Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 8:21 AM
Messed up all my previous file, Help!
Hey guys I really messed up here and would greatly appreciate some positive guidance on what I should do.

I am currently running Windows 8 for starters.

Well while I was trying to get my mods to work and you know, kind of exploring (which I won't be doing anymore) I accidentally changed a file (a .package file) by clicking open with...word doc.

Problem is, now all my .packagefiles are word docs, and I don't know how to revert the files back to their previous condition. Whenever I try to load the game, it crashes at the loading screen. (I don't have the screenplay in the beginning because I added a mod to get rid of it)
Please Help!
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 9:23 AM
When I had something similar I eventually had to edit my Windows registry to get rid of the bad file association. It's not a very noob-friendly thing to do and made me curse Microsoft several times while doing so. But you may be more savvy than me:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...ed-program.html
http://superuser.com/questions/4961...es-in-windows-7
I can't remember what I did exactly, just that one method worked, the other didn't.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 9:39 AM
I'm no modder or technowiz or anything, but my .package files open with s3pe. So, would it help to download s3pe, then right-click a package file, choose "Open with..." and make it default to S3PE (if installing S3PE doesn't change that itself)?
Forum Resident
#4 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 10:18 AM
i am likely more a noob than everyone before but cant you choose a program out of a list how to open packages with by default. i am not running my computer on english so ... thats differently called maybe.
=> its when right clicking on a file (once) and then in the pie: choose standart program to open and then choose SimPE / S3OC e.p. (like Syb said above) - then the pics of the files change back to sth more familiar

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#5 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 10:35 AM
The problem is what do you do if you do not have S3PE? Either get S3PE / S3OC just for this or edit the registry. In my case I had accidentally changed the file association for GraphicsRules.sgr and learned to hate the Windows feature that if you choose "Open With..." the option to always open all files with the application you chose is checked in the check box by default.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 10:47 AM
never thought about one couldnt have the programs from simlogical mentioned. yes but get them only for this? they are so incredibly useful to check files for incorrect flags / age.... i am no savvy user but i wouldnt install a package without being able to take a look into it. yes digging around in the windows registry may be a good solution but likely not for inexperienced users. i thought if those programs are available its easiest to do.

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>