Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 9:53 PM
Default Create-a-Pattern Tool Help?
I just downloaded the Create-a-Pattern tool from EA and it's cool but... basic and eventually everyone will have the same patterns. So... my question is.... How can we add our own little pictures or main backgrounds or layers. Say I want a little picture of my eyeball to be part of the pattern... how can I add that to the program?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 10:27 PM
I hope this answer is helpful because my track record isn't so great lately, but you know the boxes that are in between the stickers and the camera controls - the top row has a hand and the eraser tool and under that is a grid and a plus sign. On page 3 of the manual it's #7 - add a sticker. Click on the plus sign box and that gives you access to images that are stored on your computer. The image has to be 256 X 256 - if you don't resize it, it'll be resized for you.
Scholar
#3 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 10:31 PM
There is a button to the right of the grid button. Click on that it will say add sticker. This will allow you to add new textures, and graphics to CAP. You can see it here in this screenshot- it is the button my cursor is hovering over . http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/...o2010-06-24.jpg

You will want to go into your graphics editor (e.g. Photoshop, GIMP) and adjust your contrast/brightness settings just as if you were creating a pattern using the tutorials for Delphys Pattern Packager here at MTS, and use your Seamless filer to make sure the image will tile properly.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 10:41 PM
I just downloaded it today at lunch and intend to install it tonight. :0) If it's WAY easier than using Illustrator for 4 channel separation patterns, I'm using it! lol We'll see tonight. I have some projects that I've been working on in my non-existant spare time so if this is a good shortcut, you'll have some kewl origami patterns uploaded much quicker than originally planned.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 11:22 PM
Thank you all. I am so excited now. This is what I have been wanting to be able to do. Woo-Hoo!! Now I need to find that one mod that made it so my characters have no social interaction and I will be good to go.
Eminence Grise
#6 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 6:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by porkypine
I just downloaded it today at lunch and intend to install it tonight. :0) If it's WAY easier than using Illustrator for 4 channel separation patterns, I'm using it! lol

It does nothing at all for separation. You can use it instead of ARGB channels to reassemble your separated pattern, but it won't separate a pattern for you.

Basically it treats pattern images, including ones you import, as decals which can be added to the four colorable layers, and repositioned and resized. It has no drawing tools or filters or anything else you'd need to prepare source images.

The advantages of this are the tiling preview and room preview. Even if you use it for the final stages, you'll still be doing most of your pattern design in an image editor.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 11:05 AM
If you click the "?"-icon in the upper right corner, a PDF file will open. There is a loads of information, the short cuts, how to use it, about the different functions and so on

I had really fun with this. I imported an Image I've made and holy moly it turned out really good!

Tumblr: Springbunnysims
Forum Resident
#8 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 8:28 AM
I'm confused about CAS (with the room to display your patterns) and in-game patterns (to create clothing once logged into the create a sim screen)? So, I create a pattern in CAS and look to see how it looks on the couch, rug, walls, etc...looks good so I export it. But it never exports as a couch pattern or any other object pattern in the game. So why the room setting if it isn't going to be used there? Instead it goes into my in-game patterns and can be used on clothing. Is there a way to have the pattern available on the furniture using this CAS program without going to GIMP or another program?? Also, when I download from the EA store, I get a SIMS3.pack file. Once I install that in game, can I delete the .pack files?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Aug 2010 at 3:40 PM
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your problem, but you can use a pattern on almost everything in the game (including furniture, curtains, vehicles, etc), not just clothing.
Test Subject
#10 Old 23rd Nov 2010 at 8:12 AM
Where is the manual everyone is talking about? I didn't get a manual when I downloaded and installed the create-a-pattern
Banned
#11 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 10:34 AM
i have download it early but i like to know can i take pictures in the sims 3 create a pattern tool just like in the sims 3 base game
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#12 Old 3rd Jan 2011 at 6:49 PM
Click on the question mark icon - ? - in the upper right corner. :0)
Test Subject
#13 Old 4th Mar 2011 at 12:30 AM Last edited by geekgirl101 : 4th Mar 2011 at 1:20 AM.
I'm having issues with patterns. I'm trying to make one that looks like a large black and white harlequin so that when used on a full beadboard wall with ornate crown and baseboard molding and border frieze it looks like this:

If I do it with the harlequin image being 256x256 and central at 128x128 then this is what I get when I try to use it on a wall pattern:

I've even tried shrinking the size of the harlequin sticker so that it only stretches up 192x256 and aligned at the bottom, and this is what I got instead:

It's very frustrating.