Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2018 at 10:56 PM
Default How to replace the mesh of an existing object by a Maxis mesh.
I have a pretty technical modding question, and I'd be happy for any help.

I've downloaded an object mod that pulls its mesh and texture from a basegame object.

Say I wanted to create another object with the similar functions, but using a different basegame model. How would I go about that? I guess it would just require swapping two things in Simpe, but how do I find what to replace?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 12:10 AM
Ok, so you like the repository technique, and would like to use it?
Are you planing on editing that object you downloaded, or starting from scratch?
Do you know about making an object mesh..do you have a 3D editing program?
There are so many more questions before I can even begin to see if I am able to help you!!!
So..go ahead, tell me :

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#3 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 4:22 AM
This is all about the repository technique that involves a MASTER and SLAVE objects. The master object stores the colours, while the slave object receives it colour from the master object. To really understand this, you much have the zeal to read and understand the details and procedures that helps to achieve this. Take a look at the following tutorials JWoods and IgnorantBliss . This two tutorial will give you the basics of what you want to know.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 5:55 AM
I don't think this is about slaving. Slaving does not pull mesh, only recolors. If I am correct and you mean objects that don't have a mesh of their own but instead pull the shape of another object, like for example simblender, then it's doing so by model name in the model text list. It's easily changed by swapping the name in the list with another one. You can get the other one by cloning the object you want without any options ticked, and then just looking at it's model list. Usually the text list is called 3D Object Names, but sometimes it varies so look for the one with instance number 0x00000085.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Feb 2018 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
If I am correct and you mean objects that don't have a mesh of their own but instead pull the shape of another object, like for example simblender, then it's doing so by model name in the model text list.

That what I mean! The object in question pulls the mesh & recolors of a Maxis clock. I'd like to have a object with similar functions using another Maxis clock's model.

Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
It's easily changed by swapping the name in the list with another one. You can get the other one by cloning the object you want without any options ticked, and then just looking at it's model list. Usually the text list is called 3D Object Names, but sometimes it varies so look for the one with instance number 0x00000085.

Thanks, I think that's what I needed to know. I'll try it as soon as I get back to my gaming PC.