Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 6:21 PM Last edited by Kukamuukaanmuka : 12th Jan 2016 at 6:33 PM.
Default Needing help with Greek House :)
I have never ever played Greek Houses at university, and now I am trying to build one, and needing help about what should it include inside the house? To make it be as actually working Greek House ( I know it has to have those letters on the wall, or some of them, for sims moving there actually make it as Greek House, but other than that).

I did take a look of those premade houses in premade universities, but didn't much like the interior.

Any help would be super :lovestruc
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 7:04 PM
That is all you need - the letters, and for the sims to call for a charter. A Greek house could be a wall with an assortment of letters (I don't even know that there have to be three of them, but three is traditional), a tent, and some pee bushes, everything else to be built from grant money.

Frat and sorority houses, traditionally, are simply residences owned by the fraternity or sorority, where members can live, study, and throw parties. They are normally a short distance from campus and are not supported by the University. When I lived a few blocks from Angelo State University in San Angelo, we were much annoyed by the parties thrown by a nearby frathouse, which was a modest, slightly shabby, ranch house not dissimilar from ours right on the border between campus and town, on the otherwise commercial street separating them. One of the brothers had an old fire whistle (such as small towns used to use to summon the volunteer fire department) which they invariably set off at the height of the party, which of course was in the middle of the night.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#3 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 7:05 PM
Don't worry overmuch about the letters. At least once, one of the sims will visit campus and bring one of the letters back with them (unless you have it suppressed with a mod). I always wait on naming the house 'til they do that, and make the letter they bring home the first part of the house's name.

Otherwise, just build whatever sort of place you want it to be. It can be a very formal kind of place; it can be Animal House.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 7:07 PM
My Greek house isn't too extravagant because I hate giant lots that lag my computer but its still a nice size in my opinion. Its two floors. The bottom floor has the kitchen/dinning area, a small 'library' where they can study, play chess, or write their term paper, a small bathroom for guests and what I call the 'FUN' room. The party room is all tiki/beach themed with a dart board, tv, bar, the bubble blower and the photo booth. Upstairs is a hall and two big rooms where girls sleep in one room and guys in another. Each room has a bathroom area with two toilet rooms and a shower area. There's also a telescope outside and a basketball court.

I've been debating on extending the FUN room with a patio and hot tub and grill but I'm not sure yet.

I can't remember if I built it on my own or maybe just downloaded a home and completely re-did the inside. I can post pictures if you'd like. :D
Link Ninja
#5 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 7:11 PM
If you want some different examples of greek houses, you can always check the downloads section here for ideas. If you want it to start out being a greek house, before you leave the final time you will need to change the lot zoning to "changeLotZoning greek" into the cheat box. If you just build a house you want to transform into a greek house, have some YA sims move in and then have someone use the phone to apply for a greek charter and then add greek letters afterward to the wall somewhere.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Scholar
#6 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 7:14 PM
I have had a Greek house with no Greek letter (on the grounds that it had no wall on which to install the letter at the time). The fraternity at SimHampton University started with two Sims and a bunch of furniture on the lawn. The truly essential parts are to have a phone, no dorm status, at least one Sim who isn't yet a graduate, $20 and someone bothering to make the call to become Greek..
Field Researcher
#7 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 7:18 PM
One thing I can add that might be legitimately helpful; have some sort of group activity that will keep your guests occupied for a while: the bubble blower, MahJongg table, hot tub, or poker table. Something a sim generally won't drop out of until their needs compel them.

When you ask someone to pledge, they have to spend a certain amount of time at the house. Someone here will know the exact number of hours; I'd guess at 8-12 sim hours. You could invite them to 2 or 3 parties in a row, but easier to me to get them involved in one of those group activities and let them stay there until they're full-fledged members.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 7:40 PM
Thank you very much for the replies

Now I have some ideas to begin with, before this I had almost zero
Scholar
#9 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kukamuukaanmuka
I have never ever played Greek Houses at university, and now I am trying to build one, and needing help about what should it include inside the house? To make it be as actually working Greek House ( I know it has to have those letters on the wall, or some of them, for sims moving there actually make it as Greek House, but other than that).

I did take a look of those premade houses in premade universities, but didn't much like the interior.

Any help would be super :lovestruc

Honestly you don't need anything, but the house to start out. The nicer the place the higher the rent. You just build a house like normal, let your sims rent it and then use the phone to call and charter it. I don't put letters up on mine right away. Instead I play, work to make the house nice and get members. Once you have so many member you will automatically be sent a letter. I imagine the game will send a second and third letter as you gain more members, but I usually buy the second and third letters myself. The only thing required to make a working Greek house is a house, a YA sim, and a phone.

The first one I did was mostly empty except for a basic kitchen, a couch and an easel and I think a bookcase. As my founder got more friends to join up I put them to work earning money to make the house nicer and more respectable.

My second Greek house I furnished more fully right away because I had four sibling that would be moving in together and I made them work for the money in various ways when they weren't at class. So it just depends on how quickly you want to move them in and how much work you want to have your sims do.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 8:13 PM
Oh, right, I forgot about the charge! I had no idea about bringing home letters. That'd be an interesting way to find out what the organization's name was!

This is my favorite EP and there's still so much I haven't done/didn't know about!

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 9:29 PM
You need absolutely nothing, except a phone. My legacy Greek house started as a bare patch with a toilet, shower, mini fridge and a few beds tossed down on the lawn. You certainly don't need letters. All you have to do is get one of the sims to call up and turn it into a Greek house, that's it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 9:41 PM
I have 4 greek houses at the moment in Sim State. Other than a phone, nothing else is really needed - but of course it's useful to have the basic things (e.g. enough beds, bathrooms, fridge). Then things to keep people occupied at a party, such as a bubbleblower, pool table etc. It's also a good idea to have at least 1 computer per 2 students, a bookcase, and some skilling objects.

In my current greek houses, they all started with just 1 student, but currently have between 5-3 members. I had previously just 1 greek house per gender and usually had about 8 students, but to me that was just too much when I shortened semesters to 24 hours.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 9:44 PM
Any rentable property at a uni can be a Greek house. The very first one I made was a small residential rental house.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 9:58 PM
One computer per two students? I tend to have one for the whole house! Let them fight over who gets to use it! Not having one gives them an excuse to go to community lots.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 10:09 PM
My students have to go to the library for a computer - no such thing in the dorm. No bookcases either. They just sleep there (and sometimes eat) - and for everything else, they go to the lots on campus (since I worked damn hard to build all of them). As for Greek houses - it does not fit my way of playing uni since I want them to use the dorm for basic stuff only. They do have a radio (for the graduation party)
Space Pony
Original Poster
#16 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 10:10 PM
In my new mini-uni I have a residential lot what is actually just a camp cround, with pond and tent, not even the phone next door is the minimart, so sims can walk there and buy a cellphone if really needed, rest of the skilling has to be done mainly in communitylots

But yes, thank you all once again, I was hitting my head against the wall with the darn Greek House
Mad Poster
#17 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 10:15 PM
I don't tend to take my uni students to community lots often. I have 24 hour semesters, which only really gives them enough time for a party before the grind of uni work. I usually give them a computer per bedroom so one can finish their term paper while their roommate is in class. Any less computers and I tend to have to have a mad dash just before the final exam to have my sims pass.

Mad Poster
#18 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 10:54 PM
Damn, Bigsimsfan, that sounds like exactly 0 fun! But to each his own.

I've always looked down on the Greeks in real life, due probably to the terrible impression made by the guys with the fire whistle, but the great thing about them in Sims is that they're continuous households whose whole purpose is to connect students to other students. The long-term nature of the houses means you have time and funds to build something that is not only a comfortable residence, but that has a real sense of history - photobooth pictures and art projects hanging on the walls, the chintzy little bar that one brother insisted on getting, the DJ booth a dormie left as a date reward that time. The constant turnover of members means that it goes through historical periods - a Knowledge sister turns it into Study Central, but then right before she leaves her baby sister pledges and Baby Sister is Pleasure and she drags the bubble blower out of the attic and sets it up on the front lawn. Traditions can develop during play. Alumni can be invited back for parties, visits, or outings and suddenly the player is all nostalgic. Best friendships and bitter rivalries are established that will follow the students out into the main hood.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 11:12 PM
I'm not really a big player of community lots - in fact my sims only go if they own the place or they're on a date/outing. I'm not sure why I don't incorporate it into my game much. I guess I forget. My other laptop use to crash at community lots so when I got this one I jumped at the chance to take them places. It's also mostly the long loading time. Maybe my new years resolution should be to take my sims on more adventures.

All my sims live in greek houses. We don't have them in my country, so they're mysterious and interesting to me. All I know of them is from TV shows. In fact in about 6 months time I'm going to America to have a tour round my far-away friend's university campus - I'm mostly excited that I might get to see a Greek house. Admittedly, if I lived in America, I would probably be completely against them. 'Frat guys' seem annoying, and 'sorority sisters' bitchy - but in sims, they're all just friends living together, taking part in fun little traditions and having toga parties.

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 11:57 PM
I wish I could play more with community lots at uni - but the problem is, Community Lot Time doesn't work there, and without that I end up loathing community lots alltogether. So instead I equip my dorms/greek houses with pretty much anything my Sims could possibly want or need. Also, I put my visitor manager on 'auto greet', meaning that any walkby is automatically greeted - so there are always a bunch of my other playable young-adults walking in and chatting with each other This makes it feel more like a community lot and that actually made me like greek houses as well. Before, they always seemed so isolated and empty - especially because I don't go to community lots, making it even more isolated - and I preferred the busier dorms, but now that there are always a bunch of visitors, it's always really sociable and alive - I think I may like greek houses now even more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 13th Jan 2016 at 12:03 AM
I just use the set hour cheat when my uni students return to their house or dorm.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 13th Jan 2016 at 1:41 AM
Peni, you're convincing me to make the Greek house permanent in my game with the whole tradition thing. :lovestruc
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 13th Jan 2016 at 10:55 AM
Yeah I've thought about that too Jo, but that means that the Sim(s) on the community lot get double the amount of time that passed. I'm kind of strict towards that sort of thing, I want each of my Sims to get the exact same amount of time, otherwise I don't think it's fair.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 13th Jan 2016 at 1:06 PM
?? They leave the community lot at 10pm, when they arrive back home I set the hour to 10pm just like it would be in the main hood. How does that work out to double? I do send the whole dorm, which is normally 3-5 playable sims.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 13th Jan 2016 at 3:03 PM
No, you're right, I'm confusing myself here. They don't get double the amount of time, but the Sims who don't go to community lots get less time, is what I meant. That's the thing, I definitely don't like to send the whole dorm, because they all have so different interests that some of them would simply have no business at a lot where the others want to go. That's why I prefer to have my dorms/greek houses simply have everything that every individual Sim wants, so they can all do their own thing and not be stuck on a lot because a few others want/need to go there.
Page 1 of 2