Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#126 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 6:33 PM
Perfect.

I can finally live out Pleasantview properly.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#127 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 5:01 PM
awww dont worry, dont rush it ive played many rushed "pleasantviews" and they werent very nice totally understand about the school business, college is killing me(exams exams exams exams then exam results lol). Good Luck! :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#128 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 5:03 AM
I've only seen three other Pleasantviews. One was Hraklis' version (which was Sunset Valley with all its lots replaced with Pleasantview lots) back when CaW wasn't available yet. One was mentioned in this topic a while back, but I never heard of it again outside of a few screenshots. Looked good, but was much smaller than mine. The only other I saw is one on the Exchange made by, I think a french player, but it seemed to be changed up so much that it hardly resembled the original Sims 2 version.

School recently ended for me, so when I'm not looking for jobs, I'll see if I can work more on this project.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#129 Old 27th Mar 2011 at 10:16 AM
So I opened up the file again and decided to re-work the spawners for inside of lots. Correct me if I'm wrong:

I place spawners all around the edge of a body of water, right?
Like this? Screenshot

Along the edges are Common 1 and Common 2 lake fish spawners alternating around the edge of the lake. In the center is the fresh water designator. Did I do this right?

I think it would be a lot more convenient if you could just place one spawner for each body of water regardless of size. But I don't really have a say in how the engine or CaW is designed, do I? So I guess I just gotta work with it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#130 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 7:42 AM
Anyone? I want to make sure my spawners work right, so I could use some input on placement.
Instructor
#131 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 9:25 AM Last edited by BenC0722 : 29th Mar 2011 at 9:26 AM. Reason: Typo!
Quote: Originally posted by Baron Obvious
Anyone? I want to make sure my spawners work right, so I could use some input on placement.

I don't believe that you have to place spawners near the edges. As far as I can tell, Sims can fish at theoretically unlimited distances. But that's not very realistic.

If anything, I suspect you make have overdone it with the spawners. I bet the fish will be literally jumping out of the water. Try placing fewer of them, a little farther from the water edges.

From personal experience, I've sometimes built a pond on my Sim family's residential lot, which features every single last fish spawner. The pond is barely large enough to fit them all, and I placed the spawners right next to one another without any space in between them. In Live Mode, every single type of fish is literally jumping out of the water and landing back in. Mainly I built them to help child Sims master the fishing skill without curfew concerns.

While I'm fairly sure that pond/lake wouldn't experience the jumping fish to that extreme, I think you should probably use fewer of them. Try placing them in such a way that the circles from each spawner don't overlap.
#132 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 2:38 PM
In addition to what Ben said, the more spawners you have the more taxing it is on people's computers. I would say you need about 3 at the most for that size pond.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#133 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 11:55 PM
Okay, thanks. I was under the impression that i needed to put spawners around any edge someone might stand at to fish. Thanks for correcting me, I needed that.

So just place a few here and there in places that feel like somewhere someone would want to cast a line?
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 12:04 AM
:o brilliant work so far. I have a question thought
Are you going to be making the families from Pleasantview? That'd be so cool if you do!
Or well since The Sims 3 is kind of a prequel, guess the grandparents of the old familes?
haha keep up the work!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#135 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 2:06 AM
Yes, I'm creating all of the families too. I currently have the Pleasant family ready, and I also have the Brokes and the Dreamers, but I think I need to work on those two some more. The Pleasants are very accurate to the originals, and it was pretty fun remaking Lilith and Angela. The Brokes and Dreamers are accurate for the most part, but could still use some work.

In the end this is going to be a complete, playable remake of Pleasantview, complete with the characters and story. The actual story will be the same. The only new stuff that touches on story won't interfere with official canon.

Yeah Sunset Valley plays prequel to Pleasantview, but I find that it doesn't matter if the two towns coexist in The Sims 3. They're just two stories to choose from. Some of the older characters from Sunset Valley may appear in Pleasantview in the cemetery. The deceased from Sunset valley may also appear at the cemetery as well. Of course, still deceased.
Lab Assistant
#136 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 2:26 AM
Oh that's cool! I can't wait to see your remake of the families! Especially the Broke family and the Caliente sisters
Also hopefully your are doing the big mansion from Pleasantview can't wait I am so excited! Makes me want to create a whole new world. :P
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#137 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 5:30 AM
The one by the coast? Yeah, its there. You can even fish in the pond out front! All of the buildings that were in the original Pleasantview are back in the remake. Nothing was removed. Some things were changed to accomodate Sims 3 gameplay, though. The grocery and clothing stores are now recreation centers, since clothes are customized from your dressers now with no need to buy, and grocery stores are rabbit holes. The buildings themselves are the same, just their functions are different. Also I had to 'extend' the Caliente and Lothario houses a bit to allow space for the undersides of the hot tubs.

But yeah, all the old lots are there, plus many new! Partly to expand on the original, and also because many of them are career/job lots and are thus kinda needed for gameplay.

As for sims, I don't have the Caliente sisters made yet, but I noticed they're present in the Barnacle Bay DLC town. I wouldn't necessarily bring them over directly, since that's gotta be some form of piracy (they are in pay content after all), but I'd really like to see if I could just import their faces into CaS somehow and then just build the rest from there.

Anyway:
Recent update: Re-did all of the fishing spawners, and did a little bit of smoothing out the beach. The part right where the water meets the sand on the beach looked really jagged in some places, so I took some time to smooth it out a little. Still needs work though.
Lab Assistant
#138 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 4:25 PM
Oh thats cool then! I really am excited for this.
Some other questions if I may I was lastly wondering if you created the families that came in the bin of Pleasantview?
I remember a few I liked, but don't remember their names exactly. They were related to the Pleasants if I remember correctly!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#139 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 4:03 AM
Yes, the Burbs and the Oldies will be included, as well as any extras that might be in there (I'll have to check).

Does anyone know if there's a way to 'convert' a playable sim to CAS templates, by the way? I'm asking this both for Sims 3 and Sims 2. Sims 3 so I can take some of the existing characters and ready them for Pleasantview, Sims 2 so I can get a better camera view of those that AREN'T in Sims 3 in some form or another already.
Lab Assistant
#140 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 8:08 PM
Oh I kno a cheat but it's never worked for me, ;(

it's just

edit in cas - Take the Sim back to Create-a-Sim, but it's only for 3 not 2.... at least that I know of.

btw love this!!! XD
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#141 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 3:39 AM Last edited by Baron Obvious : 4th Apr 2011 at 1:02 PM.
I tried the cheat and it doesn't work for me, including variations of it. However I've googled a few mods that will help accomplish this.

Edit: Okay... NRaas MasterController is my savior. I can open up any playable sim in CaS with it and save them to the bin for later editing.

I may actually buy some store points for Barnacle Bay to do this with the Caliente sisters, unless copying characters from paid content is illegal (even if they're edited enough to be technically custom?)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#142 Old 5th Apr 2011 at 2:27 AM Last edited by Baron Obvious : 6th Apr 2011 at 2:37 PM.
Bought some SimPoints today and used them to buy Barnacle Bay! I decided to go through with using Dina and Nina from it anyway, my reasoning being that if a user owns Barnacle Bay, there's no problem, but even if they don't, well the two are edited for use in Pleasantview and are practically different sims.

Update: Created some Sims. Saved existing sims to CAS and edited some for Pleasantview.

Nina and Dina Caliente
-Changed outfits to resemble The Sims 2.
-Changed facial structures to better resemble Sims 2 versions
-Changed personalities to reflect Sims 2 versions.
Notes: These two seriously needed some face restructuring. Their Barnacle Bay versions look like stunt doubles for Paris Hilton.
-Added Bio texts from The Sims 2

Mortimer Goth:
-Aged up to Elder.
-Outfit changed to resemble The Sims 2.
-Personality adjusted to reflect The Sims 2.
Note: Surprisingly needed little facial adjustment. All I did was change his hair a little and add a mustache.
-Added Bio text from The Sims 2

Bella Goth:
-Aged up to Adult.
-Face adjusted to better resemble The Sims 2 version. (Sunset Valley's Bella grows up to have an odd looking nose, and practically no chin.)
-Outfit adjusted to resemble Bella's classic dress. Not perfect, but its what I can do.
-Personality adjusted.

Cassandra Goth:
-Created.
-Outfit does not match exactly, but I did what I could.

Alexander Goth:
-Created.
-Outfit hardly matches. Not a lot of options for kids it seems.

Pleasant family:
Daniel, Lilith, and Angela:
-Added Bio texts from The Sims 2

Mary-Sue:
Minor facial tweaks around jaw and nose.

Broke Family:
-Added personalities.
-Adjusted Skip Broke to reflect The Sims 2

Don Lothario:
-Changed his shirt. That's about it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#143 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 2:45 PM Last edited by Baron Obvious : 6th Apr 2011 at 3:45 PM.
I believed I've ironed out what I can with the actual world for now... so as you can tell in the last post, I'm working more on Sim creation and play testing!

I have all of the major families created and in the neighborhood Sim Bin, minus the Burbs and the Oldies. I'm going to test the world a bit to see how it plays. If I don't find any problems, I may release the world as-is for public testing, to help find other errors. If there are any huge, glaring errors, I will fix them.

However I currently don't have an actual date for release, for testing or otherwise.

EDIT:

HOO yeah, already found some glaring errors in routing. Lilith ran straight up the side of a mountain instead of a staircase like she should have. Definitely going to need revising.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#144 Old 8th Apr 2011 at 1:14 PM
Another thing has come to mind... How would I go about portraying Bella's presence in the remake? I know some people would prefer that she'd never left (or has returned), but I don't want to interfere with canon too much. Is there a way I can turn her into an NPC that just comes and goes, like she was in the original? Should I just have the game start off with her dead, but resurrectable? Should I lock her in a hidden basement under the Caliente house with no way out?

(that last one is a joke)

Also Kaylynn Langerak is also an NPC in the original, but I may just move her in somewhere. Can I actually get her into a job as a maid?
Lab Assistant
#145 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 9:53 AM
im not sure coming from me but you could make a new story line like Daniel Was Having An Affair With Her So Mary Sue Found Out She Fired Her And Kaylynn Gave Up Being A Maid (She Stayed A Maid To Be With Dan). Or Anything Else Nice Job Though!
Lab Assistant
#146 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 9:56 AM
oh and check out my new show on youtube The Days Of Pleasantview!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#147 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 8:57 PM
I'll uh... leave that up to the players if they want to do that with the characters. The only 'fanon' that my remake has are very MINOR things that don't interfere with any of the original story. No extra affairs or relationships, or brand new characters designed to influence the story, or stuff like that. Hell, the only new character I would add --not saying I will-- would be an easter egg or joke character that has no impact on the game unless you let it.

Also I don't really appreciate using this thread to plug your youtube show.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#148 Old 12th Apr 2011 at 11:50 PM Last edited by Baron Obvious : 13th Apr 2011 at 12:52 AM.
Update: Looked over the terrain and decided to smooth out a lot of blocky and jagged areas. I noticed CaW seemed to perform a little better as I smoothed out more terrain.

But it seems like I can't smooth out the roads very much. Roads that go up hills tend to look kinda bumpy, and i try smoothing the terrain, or smoothing the road with the road grading tools, and up close, the roads still looks kinda bumpy. Not sure how to fix this.

Edit: Project is now officially named:

Pleasantview Forever!
The thread title has been changed to reflect this.

I'm also going to export a build for testing in the near future after some additional work. Suggestions on distribution for testing would be appreciated.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#149 Old 14th Apr 2011 at 4:46 PM Last edited by Baron Obvious : 14th Apr 2011 at 9:26 PM.
So apparently I'm not very good at re-creating Jennifer Burb. Either that or some Sims don't translate well from 2 to 3. I'll post a comparison screen later today.

EDIT:
Here it is
Scholar
#150 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 1:25 AM
If you can, make the face thinner and the mouth wider. Otherwise, she looks pretty good to me. Maybe decrease the eye scale some and bring the outer eye corners down a little. Good start!
Locked thread
Page 6 of 8