Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 3:25 AM
The only sim I have killed in 3 was accidentally.. I was testing out some cheats.. and my mouse went crazed.. It was dying and well it would jerk at the wrong time.. He died.. Felt bad as I had plans..but learned my lesson .. The sims in my game generally die of old age.. A few have died from stupidity.. Like fire.. I have had a few electrocution themselves when fixing electronics.. I do not consider that as being brutal.. Just life as a sim.. I do try to have the spouse or child plead with ole grim.. Sometimes it even works..

now in Sims 2 I did crash a Sat on a sim with the cheat.. I wanted to see it happen.. Though in sims 2 it was mostly the alien abductions LOL.. I had entire family composed of alien hybrids that also were werewolves. As well as a few family members that were vampires.. The game started to look like the Adams family meets area 51..
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 3:29 AM
I have never killed a sim that I liked or am playing, BUT on occation my darling sims get the want to see somebodies ghost.....

And going on a killing spree in a fresh hood I don't care about is just fun after a hard day.
Theorist
#28 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 3:58 AM
I only kill Sims if they have unlucky/loser trait, so they won't really die. I usually do that just to purposely 'summon' the Grim reaper after all.
Banned
#29 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 4:11 AM
I don't kill my sims. I just don't make such sims I would want to kill off later.

There're a lot of games with much more realistic and interesting killing process, so I play Sims while in peaceful mood only.
Instructor
#30 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 5:42 AM
While I play, I never enjoy watching having my sims die. Before Late Night, I just played with aging off. After Late Night, I pretty much only played vampires. I even installed the Vampire True Immortality mod by Shoni.

One theme I like to use in games is to not only have an active family, but to also have another family or two where all of them are best friends with the active family. So one day, the husband of one of the other families died of thirst, when I didn't want him to. He also just had a child with his wife, so I figured it wasn't his time. I didn't like the fact he died, so I used MC to summon the Ghost Opportunity so the husband (of the active family) could revive the husband of the other family.

After the dead sim came back as a ghost, I had him stay at the active family's house for about a sim week, to get his life back in order, so to speak. Then I moved him back into his old house, with his family. He's a ghost, but still goes to work and everything.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 6:14 AM
I dont usually purposely kill off my sims unless its for a story. The only time I did kill one off not for a story is when I had a gold digger sim and I still felt bad

-Though this be madness, yet there is method in it-
Field Researcher
#32 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 8:39 AM
I never had any sims die, from sims 1 to 3
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 8:40 AM
Like many other posters here, I killed sims when I was younger and played TS1. I would make a new family and name them after people I didn't like and would kill them. Looking bad on those days I feel really bad... I was a mean kid
Now I rarely kill a sim on purpose. I don't think I ever did in TS2, and I did it only once in TS3. I was playing a pseudo-legacy and the generation 4 heir just wouldn't die of old age. I don't like playing big families, and to me 6 sims is a lot to handle...! So, I killed off the heir and had her husband return to the netherworld. I drowned her because a) at the time it was the easiest option, and b) her husband was Ransom Clavell and I wanted them to match. I felt really bad about it afterwards, especially since she just seemed so sad when she died.. Then I lost her gravestone and felt even worse. So now in the family graveyard there's an awkward gap for the 4th generation.
I feel really bad about it, so I don't kill sims on purpose anymore. But if they happen to die on accident in my game I let them die. Like, if one of my sims burns in a fire, I won't load a save file and play them again unless I really, really like them. I save copies of all my favorite sims, so I figure that if they die, I always have one of their clones to take their place...
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 2:04 PM
I don't kill Sims for sport either. For me, they die of old age, or I kill them for the story. When I was playing the Halliwell family (from the TV show Charmed) I drowned Patty because she drowns in the show. My current family has an Evil sim and I am considering whether he should be killed off soon, considering how daring he is and how many enemies he has made....
Field Researcher
#35 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 11:20 PM
In the family I'm playing now i have a graveyard in the backyard and i need to fill it up, so i steal people and kill them. It's all for the story I'm creating.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Theorist
#36 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 12:25 AM
Well... my CAS sims die natural deaths or get killed by drowning or electrocution. I don't purposely kill them. However, if they have any unauthorized liaisons with those nasty, ugly NPC/Townies, those NPC/Townies die instantly by the this Sim Goddess' hand. I pick them up, put them in the cemetery and trigger age transition until they're dead. The end. I don't have time to torture anyone... too time consuming
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 12:34 AM
I think it's awful too! Glad to see I'm not alone.

A few quick quotes:

"When I was younger I would have agreed, but too much programming and the mindless murder of probably millions of NPCs in games like World of Warcraft make me see sims as nothing more than AI routines with a humanoid model.

I don't usually kill my own sims, but I kill townies that are too ugly to let them taint the gene pool."

"Pixel people =/= real people. There is a massive difference between the two and it scares me that some people don't get this. What must they think of those of us who play games like GTA and murder the prostitutes after sleeping with them to get their money back?!"

These two statements are exactly what scares me. 1) We're so used to killing people/things on computers we don't really care anymore... Scary, scary thought.

2) What do I think of those people? That they must be sick to find it fun. That's what I think of those people.

Pixel people LOOK like real people. Of course, they ARENT real people, but does it matter? Does that mean you'd kill a real human if you figured out they weren't a "real" human, but some kind of android, for instance? I don't see why it's fun, or okay, to kill things that are supposed to be human. The point being SUPPOSED TO BE human. If you think it's fun to watch a "fake human" fry itself to death... I mean, I love tv shows and movies and stuff and all those things happen there, but... I avoid FPS games like the plague. Not just because I find mindless killing disturbing and not particularly entertaining, pixel people or not, but also because I've seen a few people I know get much more aggressive and "understanding" towards violence after playing games like these. I'm not kidding. Maybe it doesn't affect most people (which in itself is disturbing), but it does really affect SOME people. Which means it's bad, and our 8-year old kids shouldn't be playing games where the purpose is to kill people. Even if it's not real people. It's the ethics behind it I find very wrong, and how easily stuff like this is transferred into our own heads.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." - Jack Nicholson
Test Subject
#38 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 12:42 AM
I only killed on sim on purpose,his name was Charles he was just annoying he needed something all the time and he was rude,sloppy, and disgusting and he made ALOT of enemies.......so it really didn't matter to alot of my other sims , but i still felt bad , so i never kill another sim on purpose
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 1:33 AM
I play until they gets old, then dump their sorry arse and moving on with their children. That way I dont have to see them die.

Sometimes I wish theres some diseases and natural disasters that causes death on random. That would make the game more interesting. And the hospital would be more functional than just another career rabbit holes.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 1:48 AM
I never really killed for fun. I've killed to see what death for sims is like in every game, but once I do I never really purposely do it again.
Alchemist
#41 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jennydb91
Pixel people LOOK like real people. Of course, they ARENT real people, but does it matter? Does that mean you'd kill a real human if you figured out they weren't a "real" human, but some kind of android, for instance? I don't see why it's fun, or okay, to kill things that are supposed to be human. The point being SUPPOSED TO BE human.

i facepalmed. really hard.

so would you drink antifreeze if it were poured into a water bottle? its SUPPOSED to be WATER. how dare you not acknowledge its supposed-to-be-ness! it LOOKS like water. that should be enough to treat it like water.

good grief.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 3:05 AM
Quote:
These two statements are exactly what scares me. 1) We're so used to killing people/things on computers we don't really care anymore... Scary, scary thought.

They aren't people though, and they aren't really things either. They are lines of code that effectively say "If not being ordered to do anything, do something completely stupid, repeat"

Killing a sim is about the same as backspacing something you typed.

Just like erasing some text, killing a sim isn't permanent and nothing is really lost. I can ctrl+z something I backspaced back into existence just as I can resurrect or prevent death indefinitely with any sim.

Quote:
Pixel people LOOK like real people. Of course, they ARENT real people, but does it matter? Does that mean you'd kill a real human if you figured out they weren't a "real" human, but some kind of android, for instance? I don't see why it's fun, or okay, to kill things that are supposed to be human. The point being SUPPOSED TO BE human. If you think it's fun to watch a "fake human" fry itself to death... I mean, I love tv shows and movies and stuff and all those things happen there, but... I avoid FPS games like the plague. Not just because I find mindless killing disturbing and not particularly entertaining, pixel people or not, but also because I've seen a few people I know get much more aggressive and "understanding" towards violence after playing games like these. I'm not kidding. Maybe it doesn't affect most people (which in itself is disturbing), but it does really affect SOME people. Which means it's bad, and our 8-year old kids shouldn't be playing games where the purpose is to kill people. Even if it's not real people. It's the ethics behind it I find very wrong, and how easily stuff like this is transferred into our own heads.

Here's a mannequin. Feel free to treat it like a real person because it looks like one.
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 3:48 AM
Default Best practices for Sim-related mental hygiene?
Pixel people LOOK like real people...

That is my issue with it as well. If I consider people who play with ordinary physical dolls, I would not expect them to confuse dolls with humans. But I would be concerned if they spent much time getting comfortable with the feeling of harming something that represents a human, and that they're pretending is human. I could come up with other examples...

...but I don't mean to re-target the thread to diagnose creepiness in other people. It's more a matter of avoiding it in ourselves. So what I'd really like to do is confirm to Jennydb91, MarieKashiki and others that no, you're not the only one. It's understandable to be squicked by the suffering of something that represents and intentionally resembles a human. For those of us who are squicked by it, I don't think we would be doing our own psyches, or the people we interact with, any favors by trying to desensitize ourselves to that feeling.

Quote: Originally posted by MarieKashiki
Maybe I'm just a pansy. But I don't care.

Shall I offer you some cover anyway? The truth is, I dote upon my Sims. I usually play them in small numbers, often for the purpose of capturing images for a comic. If that necessitates getting them in a bad state, I've found I have to I make it up to them before I leave them. I think I'd do this even if I were quitting without saving. I can no more put my Sims to bed miserable than put a horse away wet. So there. MarieKashiki need not worry -- I believe I've out-pansied her.

-- r.
----------------------------
Ronnie de Noube
ronniethesim.com
Forum Resident
#44 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 3:48 AM

A few quick quotes:

"When I was younger I would have agreed, but too much programming and the mindless murder of probably millions of NPCs in games like World of Warcraft make me see sims as nothing more than AI routines with a humanoid model.

I don't usually kill my own sims, but I kill townies that are too ugly to let them taint the gene pool."

"Pixel people =/= real people. There is a massive difference between the two and it scares me that some people don't get this. What must they think of those of us who play games like GTA and murder the prostitutes after sleeping with them to get their money back?!"

2) What do I think of those people? That they must be sick to find it fun. That's what I think of those people.

Just acouple of things One has already been pointed out.. A sim is a line of code.. Nothing more or less..

And the second thing is that killing a sim or double tapping a Nazi in call of Duty is a far cry from putting a round in to some one.. Because at that moment a persons pull that trigger in Real life.. That person life is now changed and the other has ended. There is no going back from that either..

One reason among many why we honor our heroes over in the various wars we are currently as a nation engaged in today. Is because we recognize that they have willing changed their lives for our nation in way I can only hope you never learn.
Forum Resident
#45 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 3:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
That is my issue with it as well. If I consider people who play with ordinary physical dolls, I would not expect them to confuse dolls with humans. But I would be concerned if they spent much time getting comfortable with the feeling of harming something that represents a human, and that they're pretending is human. I could come up with other examples...

...but I don't mean to re-target the thread to diagnose creepiness in other people. It's more a matter of avoiding it in ourselves. So what I'd really like to do is confirm to Jennydb91, MarieKashiki and others that no, you're not the only one. It's understandable to be squicked by the suffering of something that represents and intentionally resembles a human. For those of us who are squicked by it, I don't think we would be doing our own psyches, or the people we interact with, any favors by trying to desensitize ourselves to that feeling.

Shall I offer you some cover anyway? The truth is, I dote upon my Sims. I usually play them in small numbers, often for the purpose of capturing images for a comic. If that necessitates getting them in a bad state, I've found I have to I make it up to them before I leave them. I think I'd do this even if I were quitting without saving. I can no more put my Sims to bed miserable than put a horse away wet. So there. MarieKashiki need not worry -- I believe I've out-pansied her.

-- r.
----------------------------
Ronnie de Noube
ronniethesim.com

I try to end my days on a hopeful note.. Sometimes it even works.. Sometimes even Sims can have a bad day.. Even when one is not purposefully making their little coded lives miserable..
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 4:21 AM
I get attached to some sims and even don't like to see get old...so I give them the elixir of life to keep them going. If a sim dies before it's time I even cheat to resurrect him. Yeah it's a game but it does get to your emotions. Now I'm in a paradox because the world of Jane Austen characters from Pride & Predjudice (5 girls in one family) is becoming over populated and the parents haven't even past on yet. I put one in the moving bin and deleted her....the other sims still have talk balloons about her and that made me quilty so now I don't do even do that anymore.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 7:39 AM
I dont kill sims I am a merciful sim God, thus far even that annoying pixelated twonk Chris Steel has been left to live out his miserable little life sure I am tempted to smite his little pixels into pleasantview rest yard but then who would my sims bar brawl with when they get the desire. However there is no reincarnation or coming back with my games once you are gone you're gone, get used to it little pixel people.

On a more sane note the one thing I find really disturbing is the number of people who kill sims just for being ugly, it's a horrible reflection of the superficial world we live in and I often wonder, as beauty is such a subjective thing, how many of them would survive in other simmers games of the same mind.

I want to punch Chris Steel in the face!
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 8:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsamu
I dont kill sims I am a merciful sim God, thus far even that annoying pixelated twonk Chris Steel has been left to live out his miserable little life sure I am tempted to smite his little pixels into pleasantview rest yard but then who would my sims bar brawl with when they get the desire. However there is no reincarnation or coming back with my games once you are gone you're gone, get used to it little pixel people.

On a more sane note the one thing I find really disturbing is the number of people who kill sims just for being ugly, it's a horrible reflection of the superficial world we live in and I often wonder, as beauty is such a subjective thing, how many of them would survive in other simmers games of the same mind.

There is superficial ugly, and then there are the townies that look like someone repeatedly smashed their faces with a shovel until the skull caved in.

I don't want my entire town being shovel-faced.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 10:27 AM
I've killed a pair of sims... but they were zombies, so it doesn't count.

We are the Felegands. We will kick your ass.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 2nd Jun 2011 at 12:17 PM
I can definately see why people would find it disturbing, but I often just find it kind of funny. I don't know if you've read the Cracked article about torturing sims with the fun zone and the only fridge being at the end of a long pool and the sim being hydrophobic. It's a very silly article which pretty much points out that to a lot of people who play (And more who just know of the game) the entire point does seem to be torture.

It really all depends on the sim I'm playing, if they are murder and torture inclined than I'll go along with it, but that's not very often (Though it's one of the things that come up most so it seems like it's all I talk about with the sims :S) and in those instances it's story and character to me, and yes I can enjoy it, but that's not usually why I set out to do it. In the same way that when I design character's for stories, comics or just for fun, most are normal (for their world) but occasionally a crazy torturing loon will get through, and I'm going to put as much effort into them as anyone else, even if it does seem more morbid.

Mostly I play happy games where I try desperately to make sure all my sims have the perfect homes they want with occasional emotional drama to make it more interesting.

not indorsed by Hypno toad... all hail Hypno toad @_@
Page 2 of 3