Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 8:08 PM
My Sim has full inventing skill points and is at level 7 in her career.. one of her wishes is to invent something new... but I thought she had already invented everything she could... she's made two simbots.. is there anything else to invent?
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#27 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mickeyblue33
Can you register as self employed w/o Ambitions?

Yes, I believe you can if you have the patch that came out last week

Quote: Originally posted by nickiidol
My Sim has full inventing skill points and is at level 7 in her career.. one of her wishes is to invent something new... but I thought she had already invented everything she could... she's made two simbots.. is there anything else to invent?

You don't get the inventions in a fixed order. So you can still discover a new toy after you've graduated to widgets, for instance. Or is it the other way around? Anyway, the order in which you discover things is semi-random, so you could have skipped some lower-level inventions on your way up.

It's really too bad about the consignment store not counting for professional development :O Though that totally explains why my inventor never makes any progress towards promotion, heh. Still, doesn't that kind of take away the whole point of the consignment store? As a way to make your profits on crafted goods steadily increase? I wonder if that's fixable by mod :/

The thing I find a bit frustrating about being a self-employed inventor is that I have to choose between producing profitable stuff I can sell for career advancement, and discovering interesting new inventions to play with... which, in general, I don't want to sell And if I have to choose between those two and leveling my consignment profits, it's triply frustrating!
Scholar
#28 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 10:59 PM Last edited by ToRnado : 7th Jun 2010 at 1:10 AM.
the harvester is great for gardening but it drops your fun to 0 and makes you dizzy nearly every time you use it!
Forum Resident
#29 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 12:11 AM
@Srikandi- Thank you so much! My computers busted, so when I get a new one I will hopefully be able to be a self-employed author.
Scholar
#30 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 1:50 AM
my harvesters must be broken every time my sim uses it drops fun to 0 and makes her dizzy than she goes and vomits every time you use it!
Test Subject
#31 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 2:20 AM
My friend sprang for the prima guide, and it says in there you can fix the stuff you get from the junk yard -- so the fact that you can't, it's actually a game glitch...
Forum Resident
#32 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Thirdo
My friend sprang for the prima guide, and it says in there you can fix the stuff you get from the junk yard -- so the fact that you can't, it's actually a game glitch...

Not entirely, the Prima guide has been known to have errors in it. Things change in the game after the guide is written. It still could be a glitch, but just because the guide says we can do something when we can't in game doesn't right away mean it is a glitch.
Test Subject
#33 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 2:33 AM
crap really? sorry -- I personally have never gotten the guide and just assumed that...well, really that was my fist mistake wasn't it? assuming, lol.

if it's not just a glitch, dose anyone think a mod could me made so we CAN fix the items?
Eminence Grise
#34 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 2:35 AM
Some of them are semi-usable, actually. I've found chairs you can sit in, for instance.
Scholar
#35 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 3:24 AM
pretty sure you can only fix the junkyard items if you have high enough mechanical skill or are an inventor. and it also costs $ i've done it you have to 1st put it in your inventory than take it home, take it out and the option to fix it appears along with a cost.
Eminence Grise
#36 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ToRnado
pretty sure you can only fix the junkyard items if you have high enough mechanical skill or are an inventor. and it also costs $ i've done it you have to 1st put it in your inventory than take it home, take it out and the option to fix it appears along with a cost.

That's not "repair", that's "replace". Same option you get if something you own burns, and not worth it unless it's significantly cheaper than the original item, which I don't think it is, is it?
Scholar
#37 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 3:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
and not worth it unless it's significantly cheaper than the original item, which I don't think it is, is it?

yes it is
Instructor
#38 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 3:40 AM
That's not fixing it. That's replacing it. And it's the same cost as buying it out of the catalog.
Instructor
#39 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 11:10 AM
I would like to see the profession made a little more complex than , make these, sell them *bang* you just gained some points in your profession. Maybe have the handiness skill as part of the formula for advancement, so tinkering and repairing would help in your inventor advancement. Add something like research that can be done in the library or online.
It would be cool if you could dismantle items to be used as "scrap" for making things, rather than blowing things up for scrap.

They call me The Seeker.
I've been searching low and high.
Scholar
#40 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 11:20 AM
i like blowing stuff up though especially sims cars that park at the junk yard :D
Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 11:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimJymm
I would like to see the profession made a little more complex than , make these, sell them *bang* you just gained some points in your profession.

I think that applies to all the new professions.
Scholar
#42 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 12:46 AM
seriously the best way to get scrap is the blow up the cars that park at the junkyard. i got 2000 scrap from 1 of them!!!
Eminence Grise
#43 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimJymm
I would like to see the profession made a little more complex than , make these, sell them *bang* you just gained some points in your profession.

Inventing isn't a profession... it's a skill, just like painting. That's why it's so simple.

Question: how do you use the drill to make a tunnel? I've tried drilling holes on two different lots, but don't know how to link them.
Forum Resident
#44 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 2:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Question: how do you use the drill to make a tunnel? I've tried drilling holes on two different lots, but don't know how to link them.

I was going to ask the same thing. All I've done with the drill so far was get some metal and gems, a microwave and cheap table lamp, and piss off a sleeping baby...

But yeah, I'd too love to know how to make a tunnel, my guy wants to go on an underground adventure.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 3:03 AM
Make one tunnel at home, and another tunnel somewhere else (community lot, your stalkee's house, etc), name both Tunnels and then you'll be able to select the tunnel and their will be an option for... explore or something of that nature, and you'll see the name's of the other tunnel holes or "Anywhere."
Eminence Grise
#46 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 3:07 AM
Ahhh you have to NAME them. Is that a regular interaction? Haven't seen it come up! Does the hole have to be a certain depth?
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 3:35 AM
The naming it has the orange circles like naming a Gnome. As far a depth, as long as its a traversing hole (non glowing) you'll be able to use it I believe.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 3:36 AM
what I've found are a couple different kinds of tunnels. The ones you can name, they just end at a certain point and there's no option to explore them, no "glowing" light. The glowing ones are like the catacombs, you go in and some scenarios come up in messages and you find stuff and then pop back out (often in "singed" mode) But I've only connected 2 of the other type on the same small lot, I don't know if you can connect them off lot, I haven't been able to do that yet.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 3:38 AM
To place off home lot, go to the community lot and once it loads "place" the drill from your sim's inventory, and put it somewhere your able to. After that you'll be able to Drill like normal, and then "put in inventory" after.
Eminence Grise
#50 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 4:03 AM
Ok, got it this time Yeah, you have to drill as far as you can, and it has to be a regular hole (that doesn't connect to the tunnel system).
Page 2 of 5