Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 1:07 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Lot crashes on specific lot and same spot
Hello!

I've been encountering an inssue which I can't figure out and I hope someone can help or give a hint.
I just built a beach house from scratch and furnished it (it has CC) and then moved a family in (2 members). I started playing and played for a while, an hour maybe until the game crashed, it froze and then came the background sound, so I hit the start button and there was "The application has crashed.The application will now terminate" message waiting for me. While I played I've opened a small home flower business and quite a few people came by, so I thought it might have something to do with overloading.I'm mentioning this beacuse this happend one more time with another lot, a house I've build for a friend to play in.She said she could play, no troubles until one day after leaving to work and the game going on speed mode,it crashed and since then it always did at the exact same time,just like with this new lot.She also mentioned that she went downtown 3 times in a day so maybe it has something to do with that.She tried to quit and save just before she knew the crash would happen,moved the sim out and back in with the house unfurnished,moved another family in,but it still crashed.
I thought it may have something to do with CC so I deleted everything in my Downloads folder and tested, it worked,no more crash.When I put everything back in (except a surf pack which I just got especially for the beach house), crashed again.This should tell me it's definitely about CC, right? The only thing is with my friend's lot (prior to the beach house), I've decided to delete it and just rebuild it all together in the exact same manner and furnish it in the exact same manner and now it works fine.So it is a bit confusing if it's the CC, because it has the exact same objects as before and now it doesn't crash anymore.
The only common thing I can think of is the fact that I've used the 'boolprop constrainfloorelevation' cheat on both of them.With my friend's house I've used it to cut the walls for a modern flat roof (which I didn't use on the new replica, but instead I used the stage) and with the beach house I've used it to build a dock.
So if anyone has a clue what this is about would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 4:01 PM
A lot of people use the CFE without crashing, so that's unlikely to be the problem.

Once you determine that something in the downloads folder is at fault, you can narrow down which piece by following the 50/50 procedure described in the game help FAQ you were required to look at before posting here. It's a tedious process, but doesn't take nearly as long as you think it will.

The fact that your friend's identical, rebuilt house doesn't crash any more implies that the bad CC is only bad under certain conditions, which the rebuilt house has not met. Testing may reveal the conditions, or you may never figure it out. The game is complex and computer logic doesn't have to make sense at the human level. The content itself may be perfectly good and still have a problem with something in your computer set-up, or in combination with another (perfectly good) mod.

So my recommendation is to back up the game, get a book and a hot drink, and knuckle down to working through the 50/50 procedure. Nobody can troubleshoot your game but you.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 25th Nov 2016 at 10:10 PM
Sometimes CFE can make a lot crash but that is normally when saving it as you build it. This is why I always save a lot and place a copy in the bin as I go if I am using a lot of CFE. I would rather upload lots that have not crashed on me since you never know if they might be buggy.

The cc issue may not be anything in the house it may just be in your download folder. CC crashing can be a weird and strange thing. We have had odd things on this board such a blouse crash the game when a sim gets a job, so it doesn't have to be directly related.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Nov 2016 at 1:28 PM Last edited by stufoasa : 26th Nov 2016 at 2:19 PM.
Thank you for your answers! I was going to rebuild this one too, but if you say that something in the Downloads folder is the problem that means this could happen again in any lot as well, correct? So I must start searching for the problem item.
I never used to save lots to bin, because I hade no idea about it and what it does, until recently when I started building houses.And since I wasn't used to do it, I just completely forgot with this one and moved a family in. I was very sorry after it crashed...swore I'll never forget again :D
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 26th Nov 2016 at 8:52 PM
I say that only because you haven't removed your whole folder and play tested. Make a backup first though. Rule cc either as the culprit or innocent first before you do anything else.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Nov 2016 at 9:22 PM
CC items can work perfecly fine for some people, but crash other people's games. I had one item that crashed downloaded lots that contained the item, and crashed my game upon entering the category in buy mode - but obviously somebody had placed the object in the lots, so it had to work for them, right?

Objects can also work when you build a lot, but when you try to place a family there, or the next time you try to visit the lot, the game crashes. I've had a couple of those, too.

These objects tend to be ones where the creator either did something wrong while cloning or modifying the object, cloned an object that needs a spesific EP to work, cloned an object that was updated with a newer EP, or any number of other reasons.

Unless there's a way to pinpoint the object (crashes a certain buy/build mode catalog, crashes a certain house, crashes/throws errors when you try to use the item, or in any other way gives you a hint of how to find the item), a 50-50 search is the best way to go. If you suspect a house contains the culprit item, you can try to pack it, and sort through the items with the Clean Installer (if packing the house is successful).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Nov 2016 at 3:46 PM
Thank you very much.I have found the problem in the Build mode catalog, subcategory plants.I was lucky to have started the procedure with this folder and it crashed when I tested and after I deleted and tried the Buy catalog, it worked.Afterwards I eliminated everything in the build catalog until I was left with the plants.