Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2010 at 2:04 PM Last edited by whiterider : 11th Feb 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Default Creating Default Replacements with CTU
Please note that the latest version of CTU offers you the option of making a regular clone or a default replacement when you use Save As. Therefore, this tutorial is no longer needed, and is provided to satisfy the curiosity of insane tinkerers only!
Tutorial:Creating Default Replacements with CTUwiki

Comments and stuff welcome.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
14 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 3:10 PM
That helmet thing looks like a servo simbot head... maybe you've got some screwy CC? Dunno. :/

As for the random setting, it's possible there are kids inheriting hairs, I guess. Have you tried this in a new town to see if they still pick it randomly?

Lab Assistant
#3 Old 20th Nov 2010 at 1:52 AM Last edited by zymish : 20th Nov 2010 at 9:47 PM.
I tried to figure this out on my own, but I'm having a bit of difficulty with it - maybe you'll help? I want to replace the rectangular glasses with the smaller ones Grimma made, but I don't know how. I opened Grimma's file in CTU and extracted the meshes, but I don't know what to do next.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 21st Nov 2010 at 5:32 AM Last edited by jeannie4414 : 22nd Nov 2010 at 7:23 PM.
Hi, I followed your steps and was successful!

I tried them in game and they work fine, but the thumbnails are still the same. I deleted CASThumbnails and simCompositorCache, but has minor success. Some of the thumbnails are gone and regenerated by the game, but there are still some that are stuck and they are in the same line.

What else do I need to delete?
Screenshots
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Nov 2010 at 10:58 PM
zymish, this tutorial doesn't really cover that. The easiest way to do that would be to find the CASP for the glasses you want to replace and note down the instance, and then open the custom glasses in S3PE and replace the instance of the CASP with the instance from the EA glasses.

jeannie, that's strange... When you extracted the CASP from FullBuild0, were there any THUM files with the same instance?

Field Researcher
#6 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 4:27 PM
When I filter FullBuild0.package using 0xF8BC62A32C88B088 (thigh high boots) as the instance number, only two instances were left, the CASP and the XML. Can you please try this yourself if you can?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 9:33 PM
Yes, that's correct - that's how it should be.

Field Researcher
#8 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 11:45 PM
Where are these THUM files suppose to be lurking that're preventing my replacement from spawning new thumbnails? I did exactly like in your tutorial, in your example does it generate a new thumbnail for all of them?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 4:04 PM
Did you remember to delete CASThumbnails.package? I can't think of another reason why the thumbs wouldn't generate correctly... of course you could always add custom ones, but I realise that's not ideal. :/

Field Researcher
#10 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 9:12 AM Last edited by jeannie4414 : 4th Dec 2010 at 9:30 AM.
Yes I did, the one inside the Thumbnails folder. That is why some of the thumbnails were replaced, but I am not sure why it isn't all. Do you mind testing them in your game?

replacement shoes it's only a small file.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Dec 2010 at 6:39 PM Last edited by whiterider : 7th Dec 2010 at 6:53 PM.
You made the shoes in TSRW? The THUM file in HiHeelNatural01 won't work as the group is incorrect (should be 0x01 for the first design, 0x02 for the second and so on).

Is the heel height the only change in each shoe? Perhaps the thumbnails have updated, but the difference isn't really noticeable from the angle shown by the thumbnails?

Field Researcher
#12 Old 7th Dec 2010 at 9:56 PM
I didn't make them, those are assdude's non replacement shoes that I made some minor alterations. I pmed him. I only changed the instance number of the CASP to match the shoes in game.

Yes, the heel height are the only changes, mostly. But you can see the thumbnails are wrong, because the colors are different. In the screenshot I showed, it has two of the same color. There are two white shoes now, the 2nd one should be brown.

edit: I think I know whats going on here. I remember I've been deleting the CASThumbnails.package and there are some CAS items that will retain their thumbnails. Could it be that the thumbnails for these shoes are not in CASThumbnails.package and I have to delete something else?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Dec 2010 at 11:23 AM
It's possible, yes - I've never encountered that issue, but then I don't know everything. If there are such "rogue" thumbnails, I'd expect them to be in FullBuild2.

Inventor
#14 Old 16th Dec 2010 at 11:14 AM
This works wonderfull Whiterider.
However now I have so many Default Replacements made, I wonder how I can collect them in one file, like you did with the hathiders?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Jan 2011 at 12:41 PM
Sure, Coco - you should be able to just open one of them in S3PE, and import all the rest (right-click, Import... from package).

Do remember to keep the original, separate files, as you can't properly edit a merged file in CTU (you can - but it will always open the first CASP and ignore the rest).

Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 15th Jan 2011 at 3:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jeannie4414
I didn't make them, those are assdude's non replacement shoes that I made some minor alterations. I pmed him. I only changed the instance number of the CASP to match the shoes in game.

Yes, the heel height are the only changes, mostly. But you can see the thumbnails are wrong, because the colors are different. In the screenshot I showed, it has two of the same color. There are two white shoes now, the 2nd one should be brown.

edit: I think I know whats going on here. I remember I've been deleting the CASThumbnails.package and there are some CAS items that will retain their thumbnails. Could it be that the thumbnails for these shoes are not in CASThumbnails.package and I have to delete something else?

I had the same problem when I was trying to hide some things in CAS. Some clothes showed the wrong thumbnail and it drove me nuts, I could never figure out why though. So I ended up just deleting the hiders I made. *shrugs*
Field Researcher
#17 Old 15th Jan 2011 at 12:44 PM
with my case, when I delete the CASTthumbnails.package some of the thumbnails in the line were not deleted, so only those that were deleted re generated new ones. like whiterider said, we can always make custom ones as a last resort.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 15th Jan 2011 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jeannie4414
with my case, when I delete the CASTthumbnails.package some of the thumbnails in the line were not deleted, so only those that were deleted re generated new ones. like whiterider said, we can always make custom ones as a last resort.

I think custom thumbnails for me would probably turn out crappy, but as it's a mod I'd probably not share it might not matter.

I wonder if I made the hiders, deleted the CASTthumbnails.package before loading the game if it'd make a difference.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 25th Jan 2011 at 7:53 AM Last edited by whiterider : 26th Jan 2011 at 5:59 PM.
That's weird - I've heard of thumbnails not regenerating, but not thumbnails getting assigned to the wrong items. Maybe you should also delete CASPartCache.package?

ETA: It looks like thr problem with thumbs not regenning is caused by those thumbs also being stored in InstallDir/Thumbnails/CASThumbnails.package. So it looks like custom thumbnails are indeed the best solution.

Sockpuppet
#20 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 9:44 PM
Thnx for the tutorial.
I didnt have the option ''export to package'' tho after i had found the CASP
Needed to export it ''to file'' first, then create a new package and import the file back.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 15th May 2011 at 1:34 AM
Really? Which version of S3PE are you using? My 10-1104-1243 still has export to package, but I know I'm not great at keeping up with new releases, especially when there are betas and things involved.

Sockpuppet
#22 Old 15th May 2011 at 5:21 PM
Using the 64bit version, might needs to be updated on that part.
Test Subject
#23 Old 16th Nov 2011 at 1:51 AM
Giving in and seeking help
I've been trying to avoid posting and asking for help. I wanted to even less when I saw that the thread was a little old. It just seems the most relevent tutorial.

I've been trying to use this tutorial to retexture base game hairs, like Aikea Guinea has done, so that my textures replaces the texture the EA hair uses. That way even the randomly generated townies will sport them.

I have:

- Opened up the hair I want to retexture in CTU - Copied its Instance ID
- Used this to filter FullBuild0 in S3PE - Exported the CASP file
- Opened up the exported CASP file in CTU - Replaced the textures in there with my own
- Saved the edited package
- Deleted caches and entire Thumbnails folder
- Tested

And in-game, my textures do appear to be working. However, instead of replacing the EA hair, I now have the EA hair as one 'item' of hair, and my retextured version as another 'item', like it's a completely different hair.

This works okay for my sims, as I can select the hair myself. But NPCs will still use the EA texture, and I plan on doing this for many more hairs, so my collection of hair would just double in size, and that's... frustrating.

I've opened my edited package file in S3PE, and everything seems to be matching the original hair, except for the XmlEntries (collection) entry, and several underneath 'Clothing Category'. I can't seem to be able to change these values; that or I don't know how.

Have I made a common error? Has the Pets patch messed up these kinds of replacements? I've been trying to sort things out myself, stubborn as anything, but now it's causing more frustration than it's worth.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 16th Nov 2011 at 8:41 AM
If all you're doing is a texture replacement, you're probably better off just replacing the textures themselves - replacing the CASP is only necessary if you plan to change multiple features of the item. You can do that in roughly the same way as you replace a CASP, but a few steps are different:

Instead of copying the Instance, you want to note down the mesh name.
In S3PE, filter for Tag _IMG, instead of for Instance. Then sort everything alphabetically and scroll til you get to the files with the same name as your hair. Then you can extract as normal and just edit the textures like you normally would.

I suspect that it probably didn't work for you because CTU isn't designed for hair editing - DABOOBS is used for that, but I don't know of a way to default replace using DABOOBS. Anyway, even if there were a way, replacing just the textures would still be better.

Test Subject
#25 Old 16th Nov 2011 at 4:09 PM
Ooh, thanks for the quick reply! I didn't think I'd have something to work with the next day.

I wasn't entirely sure what good was supposed to come of extracting the textures there, and initially thought you meant to right-click and replace the textures there. S3PE simply couldn't save a file that large.

But I held on a little longer and realised that all I had to do was rename my textures to match those exported by S3PE, import them, and save them as a package. Worked a treat. Thank you so much!
Page 1 of 2