Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 16th May 2011 at 7:11 PM
@Tangie

Nice build you got i dont think you will need upgrades anytime soon, but
if I was you get the monitor first, cause the gain in performance changing from Sata II
to 3 or 6 would not be much noticeable.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 16th May 2011 at 7:36 PM Last edited by AceRacer195195 : 16th May 2011 at 7:52 PM.
I just built this last week.

Intel core i5 2500K Stock
4Gb GSkill DDR3 1600 RAM
Asus P8P67 EVO Motherboard
HIS Radeon HD6870 1Gb
OCZ Vertex 3 240Gb SATAIII SSD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Dell Ultrashap 2408WFP 24" Monitor, running at 1920x1200 (I've had this for a few years now)

All settings maxed, object hiding disabled, about 100+ fps when playing with a Sim, 140+ in map view on Sunset Valley. Everything is really fast and so pretty! I'm definitely getting my Sims addiction revived with this machine, lol.

Edit: Forgot my EP's: Ambitions, Outdoor Living, High End Loft, Fast Lane. Planning to get Generations when it comes out.

Fred is fast.
I do take house requests.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 16th May 2011 at 7:49 PM
I Built my sole desktop 7 years ago, ( I have a total of four computers,btw) and have upgraded it a good bit over the years, simply to play Sims 3. But I'm at the end of upgrades, so next is Project Goliath.
Anyways, here's the specs of my desktop now:

AMD Athlon FX 3200+ 64 Bit
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3600 512 MB with dual Acer flat screens (X138H model) at 1366x768 with added Display Fusion program
HDD1: 160 GB Western Digital
HDD2: 80 GB Western Digital
Windows 7 Home Premium
Quad speakers and one sub-woofer
MSI MS-6702 Mobo
LG DVD Burn Optical Drive
Also use Game Booster program to further enhance smoothness of Sims 3

Sky Marshal Skittles to the rescue!

Causing havoc here at MTS since 2004
Instructor
#54 Old 16th May 2011 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
I agree about the desktop being more upgradable, I was playing on a laptop since I started playing the sims because of space limitations. But I just received a custom built desktop PC that I ordered a few weeks ago. I didn't feel experienced enough to build my own; plan is to upgrade parts as needed to gain experience so the next PC I will likely build myself from scratch. Already had to learn how to switch out the GPU - came with a bad card.

Specs:

CoolerMaster 690 II Adv case
Windows 7 Home Prem 64 bit
i7 2600k processor, 3.4 GHz stock speed
Gigabyte MoBo P67A-UD4-B3
8 GB DDR3 RAM 1600 (saving up for 16 GBs and the third thing I'll replace after a new monitor)
1 GB NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti
Corsair 750 watt PSU
1 TB Sata II 7200 RPM HD (the weakest link and the first thing I'll replace)

My laptop was a pretty nice one but I definitely see a performance increase with this.

You should probably be aware that Windows 7 Home Premium is artificially limited to 16GB of RAM, while Professional is artificially limited to 192GB.

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...imits_windows_7

So you could go up to 16GB, but will need a slightly different OS if you want to go beyond that.

As far as somewhat skimping on the hard drive when buying a new PC, that's what I usually recommend. Pricing for hard drives keep getting better all the time, and it's fairly easy to add more as needed.

The motherboard and CPU are probably the most difficult to replace or upgrade, and in that order. Well, not really difficult, but the most time consuming.
Theorist
#55 Old 18th May 2011 at 11:05 PM
Thanks, Theros and BenC0722, for the info. I was going to upgrade the monitor first, and I don't know how important windows ratings are, but everything on my system gets at least a 7.8 - except for the hard drive! I think it's rated 5.9 or something. So that's why I was thinking I should replace that first. But now I think I will go back to looking at monitors instead. Also appreciate the link for the memory info. This only has four slots so 16 GBs is as high as I can afford to go anyway! But I appreciate the heads up, thanks again.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Page 3 of 3