Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 10:16 PM
Default Assigning crib animations
Hi! I'm trying to convert a crib (cloning the bg crib) but I can't assign the raise/lower gate animation. The only custom cribs I've seen animate properly are the Haffa crib by @Honeywell and the rocking cribs by @NixNivis. Shout out to either of those smarties if they happen to see this :lovestruc
Tried this method: extracting the GMDC and importing into Milkshape using Wes' Unimesh plug-in
and this method: exporting the model as a 3D ASCII txt file
Either method, the Joints tab in Milkshape is always empty.
Does anyone have any suggestions about what to try? Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 11:39 PM
The cribs use morph animations, shastakiss. I don't think I ever found a tutorial for them but it's dead easy. Extract the GMDC and import the mesh like you were but say yes to create blend groups. When you do that your mesh will have the gate in multiple positions.

Create duplicates of your gate group and position them where they should be (down, midway and up). Once that's done click on the original morph group and copy the comments and group name to your gate. I'm really bad at explaining this stuff but I hope the pic helps:

ETA: Be sure to export as unimesh so you don't lose the morphs!
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 12:26 AM
Eek! Okay thank you VERY much for this helpful info with very intimidating-sounding things I've never tried before yikes! I really appreciate the picture especially. Luckily I'm 100% stubborn and a non-animated crib JUST WON'T DO.
Thanks again yikes eek haha :lovestruc
Into the fray!
Theorist
#4 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 12:40 AM
You're welcome. If you have any problems you know I'm happy to help so ask away.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 2:20 PM
Hello @honeywell! May I please interrupt your Saturday?

This crib has a frame and bedding but also glass (!)

and I can't figure out how to name all the morph groups.

Here are the .package and .5gd files. Thank you again for your help, I love learning stuff like this :lovestruc
Theorist
#6 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 5:14 PM
I'm happy to help. Ok, here goes me trying to explain...

tl;dr Your mesh with everything named/commented properly (can be edited if need be) and a working package is HERE.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 8:20 PM Last edited by shastakiss : 1st Jul 2018 at 12:25 PM.
Thank you! I still have a lot to learn about morphs but you've already taught me 900% more than I knew yesterday. I don't think I saved the 5gdc file correctly, I didn't mean for you to have to add the up and middle positions but thank you for that too (yours were better anyhow).

Thank you for the files, the explanations, and the pics - I'll be referring to this thread all the time. And thank you especially for your smart and generous help.

PS I extended the glass down so now when the gate raises it's like automatic car windows It's probably like that already in TS3 for all I know but still! I may or may not have made little whruvhrr sound effects when I tested.

Edit:
Upload is here
Theorist
#8 Old 1st Jul 2018 at 12:42 PM
It looks so good! Well done and thank you.