Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 10:09 PM
Default Refurbishable Computer Mod / Navigating SimPE
Hey, guys! So I'm wanting to make a means of tinkering / saving some money for my more tech-y sims by making duplicates of the base game computers and making a catalog version of them where they're half-priced and appear in their broken state. Through the tutorials available, I've been able to actually start the object mod, but once it's been created and I get past all the checkboxes, there doesn't appear to be anything I can do besides look at the available actions for the computer and other resources that go with the item. This might be a more intermediate job than I was expecting. I can't seem to find any information pertaining to this kind of mod. Does anyone have any pointers for how I might go along, or know of any tutorials that would be pertinent to this sort of mod? Better yet, does anybody wanna take this idea up themselves? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 11:46 PM
When you say "there doesn't appear to be anything I can do besides look at the available actions for the computer and other resources that go with the item," you mean that you have gone through the process of cloning a computer and are now looking at all the resources in the .package file wondering to do?

If so, you have cloned the computer and now you must make your desired changes to those resources that compose the computer. Each resource is a certain component of the overall .package format.

If you have never made a standalone object before (that is, it has its own unique GUID so it does not replace the existing object), I recommend you follow the Sims 2 start to finish Object Creation Tutorial. You won't need the meshing aspect of the tutorial. You just need to know how to clone an object and give it your own GUID. You will be introduced to the OBJD where you can define the price of your object.

Once you have your own computer object that does not replace the existing computer, you will want to edit the BHAVs. BHAVs control behaviors on an object or Sim. If you have never worked with BHAVs, I recommend you start with this tutorial: Making Your First Custom BHAV. I would suspect you would want to edit the "Function - Init" BHAV to set the computer to its broken state as soon as the object is created.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...