Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 9:52 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Seasons
Default getting messages for a different career
My sim is an inventor, secondarily a gardener. I have the ghost hunter career disabled via one of Twallan's mods. But in this particular game I keep getting messages that apparently relate to being a ghost hunter:

"Spooks and spirits will think twice about coming to this town. Well done!"
"It was a little messy, but you got the job done. Way to go!"
"That was a close one ...Nice work! The city is in your debt."
"Nice job! Paranormal problems are no match for you."

These often pop up at the rate of two or three per minute, more often than messages about my actual career. Other than the annoyance of constantly closing these, I see no game issues; but from years of gaming i know such things could cause irreparable damage later on. Any ideas on what is causing this and how to eliminate it?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 5:05 PM
Do you have the Story Progression mod installed? If so, you're probably seeing messages about the other sims in town.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
Do you have the Story Progression mod installed? If so, you're probably seeing messages about the other sims in town.

I do use Story Progression but it is set for very limited reporting and, 1 - I import the settings to each new game, and this is the only game in which this is occurring, 2 - when it reports on other sims it always tells to which sim that message refers ("John Dough has just done this"), 3 - the ghost hunter career is supposedly disabled, so there should be no ghost hunter NPCs. The messages i listed above are exactly as they appear on screen - the same format/syntax as messages about my sim's exploits (and this sim currently lives alone, so there is no one else in the household).
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 6:04 PM
And how did you disabled the career? Under Town Options> Career Disabled> GhostHunter Career? Also did you drop any NPC's already been assigned in the GhostHunter's Career?

The Stories within NRaas StoryProgression is only limited to the ones that are generated by the mod. Some careers have there own string of notifications that will frequently pop up if they are taken by a NPC or active, but EA on some Ambitions careers didn't make this difference and thought that only active likes to play them and such notification will be seen as if an active is playing it.

Heck they didn't even got the GH music localized to wherever the event is playing, which you can hear all over town.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 9:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stevset
And how did you disabled the career? Under Town Options> Career Disabled> GhostHunter Career? Also did you drop any NPC's already been assigned in the GhostHunter's Career?

Lol, that sounds like what I did to disable it (it was three or four months ago in an older game). I followed instructions step-by-step through the options, once done I saved the options and have loaded them into each new game as soon as I could access City Hall. So unless an NPC could grab that job within the first few minutes of the game I doubt one has it. How could I tell?

The Stories within NRaas StoryProgression is only limited to the ones that are generated by the mod. Some careers have there own string of notifications that will frequently pop up if they are taken by a NPC or active, but EA on some Ambitions careers didn't make this difference and thought that only active likes to play them and such notification will be seen as if an active is playing it.

Sounds like typical Evil Alliance programming then. If it does not portend a corrupt save or other vile occurrence later in the game I guess I'll have to live with it ...unless I can locate the offending NPC, if such is the case, and assign them a different job (or toss them into the lagoon).

Heck they didn't even got the GH music localized to wherever the event is playing, which you can hear all over town.

That reminds me of a glitch in an older game. If my sim, or their spouse, has a pumpkin - in inventory, in family inventory, in the refrigerator, anywhere in the house, anywhere on the lot - then any day of the year can be Spooky Day. Spooky Day music will start playing anytime, and trick-or-treaters will appear that evening. I've had trick-or-treat on Snowflake Day or in the middle of summer heat, along with the music.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 10:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nimrod2
Lol, that sounds like what I did to disable it (it was three or four months ago in an older game). I followed instructions step-by-step through the options, once done I saved the options and have loaded them into each new game as soon as I could access City Hall. So unless an NPC could grab that job within the first few minutes of the game I doubt one has it. How could I tell?

Sounds like typical Evil Alliance programming then. If it does not portend a corrupt save or other vile occurrence later in the game I guess I'll have to live with it ...unless I can locate the offending NPC, if such is the case, and assign them a different job (or toss them into the lagoon).

If you have NRaas MasterController mod, you can do a wide spread scan, by:
- Click on the Town Hall
- NRaas> MasterController> Sim> Intermediate> Career> Quit> (filter on criteria) select Career> (list of Careers taken) select Ghost Hunter (if the career doesn't show up then none are in the Ghost Hunter Career)> (list of portraits) select ALL> Press Accept.
- All Sims in that career will be dropped from that job.

If you have SP tuned under CityHall> NRaas> SP> Town Options> Careers: Allow Find Job> True, the inactive Sim will search for a job based on what you have allowed in SP + Traits or LTW (check if they do have a Paranormal Profiteer LTW). If you don't and you want them to get another job, you will have to assign them to something else (MC> Intermediate> Career> Choose Job)

Changing LTW is also possible with MasterController, select Sim> NRaas> MC> Intermediate> Lifetime Wish> (requires the MasterController Cheats module).

That reminds me of a glitch in an older game. If my sim, or their spouse, has a pumpkin - in inventory, in family inventory, in the refrigerator, anywhere in the house, anywhere on the lot - then any day of the year can be Spooky Day. Spooky Day music will start playing anytime, and trick-or-treaters will appear that evening. I've had trick-or-treat on Snowflake Day or in the middle of summer heat, along with the music.

Still happening? I currently have a garden with Pumpkins and stashed the produce in the fridge. Luckily I have NRaas Tempest installed that corrects the Holidays, so every 2 weeks on a Friday each seasonal Holiday has been correctly triggered with those pumpkins in the fridge ;-)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 11:19 PM
Just to add, if I may. I have Trick or Treat disallowed in NRaas Retuner every way possible. And I have Spooky Day disallowed in Tempest in all of my worlds. Yet I still get the lovable costumed urchins showing up year round anyway, just not nearly as often as before. And that's without an infestation of pumpkins anywhere in town except perhaps the Grocery Store -- never made that connection with pumpkins, actually and now I wonder if there are some growing wild or in a community garden that I just never thought to look for.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 1:51 PM
If you have NRaas MasterController mod, you can do a wide spread scan, by:
- Click on the Town Hall
- NRaas> MasterController> Sim> Intermediate> Career> Quit> (filter on criteria) select Career> (list of Careers taken) select Ghost Hunter (if the career doesn't show up then none are in the Ghost Hunter Career)> (list of portraits) select ALL> Press Accept.
- All Sims in that career will be dropped from that job.

Thank you! It turns out there was an NPC ghost hunter in my town ...in fact, there were three of them! All are now in the unemployment line. And a couple of hours playing has elicited no more accolades for their accomplishments.

Still happening? I currently have a garden with Pumpkins and stashed the produce in the fridge. Luckily I have NRaas Tempest installed that corrects the Holidays, so every 2 weeks on a Friday each seasonal Holiday has been correctly triggered with those pumpkins in the fridge ;-)

Well. I cannot categorically state that pumpkins are the trigger, but i have "proven" it to my satisfaction. This only occurs in one game, but as long as there is one harvested pumpkin in my household the Spooky Day music can play anytime and the trick-or-treat crowd will ring my doorbell anytime (between 7AM and midnight). But sell all pumpkins and i will only have the one normal Spooky Day.
I have Tempest but have only made one small edit with it - to decrease the length of the worst stage of thunderstorms. That was the best compromise I could find for what i actually wanted to do - reduce the probability of rain. (My poor sims tend their gardens in the rain, fish in the rain, jog in the rain; they have the soggy moodlet most of the time from spring to autumn because it is always raining. They check the weather on their computer and of the upcoming five days it will rain four of them.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 2:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Just to add, if I may. I have Trick or Treat disallowed in NRaas Retuner every way possible. And I have Spooky Day disallowed in Tempest in all of my worlds. Yet I still get the lovable costumed urchins showing up year round anyway, just not nearly as often as before. And that's without an infestation of pumpkins anywhere in town except perhaps the Grocery Store -- never made that connection with pumpkins, actually and now I wonder if there are some growing wild or in a community garden that I just never thought to look for.

In my case it seems my household must actually have a harvested pumpkin. But this only occurs in one of my games ...I have about decided there is a random factor in Sims3 which allocates some idiosyncrasy to each game I start.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor

Well. I cannot categorically state that pumpkins are the trigger, but i have "proven" it to my satisfaction. This only occurs in one game, but as long as there is one harvested pumpkin in my household the Spooky Day music can play anytime and the trick-or-treat crowd will ring my doorbell anytime (between 7AM and midnight). But sell all pumpkins and i will only have the one normal Spooky Day.
I have Tempest but have only made one small edit with it - to decrease the length of the worst stage of thunderstorms. That was the best compromise I could find for what i actually wanted to do - reduce the probability of rain. (My poor sims tend their gardens in the rain, fish in the rain, jog in the rain; they have the soggy moodlet most of the time from spring to autumn because it is always raining. They check the weather on their computer and of the upcoming five days it will rain four of them.)

Ahhh, yes! I do have children ringing my active Sim doorbell for a Trick or Treat scenario or walking on the street visiting Community lots in their Costumes outside the assigned Spooky Day Holiday. Though I really don't mind that at all, IRL there is a lot of crazies out there, why not in the Sims 3 with a twist of fun

If the doorbell rings I just ignore them and holler: "Come back when its really "Spooky Day", no sweets until then" after a few sims minutes they all leave, when clearing out the forcefully "trick or treater"-interaction in my actives queue.

Still have Spooky Day activated in tempest, just for the day off once in the 2 weeks per season :D