Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:07 AM Last edited by LEsherick : 7th Sep 2009 at 3:32 AM.
Study/Den

As you enter the Study from the stairs you will notice a chess table on your left and as you round the corner their is a door to a bathroom and a bookshelf on your right. Day

As you enter the main part of the Study on your right is a desk one of two in the room and the sitting area where a portrait's subject can pose for the Artist. Night

Along the next wall is a large bookshelf where one can also display small objects of interest. Also in the picture is the second desk. What I was not able to show you was the Easel which was opposite of the couch. Day

Living Room

View from the back porch door. Day

Couch and Sitting area Night

Second sitting area, more formal area Day
Advertisement
Scholar
Original Poster
#52 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:23 AM
LEsherick, thanks so much for entering!

I would like to ask why your pictures are so dark? Are you using the PrtScn key and cropping them? Please take a look at my tutorial to correct that stupid problem. *shakes fist at EA*

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=337362

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Test Subject
#53 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 5:07 AM
I did try to lighten the pictures. I guess I will have to work on the pictures some more.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 11:34 AM
@ LEsherick, take at a look at the tutorial of Sisaly, it's really useful. A quick tip, while taking pictures, play in window mode, to avoid the very dark picture.

Challenge breeds Excellence
Scholar
#55 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 11:37 AM Last edited by TRIriana : 7th Sep 2009 at 6:05 PM.
Default TRIriana: Application
Living Room

Day

Night

The living room is aimed at suiting the type of people who prefer to entertain in a relaxed, spacious and relatively sparse environment. The decor is aimed at matching the walls, which as Picture A shows at mostly wood-pannelled. The green and white wallpaper was added later, to match the overall theme. There are two main focal points of the room: the fireplace, which serves to create a warm ambiance at night and the television/bar area Picture C, which is situated to the front of the living room.

There are four large arched windows within the living, and all open onto a garden to allow the scented fragrances of flowers into the main room Picture B.

Den

Day

Night

The Den area is part of the same house, and the feel of this room is quite a contrast to the living room. As Picture A shows, this particular room is split into two and a balcony area reaches out onto the lower level. The lower level is aimed more toward lounging around and gaming Picture C, and would be suited toward the younger generation. The upper level is the reading room Picture B and, although small, provides a quiet space where a person can chill on their own over coffee. The walls are pannelled, and this time the white is partnered with shades of blue to give a more formal air to the room.
Scholar
Original Poster
#56 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 11:43 AM
YAY!!! TRIriana is in the house. Great entry, and now we just need one more contestant, but 10 more would be even better!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Scholar
#57 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 11:45 AM
In the end, resistance was futile. .
Field Researcher
#58 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:56 PM Last edited by JaneSamborski : 6th Sep 2009 at 10:39 PM.
Default JaneSamborski: Application
Study:

According to a study by the University of British Columbia, different colors are better suited to different tasks (article at NPR ). Students taking tests scored better in logic and math when the test book was red, and better in english comprehension and analogies when the test book was blue. This kid friendly study is designed with that research in mind.

Day

The wall to the right of the entrance is lined with bookcases, interrupted only by a computing station. The rig is top of the line, which won't matter much if the occupants are word processing, but it is sure to please gamers.

Night

The reading nook towards the back of the room feels airy and light, while the study table is divided off to minimize distractions at homework time. The study is completed by a aquarium display just to the left of the entrance.

Day

Living Room:

This large living room is both an area for entertainment and for entertaining. When guests enter they are greeted by an open conversation space, seating, and a bar (not pictured).

Day

The center piece of this room also serves as a divider between the open entry way and the more formal entertainment center. The current oppucants are using the display case to showcase their gem collection.

Day

There is seating for up to eight in front of the television, and there is more than enough room for dancing, making this an excellent location for parties or movie night.

Night
Field Researcher
#59 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 2:58 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I also have a question. Is there any reason why all the pictures can't be at night? Because its so much easier if I don't have to fast forward to take half the pictures.
Test Subject
#60 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 3:46 PM
Hi,

Uhm, since i don't have much experience with the caST-Tool and need some practice i'll enter this contest - I could really learn something. So please, count me in. I will start my Game right now, so you'll get my application tonight.

I hope this is okay for you, and excuse my bad use of the english language, i could need practice in that too^^

Pai
Test Subject
#61 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 4:24 PM
I updated my pictures. Note that the Study/Den is supposed to be a somewhat dark place. But all the pictures are lightened up and I did read the tutorial and used those tips.
Field Researcher
#62 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 8:37 PM Last edited by sammann89 : 6th Sep 2009 at 11:58 AM.
Hi, I have been 'umming' and 'ahhing' as to whether to do this or not. I tend to do modern houses that aren't to dark or dingy so a lot of the time my walls are quite bright. With this house it's got a hint of retro to some bits of it and i stuck with natural colours with injections of colour here and there. I used the CAST quite alot, might not seem it as it's quite minimalistic...Anyway enough jabbering here are my pictures:

This is obviously the living room,with the main part of it sunken, I tend to have this in most of my houses for some reason. I think it makes the room more interesting.
DAY

DAY

This is the living room at NIGHT, as it's a place for relaxing I don't like it to be too bright at night!

And this is the study area, it's quite small so was hard to get good angles for pictures!
DAY

DAY

This is the study at NIGHT, with a warm fireplace to sit by in peace and read a book at the end of the day.

My Sims 3 Creations
Nothing matters. We're essentially all highly evolved monkeys clinging to a rock that's falling through space and the rock itself is dying. Frankie Boyle.
Just call me sam its easier.
Scholar
Original Poster
#63 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 11:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JaneSamborski
Sorry for the double post, but I also have a question. Is there any reason why all the pictures can't be at night? Because its so much easier if I don't have to fast forward to take half the pictures.

Jane, so glad you decided to enter. Can't wait to see the rest! As for the night time pic, I'm sorry for that, but it is one of the rules. It shows us judges how your lighting is. TS2 had a cheat for setting the time, is that still in TS3?

Quote: Originally posted by pai.kea
Hi,

Uhm, since i don't have much experience with the caST-Tool and need some practice i'll enter this contest - I could really learn something. So please, count me in. I will start my Game right now, so you'll get my application tonight.

I hope this is okay for you, and excuse my bad use of the english language, i could need practice in that too^^

Pai

We would be glad to have you Pai! Yes, there is always something to learn with this game and about design. That's one of the reasons I'm hosting this contest.
No worries about the english!

Quote: Originally posted by LEsherick
I updated my pictures. Note that the Study/Den is supposed to be a somewhat dark place. But all the pictures are lightened up and I did read the tutorial and used those tips.

They are much improved LEsherick! Thanks for doing that. It is a pain in the but that the lighting is on one hand, beautiful, and on the other, hideous. WE must do the best we can with what EA gave us.

Sam, welcome to the figh....I mean contest. LOL
You did wonderfully with a minimalist style while incorporating pattern and color!

OMG! Can't wait....this is going to be so much fun...

Field Researcher
#64 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 4:05 AM
I'm not sure I phrased the question clearly enough: I have no problem with taking my pictures at night... But can I take them ALL at night?

The game just isn't friendly for picture taking... If I could use camera-man mode in build/buy that would be fine, but I CAN'T. It just makes everything more complicated if I have to put the game on fast forward for a full day just because I want to retake one shot.
Scholar
Original Poster
#65 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 4:14 AM
I'm not sure I phrased the question clearly enough: I have no problem with taking my pictures at night... But can I take them ALL at night?

The game just isn't friendly for picture taking... If I could use camera-man mode in build/buy that would be fine, but you CAN'T. It just makes everything more complicated if I have to put the game on fast forward for a full day just because I want to retake one shot.

Jane, I get what your saying. But everyone else has to have TWO day pics and one night pic. It would be unfair if I changed it now.

Fastfoward sucks for me too. Would it be easier if you did your rooms and then save a game for the daytime and save another for night? That way all you have to do is go into your day or night game to take pictures...though honestly, the time it takes to do that you could just FF.

I'm not trying to make it really difficult, but it is a contest and they are the rules. So sorry. I really want you to continue on as I think you have a lot to offer to this contest.

How long does it take for you to FF from 7am to 7pm?

Field Researcher
#66 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 4:57 AM
Sigh. Not that long, its more a matter of the fact that I'm building in the hood I'm playing. For some reason it didn't even occur to me that I could make a second save game. I must be having a slow moment. I guess I'll do that (stupid EA limiting cameraman mode... *whine* *complain* *stomp feet*)

What kind of penalty am I looking at if I don't retake the shots of the study?
Scholar
Original Poster
#67 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 5:29 AM
Sigh. Not that long, its more a matter of the fact that I'm building in the hood I'm playing. For some reason it didn't even occur to me that I could make a second save game. I must be having a slow moment. I guess I'll do that (stupid EA limiting cameraman mode... *whine* *complain* *stomp feet*)

What kind of penalty am I looking at if I don't retake the shots of the study?

It's a one point penalty PER room. And for the next round, if I were you I'd start a whole new game, that way you need not worry about your 'hood.

And yes, EA really screwed the pooch with many aspects of this game. *#@%&^(*%$ EA!!!*

To ALL contestants......PLEASE label all of your pics either day or night for the judges. It was stated in the OP..

Quote: Originally posted by Sisaly
Please label the Night pic.

Thank you!

Lab Assistant
#68 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 5:53 AM Last edited by babu357 : 6th Sep 2009 at 7:07 AM.
Since I used a funky Gothic theme and hardly any windows in my living room it's as bit hard to tell day from night but if you look at the pictures marked "day" there's a sliver of daylight in them. It basically goes: Night/Day/Day, in both sets.

They are intended to be a bit dark since that's the mood I was going for.
But I also realize they have to be able to be seen clearly for judging.
They look great on my picture viewer but I know sometimes it's a different deal once online so let me know if they need to be lightened.
Babu

Scholar
Original Poster
#69 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 5:58 AM
babu, you have a PM!

Scholar
Original Poster
#70 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 7:14 AM
babu, you got it! YAY!!

Now for everyone to at the least put 'DAY' or 'Night' above each pic we will be good to go.

This is why no one is eliminated this round. Next round, you will all know the drill and have no problems.

Test Subject
#71 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 1:42 PM
Sorry, but am I too late? I'm always messing up the Timezones and i had much Problems with my Game the last night...
Scholar
Original Poster
#72 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 1:48 PM
No, you are NOT too late. You have 11 hours. If you need help, go here...

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Test Subject
#73 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 2:54 PM

LIVING ROOM - MODERN AND BRIGHT
This open, bright room is the living room of a former farm, which has now been modernized. However, since some old furniture was available, those Pieces were reused and thus created a mixture of old and new. The dominant colors here dusty rose, coral and white are interspersed with the chairs and stools in light blue, to pay tribute to the new modern time.

STUDY & OFFICE - WARM AND CHARMING
The office of the House seems to be a little dark, but the warm brown tones will bring comfort - even in an area in which most People only work. The colors are matching and the harmony is not broken by anything. This space is perfect for learning or reading a book, but also chess players and artists can feel at home here for hours - even if this room isn't that modern.

Okay, that's it... Thanks for the Link and as you see I had enough Time^^
Scholar
Original Poster
#74 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:21 PM
Great job Pai!

I'm debating about extending until tomorrow. One of my judges won't be able to get on until tomorrow afternoon. I hate to close the round and wait so long for scores.

OK, I just talked myself into EXTENDING applications until tomorrow Monday, 7pm GMT-5.

Test Subject
#75 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:26 PM
Thanks so much!^^ But can I change the Study/Office Room until tomorrow Night? Because I got a new Idea and don't like my actual Room anymore *smiles a bit*

Page 3 of 10