Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2006 at 10:57 AM
Default Flashing terrain in downloaded lots
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest why you would get flashing terrain in a lot that has been downloaded.

Three people have reported this in my Enterprise lot,
(this is upsetting to me after the time I spent on it, and how I have presented it in the screen shots).

I have communicated with one of the people and they have all the same EPs (all of them).

I did leave out a couple of terrain files that were in the original packaged lot,
(I had gone over them completely with other terrain) but even after the person got the files it still was flashing.

So please 'oh wise ones', any suggestions that could help,

(I haven't heard if anyone has successfully got the terrains yet...)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2006 at 1:05 PM Last edited by niol : 4th Feb 2007 at 5:31 PM.
Too bad, this age-old problem is still around...
If reading all those threads cannot help, then welcome to join us! :rip:

Edited: May read back to your lot thread to see if my post works first.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...56&postcount=46

How about making at least one of these thread as a sticky to remind people of the trouble of terrain paint...?

Related threads about [terrain paint/ ground coverings] linkage:

@MTS2,

Blue Flashing Terrain Again
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=178214

Disappearing terrain paint
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=192050

Ellatrue's suggestions
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...75&postcount=13

Flashing terrain in downloaded lots
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=142042

Package with ground textures
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=120589

Removing Ground Covers on pre-built lots
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=109695

Turning off Terrain paints
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=116045

cyclonesue's experiences
http://www.modthesims2.com/sh...88&postcount=15
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=52036

Spotty marks left in only 1 Custom terrain (of 10 on lot) after changing graphics
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=218827

http://www.variousimmers.net/
Game crashes when I try to upload a lot
http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimfo...hread.php?t=622
Lot Packaging Terrain Glitch
http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimfo...read.php?t=2576

TSR - cyclonesue
The Terrors (and Triumphs) of Terrain Paints!
http://forums.thesimsresource.com/s...ad.php?t=282627
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 4:48 AM
Thanks for all the info Niol.
Hopefully the new Enterprise file will sort out the problem.
As I said in the edited info of that post,
after installing the new OFB patch, I went back in and re-packaged the lot.
This time when checking with Clean Installer it only had the 9 terrains that I used, and not the 2 extra ones I had originally used but deleted.
So I wonder if the new patch has anything to do with this...

I shall cross my fingers and hope that it will work for everybodynow.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 4:51 AM
Paint over the flashing terrain with any other terrain paint you have- it will still flash blue so use the biggest circle and paint all over- then hold ctrl and unpain and it should remove it.

For all of my creations and more free downloads please visit Exnem Sims
Grand Re-Opening NOW!!!
Come join our Banner Contest Today!!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 10:07 AM
Hopefully, the NL or OFB patch does fix it perfectly... Let's cross the fingers... :bandit:
but for users of non-(NL or above with the latest patches), serious cares are still necessary. Let's hope Maxis is not being too pushy that this fix will appear in the next patches for the base game and UNI if any...
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 3:07 PM
Damn I actually wrote a nice long easy to follow explanation about this and how to avoid it and how to fix it somewhere in Building Requests but I can't find it =| That will learn me for not making a copy. This was driving me crazy until I worked out what NOT to do lol.

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Instructor
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 4:16 PM
Hey guys! Painting it over didn't work for me. But I got rid of it by placing flooring over all the flashing parts (there are even some grass and dirt floor tiles you can use). It was a little tricky - I had to tilt it and do it when it was between flashes, and I think I used Moveobjects to floor the area on the other side of the street (I don't remember exactly).

Also, when I build a lot, I log on as a different user and only put in the terrain paints I'm using for the specific lot. It's a clean installation that only contains building materials I can upload to MTS2.

My regular game that I actually play has all the terrain paints, and I've found that if I try to strip any off a lot with CI, I'll get the flashing.

~I no longer play Sims, so I'm not taking requests, sorry~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2006 at 5:33 PM Last edited by niol : 24th Mar 2006 at 6:13 AM.
An aim of the NL and OFB patches is to solve this problem.
Sadly, there's not a new patch for TS2 and UNI yet.

here's your post, Loverat, and this'll add more infos here...
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...00&postcount=10

By the way, the cheat is just to silence the terrain paint/ground-cover graphically by not drawing them out. The data about the terran are still in the lot package file.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 12th May 2006 at 9:14 PM Last edited by corvidophile2 : 12th May 2006 at 9:24 PM.
Same issue here, so far 3 people have experienced blue flashing terrain in the Summer Breeze Villa and i can't figure out why. I assume it can't be like that for everyone but why does this happen? As i was aware of the problem i haven't removed ANY of the terrain paints i used for this lot and that's why you can see in the lot files terrains that are not visible in the lot but exist because i've played with them while i built it.I didn't remove them purposedly!

Still 3 people so far have mentioned this , it is very weird , i read through all the links but i still don't understand. I didn't remove any terrains nor while building nor while packaging this lot! What is causing this for some people? Could it be a wrong install, the package?

I asked for feedback in the upload thread so i can understand. I feel so discouraged and aggravated by this.

I really need someone to further explain , the only thing i disabled to upload was design modes and recolors, and i checked 3 times!

No terrain paints removed i repeat!

Confused....

Thanks in advance

Corvi

edit: i have all expansions, not booster packs and all patches.

You will find my older and newest creations here
Mistress of architectural mishaps
retired moderator
#10 Old 12th May 2006 at 10:49 PM
Corvidophile, I tested your lot and took some screenshots of what I'm getting:

not the regular 'flashing blue' but more of a 'flashing black' with the terrain paints showing underneath - so it does not appear to be a 'missing terrain paint' problem but I'm rather clueless as to what it could be as I have never seen anything like it before

If anyone else has seen this before or knows how to fix it, please report here - any info is greatly appreciated

Retired from Simming
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 12th May 2006 at 11:44 PM
It happened in one of my lots before and thought it was a graphics problem, although that lot worked fine for others but not for me . so weird.

Could it be a terrain paint in particular that's causing the problem? This lot however works just fine in my game, i am so confused! I think it happens while packaging and installing anew.

I think i will take the terrain paints i used on this lot , one by one and place them in an empty lot each ( one per lot) then package , then i will need someone to test the lots and see if any of these lots get the flashing.

I think it is a good way of pinpointing the problem and finding answers.

Any volunteers?

Thanks in advance

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 12th May 2006 at 11:55 PM
Yup, send them to me Corvi- I'm testing your second lot now.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 13th May 2006 at 12:33 AM Last edited by corvidophile2 : 13th May 2006 at 2:26 AM.
OK , anyone interested in testing this can found the 11 terrain lots here

I assume if there is a problem with any of these terrains the lot will flash if not we will have to search for an asnwer elsewhere.

Thank you in advance

I will not stop untill i have an asnwer to this problem.

Corvi

edit: Tested and failed lol terrains work just fine

Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 13th May 2006 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by niol
An aim of the NL and OFB patches is to solve this problem.
Sadly, there's not a new patch for TS2 and UNI yet.

here's your post, Loverat, and this'll add more infos here...
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...00&postcount=10

By the way, the cheat is just to silence the terrain paint/ground-cover graphically by not drawing them out. The data about the terran are still in the lot package file.

Trying to access this link and get this

vBulletin Message

corvidophile2, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account from accessing this area.

*sigh*

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 13th May 2006 at 1:49 AM
The thread has been deleted and is in the archive, that's why it's not visible. This is what Loverat said:

Quote: Originally posted by Loverat
I think I can help you but I will start with an explanation about terrain paints and how they *work* in the game. If you know this is advance its easier to make sure you don't do certain things while building a lot.

Problem A: If you use any terrain paint in your lot at all - the game ALWAYS includes/references the first terrain paint that shows in your catalog whether you use it or not. Now I found out the hard way (after creating my GilliSims Isle lot 4 - yes 4 times!) that under no circumstances while building a lot should you DELETE that first terrain paint in your catalog. If you do the result is an unpackageable lot. I spend time on a lot then shut down and go do something else all the time. I found that deleting that terrain paint while a lot is using it can also result in big blue terrain problem all over the lot.

Problem B: Even if you just click on a terrain paint to get a better view of it - the file is *added* to the lot and will package with it.

Solutions for Problem A: While in the process of building any lots - refrain from deleting or adding new terrains. Make a note of the first terrain in the catalog. I now go in and add/delete terrains between lots to save myself grief.

Solution for Problem B: Make a note of the name of every terrain paint you use while building a lot - then when it comes to uploading it you can repackage it with Sims 2 Clean Pack Installer less the 15 paints the lot doesn't even need!

Now if I am going to build a lot and know I will be needing to use a lot of terrain paints I make a practice lot first and work out which terrains I want to use beforehand so I am not clicking on ever freakin one!

A possible solution for your problem.

I haven't tried this cheat so I urge you to make a copy of the lot. You can do this by putting it in the lots and houses bin first and then placing it in a Neighbourhood again. Unpeopled lots stay in the bin until you delete them or at least they do in my game (uni and nl).

Now for the cheat:

boolprop lotTerrainPaints (True/False) Set to false to remove floorpainting on lot

so at the *cheat* box you would type:

boolprop lotTerrainPaints false

and hopefully it will remove any terrains you used.

At this stage I would save the lot and see if it packages. If so you can go back in and repaint using my guidelines above.

I know it seems like a hassle but its less of a hassle than redoing an entire lot =/ Now I package my lots everytime I save to Neighbourhood so I have a backup at hand.

Let me know how this goes if you try it!
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#16 Old 13th May 2006 at 1:59 AM
OK PLease try this- As its always worked for me and everyone Ive told it to-
Select ANy terrain paint in your options- Use the largest tool size and paint the WHOLE LOT..... The terrain will still be black/blue....
Now keeping on the largest tool hold ctrl and repaint the whole lot while using that tool and it should all disapear.

Grand Re-Opening NOW!!!
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 13th May 2006 at 2:09 AM
That's useful information i already was aware of though.I do have an earlier version of the lot packaged ( i package my lots also just in case something bad happens and i hate losing progress of my work)

Again , if anyone wants to test this version can get it here:

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=101893

I have tested this and i have no problem as long as with every other version of this lot.I still don't get it!

Thanks again SimSample for the testing, i appreciate it!

Corvi

edit:LyricLee i don't have a problem with the lot but if you don't mind i will paste this info in my upload thread so if anyone encounters this to be able and work it out.Thanks

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#18 Old 13th May 2006 at 2:31 AM
Not at all corvid- Its an easy fix for alot of people when they downlaod lots and a terrain paint is missing- its always worked for me

Grand Re-Opening NOW!!!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#19 Old 13th May 2006 at 2:36 AM
I do believe "boolProp lotTerrainPaints false" will remove all terrain paints from a lot at once too.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 13th May 2006 at 2:48 AM
That cheat actually disables the terrain paints for the lot, so that you will not be able to apply any other terrain paints until you set it to true again. It's fine if you just want a bare ground, though- but it hides the textures instead of removing them, they reappear once you turn the cheat off.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#21 Old 13th May 2006 at 2:49 AM
Shows ya how much I play. *shrug* Thought I'd heard it in relation to removing them for upload before. Ah well. Thanks, simsample. How do you fit all that in that cute little head of yours?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 13th May 2006 at 3:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LyricLee
Not at all corvid- Its an easy fix for alot of people when they downlaod lots and a terrain paint is missing- its always worked for me

Ok silly question but will this actually remove all the terrain work from the lot ? Or did you mean undo the action by "re-paint"? If so the previous terrain remains.. which is great.

edit: i used the boolprop cheat too and after i did it i wasnt able to apply back any terrain to the lot even after i turned it off.Oh the problems...
So i never used it again.l ol

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#23 Old 13th May 2006 at 3:14 AM
If someone downloads a lot and the terrain paint that was used is not packaged withthe lot- they getthe blue or black glitch.

By repainting with any terrain- then unpainting holding ctrl- you remove all terrains and the blinking error.

Grand Re-Opening NOW!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 13th May 2006 at 4:05 AM
Sorry to hear you have the blue terrain problem corvidophile2,
well not you but others that try to install your lots,
I know how it feels to create your wonderful lot then find out that people are having problems with it.

I recovered from my blue terrain problem on the Enterprise lot by going back to an older lot that I hadn't done the terrain on. (I ended up with about 5 enterprises in my neighbourhood, all in various progress of building).
Since the terrain is the last thing I nomally finish off on a lot it wasn't too bad to sort out... just took a long time to recreate it all over again :D
For the second time I used Clean Installer to search my downloads and then disabled all the terrains that I wasn't going to be using. (it changes the .pcakage to .off).
Then I redid my terrain and made sure all my (switched on) terrains were included in the lot file.

Unfortunately I don't know how to recover from a lot that has been completed and uploaded other than the paint all over it then CTRL paint it all awa, leaving the standard green grass colour.

I guess as others have mentioned the best way to avoid the dreaded blue flash problem for lot creators is to:
1. Only have those terrains you want in your downloads folder (or all the unwanted ones switched off) when you create the lot.
2. Next ensure all of terrain files that were inyour donwloads folder are present in the packaged lot, [ even if you used the CTRL paint function to remove/painted over one, for they are still there hiding !].
3. Finally make sure if you do use custom terrains that you highlight the need for downloaders to have all terrain packages ticked when using clean installer.

I guess I could ask another question:
Has anyone tried to recover an old lot that has used old terrains that you may have deleted?
if you remove/turn off all yor terrain files, giving blue picture when you next enter the lot, then paint over terrain followed by CTRL paint to return to standard grass, if you then package the lot will it still produce blue flashing terrain for others ?

I have a few lots that I created before I thought about uploading, and thus have custom terrain content which I have no idea where it came from, therefore unable to rightfully upload. What I dont want is to clear it all off and end up with blue flashing problem, and I dont have any earlier versions of the lot without the terrain

enough rambling
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 13th May 2006 at 4:44 PM
Hi Duds thanks so much for replying, i 've done a little testing today, i've installed in my game 10 lots that had terrain paints ( lots with all expansions to OFB that i got from the exchange) and got them in the game with Clean Installer without the terrain paints. To my surprise none of them had a blue flashing terrain. I really don't think its' caused by missing terrains and i don't think it happens to everyone that installs it in the game.As i said i had a lot before with blue flashing terrain and send the exact same lot to a friend and it worked just fine in her game.So is it more like a glitch caused by certain unknown circumstances in the game than an actual lot problem? As i believe that it is not everyone that encountered this definitely.More than 1500 people got that lot, wouldn't more reply back than just 3 ? Just wondering...and keep testing lol

Corvi

Locked thread
Page 1 of 4