Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 3:36 AM
Default One-sided wall cutout?
I'm making a fireplace, but it protrudes from the wall too much for the look I'm aiming for. I want to set it into the wall slightly, using a cutout so the hearth isn't obscured. However, it's backless, meaning I want a wall cutout only on the side containing the hearth, not the outside wall. I've messed with cutouts enough in TS3 to know that it's possible there, but I have no idea if a one-sided cutout is possible in TS2. I can't even find much info on cutouts in general. Any knowledge is appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Advertisement
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 3:51 AM
If you mean a separate mesh to make the "hole" in the wall, yes. My niches only cut a hole in one side of the wall: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=506599
If you mean as part of your fireplace mesh, I have no clue how you'd go about that.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 2:52 PM Last edited by Qahne : 8th Oct 2017 at 3:06 PM.
I'm really very new to doing anything beyond mesh and texture swapping with TS2 objects, so I'm using my TS3 brain to think about this, and I think that may be part of the problem. To think I was so proud of my CRES fiddling yesterday! I'll pick apart your niches (that somehow I don't already have in my game ) to see if I can find a better way than my current train of thought, thanks MLC!

Edit: Oh, I think I get it! Comparing a window to your niches, you only have a wallmask defined for the N side in the TXMT, whereas windows have both S and N. I'll try cloning a window and deleting one of them and see where that leads. Now I just have to figure out how masks are linked to window meshes and see if I can glue it to a different object type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !