Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2010 at 7:13 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 1st May 2010 at 7:35 PM.
Default New Feature: Post Buttons!
Hi all!

You may have noticed a fun new feature that Delphy has just added to MTS: post buttons! These are small buttons that appear at the bottom of each post.

Some details:
  • Toggleable: You can click a button and see the count on the button change - it adds one for each person that clicks the button. If you click the button again, it removes 1 from the count. Once you've clicked a button, it'll go bold to show that you've clicked it.

• Everywhere But Downloads: Buttons will show on all posts on the site, in every area, except for those in the Downloads section.

• Multi-Click: You can click all buttons, some, or none - clicking agree doesn't prevent you from clicking disagree.

• Anonymous: Button clicking is completely anonymous - there's no way for users to tell who clicked the buttons.

• Self-Click: You can click your own buttons, if you're feeling like some button-mashturbation.

• Near-Instant: The updated count should show up automatically without having to reload the page. It may take half a second or so to register though.

• The Love Button: Click "love" to show that you love the content of the post, or just as kind of an internet hug, if someone posts that they're having a bad day.

And as a special aside, we'd like to give a huge thanks to Casey and Ravelry for the inspiration for these buttons. While we know other sites do similar buttons, being on Ravelry every day made me really miss the ability to click someone's love button here. If you're a knitter, crocheter, spinner, or weaver, make sure to check out Ravelry for awesomeness and a cute little doggie.

If you have any questions about the post buttons or experience any bugs, please let us know. Make sure to tell us what internet browser and version you're using, if you have bugs! Do Help > About in your browser to see your browser and version.

Have fun, and happy simming!
11 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st May 2010 at 7:30 PM
"click my own buttons" mashturbation? !

Love xxxxxxxxxxxxx - oh noes! My mouse button died!
It's complaining to much love giveth..haha
Field Researcher
#3 Old 1st May 2010 at 7:53 PM Last edited by rainbowtwilight : 1st May 2010 at 8:13 PM.
Cute idea but the buttons dont seem to be working for me. When I click them, they don't do anything... or maybe I just don't know how to use them

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention I have IE 8.0 on this computer
Banned
#4 Old 1st May 2010 at 7:57 PM
I love it!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st May 2010 at 8:03 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 1st May 2010 at 8:41 PM.
rainbowtwilight - Can you please tell us what internet browser and version you're using? Do Help > About in your browser to see your browser and version. Perhaps it's a version issue.

Can we have your exact version, found that way - I have IE 8 and it has more than just 8.0 - mine's 8.0.7600.16385 - what's yours?

They should work just with a regular click - you'll see, for example, "love (1)" will change to "love (2)" or "funny" will change to "funny (1)", and it'll go bold.

Edit: Okay, a note: if you click a second time, it will remove the count from the post. However, right now it doesn't unbold it when you click the second time.

And if someone else has clicked that same button it in the mean time, it may not look as if the count changes - it may even go up, as it's updating the count for that particular button when you unclick, based on the count on the server. This probably works the other way too - if you click on a button when it says just "agree" it might suddenly say "agree (2)" - it didn't add 2 just from you, it was that another person clicked "agree" between when you loaded that page (and scrolled down to that point in the page) and the time you clicked the "agree" button.

It does make sense to do it this way, it's just kind of wonky from a user perspective, sometimes.

There may be some kinks to iron help. Detailed bug reports - especially with browser version numbers - are really useful, guys.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 1st May 2010 at 8:32 PM
Okay couple of changes:

1. The buttons now show bold if you have clicked one previously, or normal if you have not
2. Clicking a button will turn it temporarily italic. Once the process has completed, it will return italics to normal

Also, another note: The button values are populated as you scroll down. If you go too fast, the servers have to play catch up, so it can take a second or two to update.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Eminence Grise
#7 Old 1st May 2010 at 11:27 PM
Hmm... when I first read HP's first post, it had Love (2). I clicked her love button four times, and it went 2 - 1 - 0 - 1 :/ In other words, it SUBTRACTED points until it was 0, then added one. After that, additional clicks didn't change it.

Sorry HP! Didn't mean to reduce your Love total!

Overall I love this idea! Though I would have added "verbose" and "argumentative", just so I personally could clean up on points
Meet Me In My Next Life
#8 Old 2nd May 2010 at 2:24 AM
Oh Goodness everytime I crawl out of my hole there is another idea, being that I am a turtle, and very slow I can not keep up with all these good ideas. I like the fact because I am on the slow side of the world, I can now just hit the tab "DISAGREE" For everything new and fast, So with that said I will now crawl back into my hole. lmao hahahaha

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Forum Resident
#9 Old 2nd May 2010 at 5:10 AM
Haha, now not only do we have to compete for the most downloads and the most thanks, now we have to compete for the most agrees and helpfuls and funnys and loves. Ouch.

Lol jk.

"Don't be a Hater
Be a Lover"
- A wise man
--------------------------
Call me Simalicious, ImSim, or Chris!
Scholar
#10 Old 2nd May 2010 at 6:16 AM
Will there be post buttons for the Moddeth Thine Sims style, too? I had to change the style to see them.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd May 2010 at 8:01 AM
Srikandi - We got a -1 once in testing and couldn't figure out why. Not sure why it seems to sometimes do that - if it's a display glitch or if it's -actually- counting as -1 on the server. If you see it again and it stays -1 even if you refresh the page, copypasta the post ID and D can check that particular post.

I'd kinda like "wtf" and "incomprehensible" buttons. :D

arathea - Yes, there will - hehe I had the same problem at first as Moddeth Thine Sims is my preferred theme now. As such, I will nag Delphy until he makes it work for that theme too.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#12 Old 2nd May 2010 at 1:00 PM
Moddeth Thine Sims now has the buttons.

Sri: Thats actually technically possible to see - if multiple users unclick at the same time, then it can appear to reduce, then increase. The only possible issues would be when it goes to negative values.

Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd May 2010 at 1:14 PM
Really neat!

Tumblr: Springbunnysims
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#14 Old 2nd May 2010 at 2:07 PM
I just noticed it and fastly went to Site News to learn more about it =) It's a really nice idea! ^^

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Field Researcher
#15 Old 2nd May 2010 at 3:04 PM
Thanks for the Moddeth Thine Sims addition!

But when I clicked a button, it went from helpful (1) to bolded helpful (1). The number didn't change. Even after a page refresh.

Using Firefox 3.6.3 (in Moddeth Thine Sims, in case that wasn't clear).

Diving into delerium yet again.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#16 Old 2nd May 2010 at 3:06 PM
tlynnjpeg: On which post did you click that? Remember, it's possible somebody else toggled *off* thier own Helpful click between the time of your seeing the original values, and you clicking on them.

Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#17 Old 2nd May 2010 at 3:33 PM
Love the idea!!

I have the same type of bug as tlynnjpeg above, though: If I click "funny" on a post - any post - that already has at least 1 funny (i.e. does not say just "funny", but has a little number after it), "funny" goes bold, but the number remains the same, it doesn't increase. It does decrease if I click "funny" again, though - which seems a bit mean since I didn't add anything to the count to begin with.

If the post doesn't have any previous funny clicks (i.e. does just say "funny"), then it works like it should and goes to "funny (1)". All the other buttons work just fine - I just can't add any funny if somebody else thought the post funny before me.

I also run Firefox 3.6.3.
Scholar
#18 Old 2nd May 2010 at 7:39 PM
Ah, buttons! Thank you!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#19 Old 2nd May 2010 at 8:01 PM
Okay I tracked down and fixed a bug with user clicks not registering (The click on Agree (1) and it would bold and turn to Agree (1)). I've also recalculated all button values based on user clicks so now they all should work ok.

Please let me know of any further bugs.

Inventor
#20 Old 2nd May 2010 at 8:38 PM
That's a very nice addition to the site.
Scholar
#21 Old 2nd May 2010 at 9:50 PM
Yeah click a love button baby! .... 0_0

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Eminence Grise
#22 Old 2nd May 2010 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Okay I tracked down and fixed a bug with user clicks not registering (The click on Agree (1) and it would bold and turn to Agree (1)). I've also recalculated all button values based on user clicks so now they all should work ok.

Please let me know of any further bugs.

Thanks for the fix -- everything seems to be working right now
Field Researcher
#23 Old 3rd May 2010 at 4:57 AM
Yay! Yeah, whatever you fixed seems to have been the problem, because it works fine and dandy now. (And it was one of your posts, #12 in this thread.)

Diving into delerium yet again.
Instructor
#24 Old 3rd May 2010 at 5:13 AM
At first I was like "Oh YAY, how FUN!"

Then someone clicked disagree on one of my posts and then I was like "NOOO! These SUCK!"

Just kidding. I think they are a wonderful addition to the site and have drawn me here a few more times a day than I normally would come. Way to keep me addicted!
#25 Old 3rd May 2010 at 6:37 PM
Interesting idea. I reserve judgement, however, on if I like or dislike it.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Page 1 of 2