Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#51 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 10:24 PM
What does it mean when plants are dripping with water? lol.

Does it mean they're watered enough... or that they need more?
Advertisement
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#52 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 10:31 PM
Overwatered.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Instructor
#53 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 10:39 PM
Just as I suspected, thanks.

You never know with Sim games. All the icons and hints seem as though could mean anything.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 11:39 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but you can compost rubbish piles. You can't compost stuff directly from the compactor, but if you go to empty the bin, then cancel it out of your queue before the sim gets the the outside bin, you can then use that rubbish for compost.

Does anyone know anything else, apart from newspapers, that can be composted? I haven't tried buying a magazine and using that after my sim has read it. I'll try it next time I play and post in here if no one beats me to it
Scholar
#55 Old 6th Mar 2007 at 11:51 PM
Piles of fallen leaves which are only available in fall if you have big trees. You just need to pile them together then you get the option of "Compost"
You can choose to compost trash instead of taking it out.
When pets break an object you may compost what's left of it
The crops you've been carefully tending can also be composted
I think that anything that goes to the garbage can get composted
Test Subject
#56 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by squall117
What are all the options on the Wishing Well?
Wish for friends:
Three random sims spawned with a lifetime and daily relationships metters at 55. Maybe it's a casuality but the sim that made the wish needed three more friends in order to be promoted at her job

Wish for money:
A bag of simoleons fell from the sky and 1000 simoleons were awarded from the bag.

Wish for romance:
A sim with a lifetime and daily relationship meter at 75 fell from the sky and kissed (tenderly) the sim who made the wish

Drink: It has no special effect, just like drinking water from a sink

NOTE 1: After using the wishing well (To make a wish) it could not be used by any sim in the house for five game hours
NOTE 2: The sim that made the wishes had the aspiration meter just a little above negative (almost red)

The same way you place a normal door in a normal wall, Keep in mind that it's imposible to place anything in "Pleasant Earth Dirt" so leave at least one free space for the door

Ahh That's why it wasn't working!
Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 12:14 AM
tip: If you have a sim that has a gold badge for gardening and a sickly plant/ tree that is ready for harvest you CAN STILL talk to the plant/tree to get it up to thriving... making the fruit/veggies better.

check out my fashions at Luna sims
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 12:04 PM
Wish for money:
A bag of simoleons fell from the sky and 1000 simoleons were awarded from the bag.

NOTE 1: After using the wishing well (To make a wish) it could not be used by any sim in the house for five game hours
NOTE 2: The sim that made the wishes had the aspiration meter just a little above negative (almost red)

All my sim got was 50 simoleons... (he was platinum), so I guess it might also be a random thing, no?
Scholar
#59 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NH1
All my sim got was 50 simoleons... (he was platinum), so I guess it might also be a random thing, no?
I don't really believe in random stuff... How was your garden by the time you made the wish? Mine was clean and tended, no trash or newspaper or anything that would lower it's rate
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 6:12 PM
Piles of fallen leaves which are only available in fall if you have big trees. You just need to pile them together then you get the option of "Compost"
You can choose to compost trash instead of taking it out.
When pets break an object you may compost what's left of it
The crops you've been carefully tending can also be composted
I think that anything that goes to the garbage can get composted

Hmmm, I haven't been able to get the "compost" option straight from the trash, I wonder if I'm using a custom compactor? I better check that next time I play

Oh and I discovered the "compost" option for my tomato plants last night. I thought my sim would fertilise it but instead she pulled it up. Luckily I was able to stop her before she did more than one :D
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 6:38 PM
This might sound like the stupidest question ever, but how do you take our your sprinklers? I keep going to grab them and it's saying that they can't be held/grabbed. I'm in buy mode, garden center.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 8:18 PM
Default Gold Gardening Badge
My Sim just made the Golden Gardening Badge and it's really funny to watch him talk.

°When he talks to the little Pepper/Bean - (Small Plants) - there seems to be a more Jokingly' exchange - a lot of laughter.
I'm afraid the other residents on the Lot feel that he's lost his mind, maybe so?

°On the other hand, when he talks to the Trees, it's more Serious talk, with some strange Bird whistling' inovoled.

Yes, it does make the Plants/Trees Happy very fast!

Fleeb!
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 8th Mar 2007 at 7:47 AM
I had my teen sim (the only one with a gold gardening badge) talking to all the plants to get them up to thriving so her parents could then harvest them. I didn't know if only the thriving plants would give you mouth watering veggies, or if the open smiley face "healthy" plants would also give mouthwatering. The sim picking already had 24 eggplants in her inventory, all mouth watering. When she picked the plants, it dropped ALL the eggplants to the level right below mouth watering (I forget!). But when she again picked the thriving eggplants, it brough ALL the eggplants in her inventory to mouth watering.

So basically, you could have all sickly plants, pick all but one, talk one plant into thriving, then pick that plant, and all the veggies in your inventory (of the same type) will become mouthwatering. Easier than waiting until their ready to harvest to bring all the plants up to thriving.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#64 Old 8th Mar 2007 at 11:33 AM
Actually, no, 4oh4error, if you actually look at the list of items in your inventory, they won't all be mouthwatering - there are probably some that are tasty in there too. I thought that was the case when I was harvesting last night. It may show the type as "tasty" or "mouthwatering" for the stack but if you click through the list you'll find some that are different levels mixed in.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
#65 Old 8th Mar 2007 at 12:58 PM
I noticed two things.

The first was that the option to "gather compostable components" appeared on my composter. (For those who asked what is compostable) I´m not sure, if it is related to a gold gardening badge. It´s really useful, if you don´t want to search the whole lot yourself for things that might be compostable.

The other thing is, that I believe the effect of stocking the fridge with fresh vegetables and fruits are actually quite complex and really thought through.
I realised that once I had put tomatoes in the fridge, the garden salad got the sparkles, but other stuff like cereal didn´t. Once I added strawberries the cereal got the sparkles as well. I did not thoroughly test this though. Maybe someone noticed this, too?
I think it would really be neat, if the kind of fresh product you stock, would determine which meals are fresh. Would make a lot of sense, that your fresh tomatoes are not used for cereal, but for garden salad.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 8th Mar 2007 at 5:58 PM
Oh wow, you are so right (insert blush smiley here since I can't find it). I assumed that they would all be mouth watering, mostly because while I had her making the jack-in-the-box, the evil jack-in-the-box got it's own place in her inventory. Great, now I'm going to have tons of tasty eggplant and hardly any mouth watering LOL.

*edit* I just had my sim chick make some eggplant juice, using 4 tasty eggplants, and she still got her random skill point. So I guess I'm still okay then.
Scholar
#67 Old 8th Mar 2007 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by abelle
The first was that the option to "gather compostable components" appeared on my composter. (For those who asked what is compostable) I´m not sure, if it is related to a gold gardening badge.
I'm 100% sure it does not need gold badge because I uded it with a sim with bronze or maybe silver, in one hour (After I finish some things and get playing) I'll edit this post and tell you if you exactly :D
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 8th Mar 2007 at 9:35 PM
My kids can't use the juicer so how do i get them to drink the apple juice? And why does my swimming pool still look normal with no reflections and ripples?

To be, or not to be,
That is the question.
Everyone has a hidden identity!
#69 Old 9th Mar 2007 at 6:41 AM
Quote:
so aspiration level when using the well may or not be a factor in rewards

I've had platinum sims use the wishing well and had positive wishes from it, so I am pretty certain that the aspiration level doesn't play a factor in whether the wishes are positive or negative. I'll have to experiment more.

Quote:
the sim that made the wish needed three more friends to get a job promotion.

I don't think there's a factor either with how many friends you need for a promotion. My robot Uli started making friends through the wishing well before she had a job.
#70 Old 9th Mar 2007 at 8:16 AM
Quote:
Can I become a plant sim from gardening?
* Yes - but it's very rare.
* First, adult or elder sims must have sprayed pesticides 100 times on plants on that particular lot. Then, every time you spray after that, there's a 10% chance of your sim being turned into a Plantsim.

Is it, really? I had both Herb Oldie and Nina Caliente turn into Plant Sims in maybe 5-6 hours of gameplay? Herb had a silver badge so he might have used a lot of pesticide, but Nina had just started gardening, she could only plant tomatoes and there's no way she would have sprayed plants 100 times. I was really surprised of seeing her turning into a Plant Sim so soon. (And now she's the perfect little gardener and Don is getting jealous of the plants :p)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#71 Old 9th Mar 2007 at 10:50 AM
The information on what it takes to make a plant sim is from the Prima guide, I believe, which has been known to be wrong/outdated in some cases. If it is 100 sprays to get that 10% chance, though, I suspect that many Maxis lots may come with a preexisting level of taintedness with pesticides, making it possible even without actively abusing pesticides yourself.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 9th Mar 2007 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by thejarviclan
If you only got 50 simoleons, it means you're using the wishing well to ask for money too often. You're lucky it didn't hit him on the head....if his hunger was low enough it could kill him. ::gasp::

I only used it once to wish for money.

I don't really believe in random stuff... How was your garden by the time you made the wish? Mine was clean and tended, no trash or newspaper or anything that would lower it's rate

It was clean (no thrash), only 1 newspaper and 1 tree that wasn't completely healthy (4 others where as healthy as could be)
#73 Old 9th Mar 2007 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
If it is 100 sprays to get that 10% chance, though, I suspect that many Maxis lots may come with a preexisting level of taintedness with pesticides, making it possible even without actively abusing pesticides yourself.

Hmm, well mine weren't Maxis lots, so I'm gonna say it's the guide that's wrong
retired moderator
Original Poster
#74 Old 9th Mar 2007 at 7:04 PM
Tend as soon as you can - the longer things are left untended, the more their quality will drop.

Water only when you see Water Many come up.

Compost or fertilize before planting - it makes plants way easier to tend.

Your second batch will probably go better than the first if you have a gold gardening badge - the difference in the boost to quality each time a gold gardening badge sim tends/waters plants is dramatic. Even so, I've found that you will probably have to have them chat with the plants a little bit right before picking to get the fruits/veggies up to mouthwatering. No matter how the plant looks (even overwatered) as long as the quality reads "thriving" you're fine.

#75 Old 9th Mar 2007 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
The information on what it takes to make a plant sim is from the Prima guide, I believe, which has been known to be wrong/outdated in some cases. If it is 100 sprays to get that 10% chance, though, I suspect that many Maxis lots may come with a preexisting level of taintedness with pesticides, making it possible even without actively abusing pesticides yourself.

someone at MATY said that there was either a Prima typo or a Maxis/EA one, because the actual code indicates it's 10 sprays before you get a 10% chance, not 100 (IIRC), which matches my actual gameplay experience.
Page 3 of 6