Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 1:30 AM Last edited by Rosawyn : 29th Mar 2017 at 6:52 AM.
Default Mod to allow non-parents to "ask to watch kids"
Does such a thing exist? I have the Squinge mod from here: http://www.insimenator.org/index.php?topic=95096.0 that allows the "ask to watch kids" option on all residential lots rather than just in apartments. And it's awesome. But sadly it does not allow a teenage older sister to ask her elder friend to watch her toddler sister. It's a family of orphans (much like the Newsons). What I'm looking for is a way for the teen older sister to "ask to watch kids" so she can actually go to school/leave the lot.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 1:47 AM
Oh..I hope it exists, or that someone good at BHAV's will see this...
Now that you mentioned it, we really need this.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 6:01 AM
Yeah, there are plenty of situations where a grandparent or aunt/uncle or even an older cousin could be the guardian of a toddler.

(I'd move the elder friend in before I'd actually use a "real" nanny. I could move the elder in, of course, and it would probably make a lot of sense from a story point of view. But it's just ridiculous in my mind that a teen older sister can't ask a responsible friend to watch her little sister for her.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th Mar 2017 at 6:02 AM
I looked at the code and found nothing..am I surprised? Not really.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 7:10 PM
You looked at the code? Like, you were considering trying to mod this yourself?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 8:31 PM
Yes, if I can.
How I see it is that sometimes, a mod doesn't exist just because no one yet cared to see if it could be done, or how easy or hard it would be etc.
I am not denying all these times, where it is just plain impossible to do, but if I am interested, it is worth and fun trying.
Modding is interesting as a whole to me.
I first poked in Squinge's mod to give me some pointers
Then I looked through bhav's, importing the ones I thought were related to this, or...

But maybe you just wanted a yes or a no. I could not. This forum does not allow 2 or 3 letters for a post

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 8:42 PM
Well, thanks for taking the time to look!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 9:48 PM
Yes Hiring a nanny would work. But in certain cases, you want a different scenario.
Or, your teen cannot afford a babysitter. Depending on the story in your head, you might want another alternative. And that one, does not exist unless you are yourself the parent in this game. Nothing makes more sense, than a teen being able to ask a trust worthy person to care for her/his younger siblings.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Hire the nanny. Believe it or not, kids and teens can call a nanny to watch the kids and make food and clean. The nanny is the best.

No. Good Lord, no. The nanny is horrible; after the time she left one of my infant twins lying in poop for 6 hours and refused to feed her so she nearly starved to death, I have outright refused to ever hire one ever again. You're welcome to hire them all you like in your own game if you actually like them.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 31st Mar 2017 at 11:40 PM
Look, I've already worked out how to deal with this specific family in my game: I've moved the elder friend into the household. (This was obviously preferable to hiring a worthless nanny.) But that doesn't change the fact that the restriction that only parents can "ask to watch kids" is illogical and that I would very much like a mod to change this stupid "law" in all my hoods.

Aging a teen to an adult (and having her skip university!! and having her unsync her age with all the other teens in the hood!!!!) would do literally nothing to help in this case, as apparently the restriction is due to her not being a parent and has absolutely nothing to do with her age.

Play your own game however you like. No one's saying you have to put this mod (which apparently does not exist anyway) or the unisex bathroom door or any other CC into your game if you don't want it.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 12:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
apparently the restriction is due to her not being a parent and has absolutely nothing to do with her age.

This is what I saw, I am pretty sure.
All interactions in the pie menu allows teens.
Or maybe, it is just in Squinge's mod, because he/she would have deliberately checked them.

@PlatinumPlumbbob
Yes. there is always ways to deal with anything.
Your ideas are all good, and they would all work.
But I think, you are missing the point here.
We aren't looking for ways to send her teen to school without her siblings be taken away.
We are looking for a way to allow her teen to use the *Ask to watch kids* interaction.

Theorist
#16 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 12:29 AM
While I also use the 'ask to babysit' mod from Insim, I found that this method did not work for every occasion and decided to also replace the official nanny with a younger version so having to hire one wouldn't be such a pain. So, now instead of an elder, I have an adult nanny in my game. The mod at http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,94248.0.html allows for replacing the elder nanny with a teen, young adult or adult.

I've had the default nanny replacement installed for about two years now, and much prefer it to the game one. Maybe, this could make hiring a nanny a little more appealing to you as well.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 12:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
In that case, you may ask for that in the Hacks & CC that You'll Like to See thread! The thread doubles as a forum for sharing ideas to inspire creators.

You are absolutely right!
Though I think, we all ask here first..and then if no members finds it for us, we move it to the other thread. lol

Theorist
#18 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 12:33 AM
Yeah, I'm watching this thread in case someone comes up with another solution for teens to 'ask' a friend to babysit, as I would be interested as well. In the meantime, that was the only other solution I could think of.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
I've had the default nanny replacement installed for about two years now, and much prefer it to the game one. Maybe, this could make hiring a nanny a little more appealing to you as well.

Unless they behave like the neighbour who's been asked to watch kids, then I doubt it would be much of an improvement. That is the only functional "nanny" I've seen in any sims game (the "babysitters" in TS3 were perhaps even more broken than the TS2 nannies).

Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Though I think, we all ask here first..and then if no members finds it for us, we move it to the other thread. lol

Exactly! I'd hoped the hack already existed, which is why I asked here first.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 12:45 AM
Penelope, I use to have teennannyEP8
I still have the zip in fact, in my folders somewhere. Though I had to take it out at some point, and I do not remember why!!!
So I read all the 6 pages of replies, in case... It even works with Inteen, so I really don't know why I took it out finally. lol
While reading, I found out a nice trick that would allow me to have 2 nannies of different age in my 'Hood, wow...So I downloaded the 2 other ages.
ZanKs!