Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 11:54 AM
Making Custom Careers?(I did find some tutorials but didn't go well)
Hi, so i have been really trying to make a custom career, i've tried this one http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorial:_Complete_Guide_to_Career_Modding_for_Beginners! and i've followed it 2 times but no luck,
also i tried this one http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Careers+Tutorial but no luck either, it was good detailed but when it came to editing the career data and stuff it got a bit confusing, i do have some experience in XML tho.

I would really appreciate any help or tips on how to do it :-)

Kind regards.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 5:44 PM
Anyone?
Instructor
#3 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 7:19 AM
Well, what exactly is your problem?
The XML Entries (ie <xxx>123</xxx>) provide clues on what they define (ie what the "xxx" are)
Perhaps you can download others' careers to see how they do things.
You should always start with the basics in the "YourCareerName.Careers" XML file. The basics are job titles, pays, working days and hours... and so on.

An advice I can give you right now is to use Notepad ++ for editing the XML files as it allows easier reading of the codes.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsMatthew
Well, what exactly is your problem?
The XML Entries (ie <xxx>123</xxx>) provide clues on what they define (ie what the "xxx" are)
Perhaps you can download others' careers to see how they do things.
You should always start with the basics in the "YourCareerName.Careers" XML file. The basics are job titles, pays, working days and hours... and so on.

An advice I can give you right now is to use Notepad ++ for editing the XML files as it allows easier reading of the codes.

Alright this time i guess i did it right, i can now join the career but job description and the join message well
basically everything about the career is showing nothing but just completely blank.

But when i go to work(In-Game, my career), then he just leaves work after a few seconds even tho he is not done at work,
so i think i did something wrong, anyway.

Thanks for the advice, i do normally use Notepad++ but i forgot.
Instructor
#5 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 12:44 PM
Oh, oh, oh, from my experience, using the default notepad almost always guarantee typos in the XML file! Well, back to the topic, I have had the experience of blank texts. It is caused by the STBL file as the original tutorial is actually rather unclear about this part. I have explained it to many other players in fact, but I'll just sum up the main points.

The text you input inside the entries (ie <xxx>YourEnteredStuff</xxx>) of career descriptions, career level names are actually a key for the game to translate into in-game text. The STBL file, defines what is translated from the "key" you inputted. So, when you give the key a name (eg for job level 1, "Clerk" inside the corresponding career level 1 name entry), the STBL looks for "Gameplay/Excel/.../Clerk" (I don't quite remember the parts - you look at the tutorial). And the <STR> part is the in-game text that you define.

As for the work-and-leave problem, my advice is that you should go over your XML file and locate typos. THERE MUST BE ONE OR MORE. LOOK CAREFULLY. I MEAN IT.

Keep up with your work!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsMatthew
Oh, oh, oh, from my experience, using the default notepad almost always guarantee typos in the XML file! Well, back to the topic, I have had the experience of blank texts. It is caused by the STBL file as the original tutorial is actually rather unclear about this part. I have explained it to many other players in fact, but I'll just sum up the main points.

The text you input inside the entries (ie <xxx>YourEnteredStuff</xxx>) of career descriptions, career level names are actually a key for the game to translate into in-game text. The STBL file, defines what is translated from the "key" you inputted. So, when you give the key a name (eg for job level 1, "Clerk" inside the corresponding career level 1 name entry), the STBL looks for "Gameplay/Excel/.../Clerk" (I don't quite remember the parts - you look at the tutorial). And the <STR> part is the in-game text that you define.

As for the work-and-leave problem, my advice is that you should go over your XML file and locate typos. THERE MUST BE ONE OR MORE. LOOK CAREFULLY. I MEAN IT.

Keep up with your work!

Thanks for explaining, made it easier :-)
Thank you very much ^^