Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Feb 2010 at 7:11 PM
Default Has retexturing/cloning paintings become...simpler?
I didnt want to bump the not-responded-to-for-6-months tutorial, but man, that tutorial gives off a huge vibe of being outdated. I dont know for sure, though, so I'm asking.

Is it any simpler now? What happened to just exporting, editing, importing, and saving as? ;-;

I just dont wanna do it the long long long hash generator instance modification hex generation way if it's not necessary, so I'm asking before I give it a try.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 12:00 AM
Retexturing a painting is very easy and doesn't require "hash generator instance modification hex generation" at all.

Just open up S3OC and clone the painting of your choice. The cloner will give you unique instances of everything you need them for. Name the painting how you like. Use S3PE to export only the IMG that has the actual image on it...the picture the painting has.

Cut out the painting you would like to replace that with and paste it on the IMG. Save it as dds and import it back into the painting with s3pe.

After that you should be able to just add the package to your mods folder...no need to "fix" it with the S3OC anymore

If you own Milkshape and want to check your painting out before re-importing the IMG into the package you can also export the MLOD for your painting and decompile it using the ObjTool. Import the object into Milkshape and apply the painting IMG as a Material to the object. Once you change the image you can see how it will look on your painting. But it shouldn't be necessary to tinker with the MLOD and MODL at all unless you want to change the painting mesh itself in some way.

Anyway give that a try and if you run into trouble post in meshing and I'll give you more illustrated help.

Also, I'm not sure what tutorial you're looking at but the ones I'm aware of are pretty outdated. I would steer clear of any that don't tell you to use the more recent versions of s30c and s3pe.
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 12:39 AM
Oh thank god. There's one here and on the wiki by sirkandi and it just...there's 80 billion steps and it requires like 12 programs.

What file do I open to find objects to clone? That's one thing I haven't figured out yet.

Everybody better get ready for a huge pack of wall deco once I figure it out.
Alchemist
#4 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 12:43 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 16th Feb 2010 at 1:01 AM.
Get the 0912-13-1531 version of S3OC and s3pe.

Open the S3OC and, from the selections at the top pick "cloning".

From the drop down pick "Normal objects"

You will then see a list of all the items to clone.

Looking forward to seeing your wall deco

Oh, and ignore those tutorials...they're outdated. This is super-easy now.

eta: I apologize for adding this because it's probably self-evident to you (it may not be to others who read this thread) but when you select the painting clone it should be roughly the same size/shape as the painting you want to replace it with.

You need to cut your new painting image out and resize it so that it will be exactly the same size as the EA image you want to replace. When you paste it onto the IMG you need to paste it directly over the EA one you want to replace.

The paintings are alphas so it's possible to change the IMG to fit a new IMG size/shape but that's more involved than what we're talkin' about here so far.
Banned
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 1:14 AM

:D

Though I did want to use the Poster as a base...but I had a brain fart and couldnt find the img with the actual image, because by dfault it has "alpha" checked and I wasnt able ot SEE the actual image to know it was there. I figured that out when I cloned this one to see if it was a glitch :p

I figure I'll find higher res pics and do one for each Sims 1 expansion and do a billion etc of anything I feel like.

Game is severely lacking in paintings!
Alchemist
#6 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 1:19 AM

If you wanna free yourself of the restraints of the EA painting size and don't know how let me know. You're easy to teach and you could do it easily.

Good on you

And it's possible to change the res too.
Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 1:21 AM
Nah, I like the sizes in game. The posters in particular. And I have big plans for that framed painted oval portrait from WA.
Alchemist
#8 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 1:25 AM
kk...if you decide you want one sharper there's ways. Not as easy as this but you could get it without difficulty.
Banned
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 1:31 AM
oh wait, I see what you mean. You mean the actual SIZE of that image, used to make up the painting, is much smaller than the painting is when you're zoomed in. So it's always going to look a little grainy. Right?
Alchemist
#10 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 1:34 AM
yes...there are ways to get rid of the grainy. Some of the EA paintings are particularly plagued by it if you just replace the original image. They aren't too particular over there in the mother-ship sometimes.
Banned
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 1:39 AM
Hmmm...so what do I do to make it higher res?
Alchemist
#12 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 1:59 AM
You have to buy yourself a greater percentage of the space on the IMG that is devoted to the image itself rather than the back and the frame. At least that's been my experience. You can't short the frame too much or else the frame will become pixelly...but certainly you can get rid of much of the space taken up by the back and all of the space taken up by the alpha for the hanger thingy. I mean really...who cares about those things anyway?

This is my theory and my paintings made this way have their pixels show at about the same time the EA objects have theirs break down. Look at my paintings at Indigo and see what you think. I feel like I'm probably just biased...heh...but if you feel those are sharp enough for you I can tell you what I did. But it isn't as easy as just replacing the painting image on the IMG.
Banned
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Feb 2010 at 6:00 AM
Well, I just made and uploaded a pack of 5 paintings.

I have no idea if they'll be accepted...there was some page about how MTS doesnt accept "simple copy and paste" paintings. These weren't so simple (added a special flair to them) and it isnt that simple in The Sims 3, so I don't know what will happen.