Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 11:18 PM
Default Help! Outline problems...
Hi guys,

Please be gentle with me, as this is my first post here & also my first venture into custom content creation!

I followed an excellent video tutorial on YouTube (well, I tried to remember the steps myself but went back to it) & I managed to create my stencil.

I imported it into CAS Unitool & although the positioning etc. is fine on the preview, I'm just wondering why on Earth there is an ugly grey outline around it!

I've tried various things on photoshop, such as erasing & sharpening. Could it be that the image itself doesn't have straight lines? I really like this picture so want it to work!

If you could help a beginner out, I would be so grateful!

Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 11:46 PM
Moving this to CAS Parts, seeing as how it ain't an object.

It's a little hard to tell what the cause is, but looking at the sim's collarbone, a few inches above the top of the hair, there are a couple more grey spots. So, it looks like your alpha channel isn't totally black in those areas.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 6:05 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 9th Nov 2011 at 10:10 AM.
The stencils are saved as dxt5withinterpolatedalpha.
Fade out the outerline from the white on the alpha channel into grey and make the surrounding area(arround the stencil itself) black on the rgb.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 11:19 AM
Thanks guys I'll see what I can do! (just getting used to all these words )

I totally didn't notice the grey spots. Thank you
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 12:56 PM Last edited by blacktongue : 9th Nov 2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Extra info
This might sound like a stupid question, but how do I fade out to grey?

(I think I might be getting somewhere... I've worked out how to make it recolourable, at least!)
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 1:06 PM
uhm, dont mix up a stencil with a design
Stencils are not not recolourble by default.
A design is.

smoothing the edges looks a bit like this:
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 1:08 PM
Ah, gotcha. I *think* I can do that. I'll give it a go; thanks
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#8 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 1:40 PM
You can use a blur tool around the edges.