Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 10:47 PM
Default Rabbit Hole Rugs?
So I've had some rugs downloaded into my game for ages now on a reccomendation but since I've never been exactly sure what they do I've never been comfortable using them.

I know that you can build a building and put the rug in it & the game starts treating that like what the rug says it is but does that lot become an actual rabbit hole in the sense that your Sim will disappear into it or that when you're in mapview you'll be able to select the appropriate reaction but you'll actually be able to go inside the building?

I'm sorry if this is super obvious or something but this is one of those "explain it to me like I'm stupid" things for me.

Queen of the Land of Typos.

Check out my simblr.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:01 AM
Say you have an empty lot and you place the school rug down, Sims will walk over the rug and disappear similar to the actual rabbit hole. you can build around it, put it underground, as long as the Sims can physically get to it, they'll use it. AKA, don't block their paths or forget to add a door.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:40 AM
Make sure you put them with a nice amount of space on all sides, otherwise Sims will stamp their feet and bitch because they're too fucking stupid to navigate around that one single plant pot.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 7:05 PM
If you play in EA worlds you don't need them, and if you accidentally delete them you can just put them back later. If you delete them you have to search a bit to find them if you need it, and do some casting .,. or not, when you put them back. otherwise than that no problemo. You can just make a backup folder outside your games folders in document and store them there for the time being. If you have any strange issues you need to sort out you can do that.
One Minute Ninja'd
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 12:21 AM
Actually, even in EA worlds they come in handy. i especially like to use the large tower RH rug for my resorts and place it in a tasteful small building than end up with the giant nuclear power plant cooling tower that the game would otherwise require. It's also handy if you want a smaller equestrian building if you're into horses and competition, but don't want the big equestrian center RH that came with Pets.

There are also RH doors available as well, which work like the rugs, but you simply place the doors on the structure you want to be the RH, and the sim will "enter" the RH by passing through the door. Just another creative variation for the issue out there.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 2:41 AM
I love those rabbit hole doors. I also put a hidden room marker behind them. The sim enters door in the hallway (hospital) and I have something
nice to look at while waiting for them to come out. It kinda helps with immersion since I don't physically see the sim vanish.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 1:42 PM
I've had the rabbit hole rugs and doors for some time and I've been finding them useful for adding a second school to a town or making rabbit holes fir a world and a legacy.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NaeShelle
So I've had some rugs downloaded into my game for ages now on a reccomendation but since I've never been exactly sure what they do I've never been comfortable using them.

I know that you can build a building and put the rug in it & the game starts treating that like what the rug says it is but does that lot become an actual rabbit hole in the sense that your Sim will disappear into it or that when you're in mapview you'll be able to select the appropriate reaction but you'll actually be able to go inside the building?

I'm sorry if this is super obvious or something but this is one of those "explain it to me like I'm stupid" things for me.

You can lay them down almost anywhere, just pay attention that there is a "door" in that rug, it's something like this -

R R
R D with R being the Rug and D being the door. inside it.

Leave a 2x3 space in front of that door, meaning that there are no entrances to other things - stairs, doors, furniture (like the space in front of a sofa), and of course those things themselves.

Like this:
R R
R D
* * * ( * being spaces that are completely free of everything). It might work if you don't do this, BUT... ever watched a school around 9 o'clock and crashing because there was a huge crowd of clogging the entry of children and teenagers and teachers? That would eventually happen. Also try to get the newest version possible, there have been a lot of changes to rabbitholes (including the quests and possible interactions), so even if they function, they might not give you all the possibilities they should.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Sep 2014 at 6:43 AM
Ohh, OK! I've been wanting to build my own stuff for a while now but I just didn't know how possible it would be. Thanks, guys.

Queen of the Land of Typos.

Check out my simblr.