Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 11:42 PM
I just started playing The Sims 3(question about the way the sims speak)
I have never seen it played and knew nothing about these games but I am loving it, and I noticed one interesting thing. It's that the way the Sims talk sounds an awful lot like the way the Sweedish chief speaks on The Muppet. Has anyone who worked on the game ever talked about how they came up with these sounds? Was this done on purpose? is there any logic to what sounds they make and when? I find this all very interesting.
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#2 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 12:01 AM
There is an entire subculture dedicated to the study and dissemination of Simlish as a second language. Not sure I know which muppet you're referring to, as it's been a while since my daughter turned to the Muppets for entertainment, but I have not heard of any specific rumor that Simlish was derived from Sesame Street.

And there is an internal logic to what vocalizations are used when, so as you play the game for endless hours, you'll be able to predict what they're about to say almost as well as a sim can.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 2:18 AM
Yeah I am starting the see that. The Muppet I am thinking of was never on SS(as far as I know) he was a character on the Muppet Show and has a cameo in all of the Muppet movies.

I am a huge Muppets fans so I just noticed some of the sounds are the same.

Very interesting. I am going to have to do some more research into Simlish.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 4:31 AM
Yeah, I don't know much popular music but I was getting the general gist of most of the songs, which is just strange. Then again i was able to follow most of Turkish Star Wars without subtitles so I may just be a freak

It is more fun to listen to then normal game dialog I will give them that, so it is yet another thing that makes this game brilliant.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 8:34 PM
According to the episode of the Muppets that starred Ethel Merman, The Swedish Chef speaks "Mock-Swedish". Ethel was fluent in this language, and was the only guest star that was able to understand him. Yes, I remember that episode, and no, I didn't have to google that.

As for Simlish, there are lots of theories about what sound came from where, but generally speaking, it is just gibberish. There are, however, certain words that have been "translated" into every day speech: "dag-dag" is goodbye, "nooboo" is baby, etc.
Instructor
#7 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 11:12 PM
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 11:54 PM
Here is the Wikipedia page for Simlish: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simlish
One Minute Ninja'd
#9 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 3:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
According to the episode of the Muppets that starred Ethel Merman, The Swedish Chef speaks "Mock-Swedish". Ethel was fluent in this language, and was the only guest star that was able to understand him. Yes, I remember that episode, and no, I didn't have to google that.

Now I am in total awe of your fund of knowledge. I'm usually pretty good with arcane knowledge and isolated facts, but that is outstanding. Ethel Merman really did a Muppets episode? And she was fluent in Mock-Swedish?? Damn, now I know to skip playing Trivial Pursuit with you for money.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 6:36 PM
Yeah well You may want to skip playing it with me as well then

Thanks for all of this info. I love learning this kind of stuff.
One Minute Ninja'd
#11 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 7:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EvilMcNastySim2015
Yeah well You may want to skip playing it with me as well then

Thanks for all of this info. I love learning this kind of stuff.

What? You remembered the episode with Ethel Merman as well? Am I the only one who doesn't?
Theorist
#12 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
What? You remembered the episode with Ethel Merman as well? Am I the only one who doesn't?

For your viewing pleasure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qkUBdtZ4mQ
:D

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
One Minute Ninja'd
#13 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 8:45 PM
Well, fine. So there's an entire YouTube section devoted to the Muppets and their guest stars. Now I can relive my daughter's toddler years.