Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 10:26 PM
Default How Do You Extract Custom Meshes?
I'm a fairly new mesher, but I am not so new to SimPE, and I figure this would be a SimPE thing (that is only relevant to meshing). How would I extract the SHPE, GMDC, CRES, and GMND from a custom mesh?

A brief explanation, pictures, or telling me it's impossible would all be helpful- thank you!

Edit: I extracted it normally, and I assume it was originally cloned from the tf-sundress because that's the name on all four files. Is this an error on my part, the mesh's part, etc., or is this normal/how it's supposed to be?

The queen of mean and baking.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 11:19 PM
It is very easy. Just open the custom mesh in SimPE and you will see all the four parts. ya most custom meshes are cloned from other maxis stuff and you can do the same. Some creators don't bother fixing the name properly so they leave out the old name added to their own. That is why you see sundress in the name.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by InfinitesAreReal
I'm a fairly new mesher, but I am not so new to SimPE, and I figure this would be a SimPE thing (that is only relevant to meshing). How would I extract the SHPE, GMDC, CRES, and GMND from a custom mesh?

A brief explanation, pictures, or telling me it's impossible would all be helpful- thank you!

Edit: I extracted it normally, and I assume it was originally cloned from the tf-sundress because that's the name on all four files. Is this an error on my part, the mesh's part, etc., or is this normal/how it's supposed to be?

That's how it's supposed to be, but if you do it this way, you'll basically end up with a clone of the original sundress... and not the custom one. You need the GMDC from the custom mesh. Open the custom mesh package in SimPE, right click on the GMDC in the ResouceList window, and choose "Extract...". You can then alter the extracted mesh in MilkShape and re-import it into your mesh package later.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 4:42 PM
So if I'm following you I just do the same thing as I would with a maxis mesh (although anything from a maxis EP won't import, for some reason)? I would open it through PJSE, extract the GMDC, then edit it in milkshape and replace it like a normal EAxis mesh (linking it and changing the filenames, etc. in the process).
I did those things but when I import it to MS it ends up as the tfbodysundress- is it the mesh itself? Other custom meshes have worked fine for me. (I could find another similar one to edit, but still)

Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 7:45 PM
No, you don't do the same thing as you'd do with a Maxis mesh. If you use PJSE, you will end up with the tfbodysundress from the game instead of the custom mesh. You must just open the mesh package, right click on the GMDC, and click "Extract...".

On a side note (because it has nothing to do with what you're trying to do here), if you can't extract from EPs using PJSE, it just means that SimPE doesn't know where to look for them. You'll need to set that up. Go up to the Extra pull-down menu and click Preferences. When that opens up, you'll see where SimPE is looking for the various expansion packs and stuff packs. If it's not looking in the right place (or if the fields are blank), go ahead and fix them. Then PJSE should be able to find what you need.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 11:40 PM
Oh, I need the find the file that contains just the mesh- I feel so dumb right now. Thank you so much, fakepeeps, for being so helpful!

Yes, unfortunately, I learned that the hard way. I got frustrated because it wasn't working after I defined the filepaths, then I rebooted. Everything is working fine now (and I'm actually nearly done with the mesh, but I might need to do some edits because UV maps are literally the bane of my existence right now).