Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 4:21 AM
Default 3 Colored hair help
I am wanting to learn to make hair with 3 different colors but in a odd way...

I am wanting one side of the front blue, the other side red and the back black like this doll

Any help would be great thanks
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 3:55 PM
It is possible in 2 ways. One recommended way and one not-so recommended way.

1. the Control map of the hair. You see these blue, red, green parts. You can use one or 2 of these colours just at one entire part of the control map. So instead of having a mix of colours, having a part all red/blue/green. In game you can change the colours to whatever colour you want.

2. what you also could do is adding the color on the multiplier, but I don't really recommend it, especially if you're planning on publish it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
It is possible in 2 ways. One recommended way and one not-so recommended way.

1. the Control map of the hair. You see these blue, red, green parts. You can use one or 2 of these colours just at one entire part of the control map. So instead of having a mix of colours, having a part all red/blue/green. In game you can change the colours to whatever colour you want.

2. what you also could do is adding the color on the multiplier, but I don't really recommend it, especially if you're planning on publish it.

The first one is what I want but all tutorials I have found on google are for retexturing hair. Is there any tutorials that can help me since I am so new, one that has simple set-by-step details/instructions.
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 7th Jun 2016 at 1:43 PM
I usually test my control maps in Blender since the assignment is quicker and easier for me. But it's possible to check it out in Milkshape too. The reason why I add a 'finished' control map to TSRW when it's actually finished, is because of all the nonsense errors about 'running out of memory' errors. So I would recommend checking it in any 3D program to see if it works with your hair!

So i'll be using Blender.

Import your mesh. WSO, OBJ, whatever file, doesn't matter.

So this is usually my setting, since I think it's easier to work with instead of needing to switch all the time. So all you need to do is dragging that small icon thingy to have a second screen. Now you might have two screens of the hair, but at the bottom

This is the icon you want to be looking for, which is at the bottom of the second screen you just created. THis is a UVmap screen but does also displays which hair piece needs the control map.

Sooo this is what you might be seeing. Now lets go into edit mode (bottom where you see 'object mode' expand it and select edit mode.)

Now you want to select the parts you want to be a different colour than the rest of the hair for your control map. Now my hair came with the control map when I imported it but yours might be either empty or maybe have a regular hair texture to it. All doesn't matter. As long as you have the hair's control map exported by TSRW or another program, you're fine.

You see this weird looking orange highlighted part. That's the uvmap for the pieces we selected. TIP! to easier select things, you want to use 'L' on your keyboard.

The 'L' button works much better when you're using 'faces' which is the button that I marked with red.
This is what it looks like if you click the faces selection button tool:

Dotsss everywheeeere! It's easier to select the faces now with either just selecting or just using the 'L' button ^-^

Now we want to export our UV map to make things easier. click on 'UV'and then 'export UV layout'. Now save it wherever you like!

Import the control map from the hair you're retexturing and import the uv layout we just exported. Make sure it's the same size as the control map texture. The usual texture size is 1024x1024.

Use the retangular tool and make sure you're using the control map's layer. Select it to where the UV map is located.

Now Right+click on the part you selected and use 'transform selection'

Now what I usually do, is stretching the entire selecting up. For the sake of the tutorial, I didn't edit the other blue parts, but I recommend doing the same method but then with the green/black parts so you can easily erase the blue parts from the control map. (you can do the same thing with red to edit other parts of the hair like I did with the blue one so you have 2 different colours you can edit in game)

Delete the UV map layout when you're done.

Now you want to 'save as' and save it as a DDS. To get the DDS for Photoshop, here is the link: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia...adobe-photoshop
ALWAYS save Control maps as 'DXT1 - RGB - No alpha' as described in the picture. Never another DXT1 or other DXTs

When done exporting, let's get back to Blender.

So this is basically the way you import your textures in Blender, but right now we want to import it just to see if things worked out!

So you want to click that small 'X' sign to make your texture map empty. Then click 'open' to import your new edited control map.

Now let's check! (if you haven't set it to 'texture' mode)

Right now it's still set as solid (skip this part if yours is already set as texture). You want to expand that and click 'Texture'

Annnd that's the texture icon you're looking for. I usually delete the lamp as well so it makes it easier to see the mesh and the texture.

This is a lamp:

and by deleting it, just select it with right+click and either use the delete button or the 'x' button on your keyboard.

Back to the hair! Now it's probably easier to see.

So now you applied the control map, and there you go! An edited, control map! now mine isn't perfect because I didn't really put much effort in it because of the tutorial, but this is basically how you do it! ^-^ Let me know if you have any questions!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Jun 2016 at 7:55 PM
I usually test my control maps in Blender since the assignment is quicker and easier for me. But it's possible to check it out in Milkshape too. The reason why I add a 'finished' control map to TSRW when it's actually finished, is because of all the nonsense errors about 'running out of memory' errors. So I would recommend checking it in any 3D program to see if it works with your hair!

So i'll be using Blender.

Import your mesh. WSO, OBJ, whatever file, doesn't matter.

So this is usually my setting, since I think it's easier to work with instead of needing to switch all the time. So all you need to do is dragging that small icon thingy to have a second screen. Now you might have two screens of the hair, but at the bottom

This is the icon you want to be looking for, which is at the bottom of the second screen you just created. THis is a UVmap screen but does also displays which hair piece needs the control map.

Sooo this is what you might be seeing. Now lets go into edit mode (bottom where you see 'object mode' expand it and select edit mode.)

Now you want to select the parts you want to be a different colour than the rest of the hair for your control map. Now my hair came with the control map when I imported it but yours might be either empty or maybe have a regular hair texture to it. All doesn't matter. As long as you have the hair's control map exported by TSRW or another program, you're fine.

You see this weird looking orange highlighted part. That's the uvmap for the pieces we selected. TIP! to easier select things, you want to use 'L' on your keyboard.

The 'L' button works much better when you're using 'faces' which is the button that I marked with red.
This is what it looks like if you click the faces selection button tool:

Dotsss everywheeeere! It's easier to select the faces now with either just selecting or just using the 'L' button ^-^

Now we want to export our UV map to make things easier. click on 'UV'and then 'export UV layout'. Now save it wherever you like!

Import the control map from the hair you're retexturing and import the uv layout we just exported. Make sure it's the same size as the control map texture. The usual texture size is 1024x1024.

Use the retangular tool and make sure you're using the control map's layer. Select it to where the UV map is located.

Now Right+click on the part you selected and use 'transform selection'

Now what I usually do, is stretching the entire selecting up. For the sake of the tutorial, I didn't edit the other blue parts, but I recommend doing the same method but then with the green/black parts so you can easily erase the blue parts from the control map. (you can do the same thing with red to edit other parts of the hair like I did with the blue one so you have 2 different colours you can edit in game)

Delete the UV map layout when you're done.

Now you want to 'save as' and save it as a DDS. To get the DDS for Photoshop, here is the link: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia...adobe-photoshop
ALWAYS save Control maps as 'DXT1 - RGB - No alpha' as described in the picture. Never another DXT1 or other DXTs

When done exporting, let's get back to Blender.

So this is basically the way you import your textures in Blender, but right now we want to import it just to see if things worked out!

So you want to click that small 'X' sign to make your texture map empty. Then click 'open' to import your new edited control map.

Now let's check! (if you haven't set it to 'texture' mode)

Right now it's still set as solid (skip this part if yours is already set as texture). You want to expand that and click 'Texture'

Annnd that's the texture icon you're looking for. I usually delete the lamp as well so it makes it easier to see the mesh and the texture.

This is a lamp:

and by deleting it, just select it with right+click and either use the delete button or the 'x' button on your keyboard.

Back to the hair! Now it's probably easier to see.

So now you applied the control map, and there you go! An edited, control map! now mine isn't perfect because I didn't really put much effort in it because of the tutorial, but this is basically how you do it! ^-^ Let me know if you have any questions!

Ok so I need Blender, I have been using S3PE & S3OC then testing in Workshop, Ok I might see the problem then me not having the right program, Thank you.

Though if there is a way for the programs I have that would be great but I am off to find Blender it look likes.

Again thank you for helping a dummy like me.
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 2:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stormnicki
Ok so I need Blender, I have been using S3PE & S3OC then testing in Workshop, Ok I might see the problem then me not having the right program, Thank you.

Though if there is a way for the programs I have that would be great but I am off to find Blender it look likes.

Again thank you for helping a dummy like me.

Thanks okay! Milkshape will be a challenge since it doesn't have this 'L' button option, but programs like Maya, 3Ds max and all these other programs would work just as fine with this. Though i use Blender for personal reasons. ^-^
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 12:10 AM
Thanks okay! Milkshape will be a challenge since it doesn't have this 'L' button option, but programs like Maya, 3Ds max and all these other programs would work just as fine with this. Though i use Blender for personal reasons. ^-^

I got both Blender & Milkshake and will try my best to follow your tutorial. Many thanks for the help.
Virtual gardener
#8 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 1:14 PM
I got both Blender & Milkshake and will try my best to follow your tutorial. Many thanks for the help.

Milkshape is probably the best program when it comes to fixing in-game hair issues, like your hair having transparency issues (which it isn't likely to be if you're just recolouring, better, just don't modify your mesh in ay 3D program when you really don't have to.) If it's just for recolouring, you can use the mesh as a reference, like I did in the tutorial. So that saves a lot of work. ^-^
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 3:16 AM
I am having problems with exporting the meshes to recolor. Is there anything I must have because I keep getting a error message even though I have the plugins for it.
Virtual gardener
#10 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 2:56 PM
I am having problems with exporting the meshes to recolor. Is there anything I must have because I keep getting a error message even though I have the plugins for it.

What kind of error does it gives you? For recolouring you only need the texture though (if you didn't make the mesh yourself) Like in the tutorial, the mesh is just a reference to what you can colour 'blue'. But what kind of error is it giving you? And is Blender giving you the error? Milkshape? tsrw?