Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#126 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 6:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
I have come to the conclusion that Twallan is like the kind young man who helps the old lady (me) across the road and visits his old Granny on a regular basis (not to get $$, but because he is a kind and thoughtful person. On the other hand, J. M. Pescado & his crew are like young thugs would who knock over the old lady (me again) stealing her purse and laughing about it.
Nah, we're more like the cranky old man who yells at those damn kids to get his lawn.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#127 Old 10th Jul 2011 at 3:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Nah, we're more like the cranky old man who yells at those damn kids to get his lawn.

Except you're young and I'm old and still don't know how to decrapify and too intimidated to ask!
Test Subject
#128 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
The grammar nazis at MATY drive me nuts, because they are completely hypocritical. Not only do they not use perfect grammar and spelling themselves, but they also don't know the correct terminology for describing other people's errors. There's a DIFFERENCE between typos, spelling errors, lexical errors, morphological errors, and syntactic errors... and if you're going to accuse somebody of a morphological or syntactic error in particular, it helps if you can actually CORRECTLY cite the "rule" of grammar that is being violated, something that the MATY grammar nazis consistently get wrong. Moreover, it is hard to find a post by any of those people that is not itself afflicted by usages that would strictly speaking be considered errors by a good editor.

And all of those types of errors are also different from consciously adopting the conventional usages of particular internet dialects. For instance (among others): the old Usenet acronyms of the "AFAIK" type, emoticons and various types of laughter tokens, 1337, chatspeak, lolcat, or any of the hundreds of peculiar usages embodied in various Internet memes. The latter set of practices can't properly be regarded as errors at all: they are more like accents or dialects which people adopt as a means of expressing their identity, and there are different standards for different dialects. The MATY regulars make very ample use of many such practices that are in no way part of Standard Written English... particularly the family of usages lovingly bequeathed to us by 4chan (which is where most of the "cute" usages folks seem to think came from MATY actually derive from, like the pancake bunny).

So, yeah. People who live in glass houses should keep their critiques of other people's language use to themselves.

I couldn't agree with you more, Srikandi! I'm a bit of a grammar nazi myself though I try not to impose that on other people, too often. Heh. I just "grrrr" inside my head. Because really, it's not their problem, it's mine. I am, however, going to be looking up lexical and morphological errors to see what those are. Haven't heard of them.

Things that bother me the most are leetspeak and people get words wrong like than instead of then, there instead of their, your instead of you're, and even rouge instead of rogue. (I play WoW so rogues come up in conversation often.) Also something that annoys me is when people shorten a 2 or 3 letter word. Really?? Are you THAT lazy? This happens mostly with leetspeak. But again, it's not my place or business to impose my own rules onto other people so I try hard not to open my big yap and say anything. Though sometimes, if it's a friend, I'll tease them about something. But not often.

I’m sure I’m in serious need of some moral spankitude, but guess who’s not qualified to be my rabbi?”
Field Researcher
#129 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 9:25 AM
i used to use AM and liked it quite a lot. at some point after reinstalling the game, i had some difficulties getting AM to work. i could have probably figured it out, but grew impatient as i was having a bunch of CC problems in general, and just deleted all mods.
i recently decided to finally give twallan's a try after hearing so many good things about them, and now i find the game unplayable without them. i like that all twallan mods (at least that i've used so far) can be customized completely - not so much that they can just be turned on and off, but that there are further options open for each category. and there are so many! i started off with just the basic story progression mod, but then found the woohooer, then the extended parts of the story progression mod, and now most recently the master controller.
Test Subject
#130 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 12:14 PM
Okay so after reading this entire thread, I think I'm leaning towards downloading Twallan's MC, and SP, and some of his others as need be. I wanted AM at first, as it honestly looked more manageable compared to Twallan's abundant wealth of customizable options and tweaks that were, quite frankly, making me dizzy. But I will try Twallan's out now for awhile, as it seems the more user friendly and interesting of the two, and later try AM on for size. Thanks for all the helpful responses. I'm not the op but his/her question was exactly what I put into Google minutes ago that led me to this page so... yeah this all has been very helpful.
Eminence Grise
#131 Old 20th Jul 2011 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
Except you're young and I'm old and still don't know how to decrapify and too intimidated to ask!

Pescado is ancient... or he CLAIMS to be... of course he makes very sure that nobody can verify that one way or the other. (There are some who think he's a 14-year-old girl, but, well... yeah... I believe he's old There's a level of intransigence that has to be earned!)

Still, whatever Pescado's case is, you'd be surprised at exactly how aged many of our modding luminaries are Not safe to assume that anybody around here is a kid, though we certainly have some of them too!

Quote: Originally posted by Anjalena
I couldn't agree with you more, Srikandi! I'm a bit of a grammar nazi myself though I try not to impose that on other people, too often. Heh. I just "grrrr" inside my head. Because really, it's not their problem, it's mine. I am, however, going to be looking up lexical and morphological errors to see what those are. Haven't heard of them.

Lexical errors = word choice. Like the then/than thing you mentioned. (It's usually homonyms, but you'll occasionally find other usage errors as well.)
Morhpological errors = word forms, i.e. prefixes and suffixes. Like the idea that there's some version of the plural suffix that includes an apostrophe.
Scholar
#132 Old 21st Jul 2011 at 8:32 AM
I started out with Awesome mod and then had a long break from Sims. When I started playing Sims 3 again after an expansion pack was released, Awesome mod wasnt updated yet. Twallan's were.Well, the functions that were most important to me anyway. Being impatient, I picked what I needed from Twallan's mods and never changed back to Awesome mod again. I can't say if any of the two is better. Both offer functionality that I look for, so for me they are interchangeable. I do like that Twallan has a noobfriendly forum though. Although usually I dont mind people being rude on a forum, it is just sometimes annoying having to filter through the offtopic flaming posts.
Lab Assistant
#133 Old 21st Jul 2011 at 1:19 PM
Awesome and Twallan's mods work perfectly. Except on occasion when awesome picks up on something the woohooer shouldn't be doing, mainly when I "Take care of" and other sim for the Mob career. Weird

"Hence why I stay the hell away from bicycles"
-justin1010
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 9:38 PM
Oddly enough, most of we regulars on MATY are fully capable of going onto other forums and behaving appropriately, because we observe the forum's culture, respect their rules, and blend in. We ask the same of visitors to our forum. It's only polite.

Since we seem to have inherited a Claeric from MTS, we're working on an exchange program. Be expecting a large carton with air holes at any time. You're going to love Celesta, I promise.
Lab Assistant
#135 Old 27th Jul 2011 at 11:37 PM Last edited by Skadi : 28th Jul 2011 at 1:00 AM.
AM or Twallan is a fairly personal choice depending on what you want and your playing style. I can't live without the 'wand' functions and don't mind updating AM regularly. For the record Pescado normally answers bug reports and questions that are posted in the right threads quickly and very nicely most of the time. It's only when people don't search that things get bitey.

I try to take one day at a time, but lately several days have been attacking me at once.

Owner - Sublime Sims - www.sublimesims.net
Test Subject
#136 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 10:23 PM
I like both actually. I haven't been using them long or gotten into the most of the features and configurations they have, but for the most part i love them both.

I'm more concerned with the lack of empathy on the AM boards though. I used to play a popular mmo and the AM boards remind me of the utter lack of respect for other people i seen on other forums. Hell, i did not even bother trying to figure out the inane monty python stuff. The movie is one of my favorites of all time and I feel like the questions were there to screw with me more than it was to stop spambots. There behavior is best left in middle school where it belongs. I cannot stand trolls. I love the AM, but I despise the people on there forums. Bunch of leeches standing around waiting to jump on somebody. I looked through some of the more vocal ones and they have pages and pages of useless trolling posts and a rare post where there actually helping the sims3 community.
Scholar
#137 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 1:04 AM
Ugh, after I see the "noob" nazi's over at MATY, fire, decapitate and anihalate, someone. I wouldn't dare say anything.

( I'll now be preparing myself for the "noob" nazi's. They'll be here anytime now. Good luck to 12ooster, hopefully they don't kill them too painfully.)
Top Secret Researcher
#138 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 2:21 AM
I'm going to go with whomever is first to produce a mod that kills that reputation garbage.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Test Subject
#139 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 5:59 AM Last edited by ssoot : 30th Jul 2011 at 6:02 AM. Reason: double-checking was not enough. BAH!
Default Recently started using some of Twallan-mods, but...
I still use Awesomemod as a staple fix for my game setting since it just sets so many little EAxian errors straight. Sure some of the functions aren't documented, but I find most of them self-explanatory; and besides, if you can't discover whatever hidden options there are you probably won't need it. (and it's not like awesomemod is a gigantic file because there are so many options cluttered into it or anything.) Also, one tends to think and experiment a lot more when someone doesn't spoon-feed them everything and I tend to like that better, just because I can learn so much more.
The MATY forums are rather intimidating, yes. But ever heard of "when in rome.."? Yeah. In most, if not all cases, the rudeness and insults are more or less a counter-attack towards the initiative, and since I sincerely detest any and all ignorance to common code of conduct I don't blame them one bit. Besides, the flaming could even be done by the mindless trolls who just want to impress, as idiocy can go both ways.

But with that said, I do think Twallan is more user-friendly in any way around. Pescado is by no means lazy, but because Twallan has a series of mods which pick and choose little options at a time he can just prioritize and update the more important mods first, whereas Pescado has to look into all the aspects that awesomemod deals with befoe updating, that's my theory anyways... And because Twallan's mods can be configured in-game depending on your setup, I can see why a lot of people flock to it, not to mention the lack of intimidation in the forums. While I do love MATY's crass humour and justified hostility, I don't think I'll be posting in the near forseeable future; I'll just LURK MOAR for the time being.

So as the previous posts concluded, it's really personal preference and what you're looking for when you play. Awesomemod is well worth all the search for answers and the wait after the patch, and Twallan will not leave you hanging in most(if not all) cases... The forums just about reflect that as well.
Alchemist
#140 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ssoot
I still use Awesomemod as a staple fix for my game setting since it just sets so many little EAxian errors straight. Sure some of the functions aren't documented, but I find most of them self-explanatory; and besides, if you can't discover whatever hidden options there are you probably won't need it.

The problem is that there are undocumented changes made to the game. It's not hidden 'options', it's a change to the game that is being forced on you because you can't configure it, and you don't know what all those changes are ahead of time because they are undocumented.
Test Subject
#141 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by calisims
The problem is that there are undocumented changes made to the game. It's not hidden 'options', it's a change to the game that is being forced on you because you can't configure it, and you don't know what all those changes are ahead of time because they are undocumented.

Yes, these are called bug fixes. Pescado doesn't document all of them, because why bother? If he documented every singe little bug squashed in AM, the manual would be so long as to be unreadable. I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about undocumented and unconfigurable features, but I don't see any examples of them being listed. In any case, I don't really care. All I know is that AM fixes a lot of EAxian stupidity, and allows you to do a lot of cool things. FWIW, I use several of Twallan's mods too. I think it's quite misleading to ask whether you use one or the other; there is nothing preventing you from mixing the two.
Alchemist
#142 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 1:45 AM
Not all the undocumented features are bug fixes. Some of them are changes Pescado makes to the game to be what he wants it to be. When I was using awesomemod I used to follow the awesomemod discussion thread every day, and Pescado himself would occasionally talk about some undocumented feature in the mod. Since I haven't used AM since WA came out, I can't actually remember specific examples, I just remember that I reached a point where the amount of unconfigurable features and 'fixes' that I didn't want outnumbered those that I did want, so I stopped using.
AM does fix a lot of EAxian stupidity, but it also imposes Pescado's preferences on the game. What amazes me is how many AM users don't know, and don't care to know, what the mod they rely on is doing to their game.

ETA: I forgot to glomp you with a rainbow sparkly.
Test Subject
#143 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 2:05 AM
I don't get the "Pescado trying to make you play his way" impression at all. I find that the behavior of the game under Awesomemod is very similar to that of the vanilla game; I really don't find the mod obtrusive in any way at all. I think if anything, Awesomemod allows you to play the way you want, and not how EA wants you to.
Alchemist
#144 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 2:15 AM
Well, I don't think it's a matter of Pescado trying to get anyone to play his way so much as he implements some features that change the game to his liking, and doesn't make those features configurable for those prefer the EA standard. If you don't find it obtrusive it's probably because you prefer the Pescado version to the EA. And that's fine.
I'm the last person to try to tell any modder that they have to make anything to anyone's preferences but their own. But when discussing the pros and cons of AM, a prospective user should know there are unconfigurable features and some undocumented features, and if they really want to know as much as they can about what they are putting into their game, they will have to invest a lot of time following the AM discussion thread, which is kind of abrasive for some people's tastes.
Site Helper
#145 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 3:18 AM
A lot of people haven't played the vanilla game enough to recognize all of the things that Pescado has changed. He has changed the way that the game works in a lot of ways which are not bug fixes. It's useless to argue otherwise, unless you are willing to ignore what Pescado himself says about his own mod. Of course, I suppose that there are a lot of people who will argue anyway.

Pescado has a specific philosophy about how the game should work. If the game doesn't work that way, he changes it and does not provide any option to go back to the original behavior because it doesn't fit his philosophy. He has said this over and over again.
Alchemist
#146 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 5:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
A lot of people haven't played the vanilla game enough to recognize all of the things that Pescado has changed.

A lot AM users won't even play a new ep until AM has updated. I remember recently after Generations came out, the test version of AM had bug that was messing with romantic interactions for couples, giving them 'creeped out' moodlets after normal romantic interactions. The thread on MATY about Generations was filled with AM users complaining about EA's error until Pescado said it was an AM bug (which he fixed).
I wonder what use these people are as beta testers, sometimes, since they don't know what is actually in the game without AM.
Test Subject
#147 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 4:18 PM
I prefer Twallan's hands down. I wish there was another core mod out there I usually use EGC. I'd play the game with Twallan and wait for EGC to be updated. Since it hasn't been for almost 5 months now does anyone know another core mod other than AM. The people on website remind me of a bunch of West Virginian pseudo-intellects, so I never use AM. So if anyone knows of someone who is making a new core mod could you please point me in their direction.
Field Researcher
#148 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 11:51 AM
I use Awesome Mod but I prefer Twallan's Story Progression because going to every lot to place a crib was tiresome and a waste of my time.
Test Subject
#149 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 3:45 PM Last edited by Redhead : 1st Aug 2011 at 4:12 PM.
Twallan hands down. AwesomeBloatware causes game-breaking bugs. And no, they are not the result of mod-incompatibility. They exist even when AwesomeBloatware is the only mod installed. A friend of mine had similar issues with it, even when every other mod was removed. Of course we could register at MATY and report them, but why would we? If JP fancies himself the epitome of intelligence (apparently social skills aren't a form of intelligence) then surely he can put on his big boy panties and fix his own toys.

Bugs aside, the "documentation" for AwesomeBloatware looks to have been organized by a crack-addicted chimpanzee. The search feature of the forum can be used to find answers in theory, but in practice not so much. You'll spend up to an hour at a time sifting through variations of sEaRcH m04r r3t4rD along with other equally enlightening ableist garbage, and still not have an answer by time you're finished. Why bother?

Edited for minor typo.
Site Helper
#150 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 4:44 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 1st Aug 2011 at 4:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Redhead
If JP fancies himself the epitome of intelligence (apparently social skills aren't a form of intelligence) then surely he can put on his big boy panties and fix his own toys.
Really, there's no need to insult Pescado.

He is being kind by sharing all of the work that he's done to make the game work the way that he wants to play. He's even been kind enough to offer some options for people who want to play slightly differently than he does himself. However, he is not willing to add options for gameplay which breaks his philosophy of how the game should work.

Programming a core mod is a lot of work and adding optional behavior means more chances of failure, especially for combinations of options which Pes himself doesn't use. The mod works perfectly for Pes with the options that he uses, or he would fix it. He is also open to fixing bugs that other people find in his mods, as long as they are well-documented and reproducible, not caused by incompatibility with other mods, and they fit in with his philosophy of how the game should work.

Documenting a mod is even more work. It's not as much fun as programming for the average programmer, so it feels like complete drudge work. Pes documents some of the features, but not everything. I know because I've looked at the source code.

Supporting a mod can also be drudge work. I can understand Pes not wanting to support tons of people asking the same simple question over and over again, or demanding a feature which does not fit his philosophy. Instead, he expects people to search for answers and only ask intelligent questions. This makes a lot of sense to me; it's amazing how many people will waste your time with stupid and unnecessary questions if you let them.

Running a website can also be a lot of work. Pes basically allows the website to run itself and there are a number of nasty people who have attached themselves to the site because they enjoy putting people down.

If you are not happy with the mod that he provides, no one is forcing you to use it. However, you're going to have problems finding anyone else who is willing to spend as much time and care as Pes does in creating a core mod. Luckily, we have another person in the community who is willing to give his time and energy to enhancing the game, Twallan.

Again, you are not paying Pes to create, document or support his mod. He does it on his own time and is being kind by sharing it with you. There is no reason to insult someone who is doing you a favor.
Locked thread | Locked by: simsample Reason: Descending into a debate about rudeness.
Page 6 of 15