Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 9:55 PM
Default Site slowness
Hi All,

You may have noticed the site has been very slow the past few days, with a lot of reports of failed connections.

Unfortunately, I believe the current server the MTS2 site is running on has hit it's limits in terms of what it can do, so we either need to upgrade or split into a apache/mysql layout.

I've optimised as much as I can and turned of some unccesary features, but there is little else I can do at the moment. Big apologies to everybody who is having problems and we hope to have normal service resumed as soon as possible.

Regards
Delphy
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 1:55 AM
Maybe you should start a fund drive. This web site is very important to my simming and I would be willing to donate some money to be put towards an upgrade.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 2:49 AM
Ok What I noticed, it takes the site to load 30 minutes or longer properly, sometimes it loads like your looking at it through windows 95, the words are to big, buttons are x out and frames are missing, but once the site is loaded properly, you can switch from post to post ok, I don't have dial up, but have the lowest end of high speed cable enternet with my cable company, my modem is a motorola a well known company that makes walkie talkies, cellphones and other well known electronic components, I'd hate to be on dial up and trying to get in here, I hope you can get the site going smoothly again, very soon, please post a P.O. box as to where donations can be sent, not everyone trust's given personal information over the internet, I'd glady send you $50 bucks, money mart has a wire order with western union here in Canada, alternative ways of donating is in need!, not everyone trust's paypal!.

thank you Regards Craig :D

I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die,So let me live my life the way I want to!.-J.Hendrix
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 3:15 AM
I donated I hope you raise enough to fix it!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 3:33 AM
Default Site Slowness
What ever you do I'll back you 100% percent if I have to donate I will,because you are do a very,I mean very good job your site to me is one of the best sites that i've come to for my Sims 2 Stuff.
Test Subject
#6 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 4:51 AM
I have a fast cable modem and it's difficult to get on. A bigger and better server is needed but without regular money coming in that's not something I would even consider. I want this site to be around for a long time but raffles for t-shirts or ponytails are not going to do it and I don't think simoleans by your name will either. I don't think you should count on donations for the survival of this site. This needs to be a pay site and the sooner we admit that the better. For those who truly can't afford it then make access unlimited on certain days of the week.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 5:24 AM
I have high speed cable service but have tried all evening to get on and was just finally able. I don't blame anyone on this site, I'm just sorry to hear about the troubles. I donated a couple of days ago and I don't know if you have even gotten it yet, besides, it wasn't much as I don't have a lot. I hope you dont have to turn it into a pay site, but if you do, could you have a P.O. Box or an address to send money to, I hate to give out my info on a regular basis. Love this site, hope a solution is quickly found. :-)
Test Subject
#8 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 8:09 AM
I have run this script for a long time and I have had the same problem many times. This is just a suggestion and you may not be interested in doing it, but it will help you trmendously for the time you are working this out. shut off the search feature temporarily til you have it all repaired, it may be a little frustrating for some of us, but it's worth it as a temp thing to get things back to normal and going smooth.

I am not trying to tell you how to run your board, but this will speed it up a LOT and can be used as a temp fix.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 10:52 AM
I thought the regular donators' scheme was already in aid of a better server?
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 11:13 AM
An idea for you would be to split sections off here onto a spin off forum . For instance you could open up a separate adult forum for all the adult downloads and discussions etc . That would not only have the advantage of easing the server a little , it would also remove any reason why your link should be banned from the Official site and TSR and would also hopefully help relations between said sites You could also open up a separate website for your normal , non-beta downloads that could be made to look cool rather than being just an extension of the forum . That would also ease the burden on the server for here a little . Then you could save this main server for all the main modding discussions and beta downloads .
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#11 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 12:05 PM
Bruce, that was one of my suggestions a while ago when there was a similar problem. It wasn't seen as the way to go at the time, but it's worth reconsidering IMHO.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 2:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Bruce, that was one of my suggestions a while ago when there was a similar problem. It wasn't seen as the way to go at the time, but it's worth reconsidering IMHO.

I certainly think it's worth reconsidering Inge . The site and separate forum could be designed in a way so that they look connected to here and come under the MTS2 ' umbrella ' , but behind the scenes they would actually be separate sites on their own servers . Doing this would be far more cost-effective than trying to have every single bit of the site on the same server . As this place gets more and more popular , if you carry on on the same single server site path here you're going to either end up having to

a - Turn to being a paysite , infuriating all those who have anti-paysite lynch mob mentality , or

b - Close . And no one wants that to happen at all because this site has made the game far , far more fun than it would have ever been in it's boring vanilla state .

With the warmth of people and community spirit I am quite sure that you would get any help needed on web site design or whatever if need be , and a decent little forum for the adult stuff could be got hold of for a very minimal cost ( Green Sims on the Invision board I run costs me peanuts )
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 10:40 PM
:clap: I don't know what you've done , but whatever it is seems to have got the site working pretty fast anyway , and I'm on dial-up I just hope it stays this way for ya :thumb:
Field Researcher
#14 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 11:18 PM
If this site ever becomes a pay site, I will still pay. I would know that it is not because the site is daylight robbery, but for a good reason, unlike <insert lousy pay site here>.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 11:39 PM
Bruce,

We've actually been talking about ideas just like the ones you are suggesting for a while now behind the scenes, so it's something that'll probably happen

Oh and for everybody else - we have no intention of making it a pay site
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 12:15 AM
Whatever options you choose to solve the server situation for the long term , I hope it works out for you that's the main thing
Forum Resident
#17 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:26 AM
I would be more than happy to donate to help keep the site going, I really love MTS2 it's the best Sim site I've ever been to & I also love the great peeps who run the show, but I have a problem in sending cash, firstly we don't have paypal in Australia & the other is sending cash thru the mail, if you do get a private Post Office box I would gladly risk sending cash to there as I have done that with other sites without any problems.
I just hope that everything turns out okay.
Long live MTS2.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 3:29 AM
out of curiosity, any word on that 4gig ram upgrade? or has it already been installed?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 3:34 AM
Not yet... waiting on the 1gb ram sticks.