Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Nov 2017 at 9:10 PM
Default Jobs and Careers
Ok, so I'm bein nosey again ... I'm curious as to how ya'll do jobs/ careers in your game. Let us know how you have your job/ career set up. Here's just some questions that might help, but you don't need to just stick with and answer them ...
- What ones do you use in your game? - Do you tend to stick with EAxis careers? - Or do you prefer CC careers? - Or a mix of both? - If you do DL what ones do you have? - Do you spread the jobs out limiting the number of people who can have that career? - Or is it 'the more the merrier'? - Do you let the sim pick the job or do you put them in what you see them as? - If after havin the job it doesn't seem to fit the sim, do you change it or make them suffer through it? Do you base a sims gettin a job on anything? Other than here at MTS, where else do you look for/ have found careers?

For me, I have mostly stuck with the EAxis careers and have never really DL'ed any. However, I was thinkin that I wanted to expand out in this area, which is sorta why I was nosey as to what others do. The EAxis ones kinda get repetitive after a while, specially as your town/ city grows. I'm not against havin multiple people in the same career line, but I also want to spread the jobs around. I try and let the sim themselves tell me what they want to do, but when you have all your Romance sims wantin to be in music or freelancer (the lazy flake job, I forgot what it's really called) or all your knowledge sims wantin to be adventurers or oceanographers. I try and base the job on what seems to suit them best. I mean come on an athlete who's lazy isn't gonna make it very far ... :P

Just that sometimes it seems kinda difficult to decide on some of the jobs as to what to use as a basis for them. So here's sorta what I look at when thinkin of givin a sim a job: Are they active or lazy, are they nice or mean, and what do they show a decent interest in. (They are listed as they show up in the Blender)
Architecture - leans more towards bein shy, interest in environment
Dance - active, interest in culture and/or sports
Entertainment - playful, outgoing, interest in entertainment,
Intelligence - leans more on the serious side, interest in crime and travel
Oceanography - interest in environment and/ or animals
Adventurer - active, interest in travel
Education - interest in school and/ or work
Gamer - more on the lazy side, interest in entertainment
Journalism - this one is kinda more of a open one as it fits a lot of likes imo
Law - interests in politics and crime, environment, and/ or money
Music - interest in entertainment and/ or culture
Culinary - interests in food
Law Enforcement - (I try and make sure they're active, but not always), interest in crime and environment
Medicine - interest in health and/ or money
Military - active, leans more on the serious side, interests in environment and/ or travel and sometimes crime just depends on the sim
Politics - outgoing, interest in politics
Science - interest in sci fi environment, and/ or health
Freelancer - (again sorry forgot real name as I have the name replacer) this is another very open job so it's not given out till others are filled
Artist - more on the shy side, interest in culture
Natural Scientist - interest in animals and environment
Show Business - very outgoing, interest in entertainment
Athletic - very active, interest in sports, work, and/ or money
Business - another very open one so this is more given if they choose to want it before I just give it out
Criminal - the want to be a criminal mastermind, high interest in both money and crime
I left off Paranormal as I don't use it at all.

So while this seems like a lot of jobs, in reality it's not so I'm glad that people like lientebollemeis make the CC careers to be able to expand. I'm just not sure what ones I'm lookin for other than I want them to be like an every day job and somethin that isn't really covered by the ones already in game.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 27th Nov 2017 at 11:04 PM
the jobs my sims get depend partly on their Aspirations; and partly on the careers of the other household members.
generally each sim would get careers that build their Aspiration's "preferred" skill/skills. and generally, each career would be had at most 1 time in each household.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Nov 2017 at 11:13 PM
Depends or their wants, ltw personality, interest, predestined hobby, turn ons/off... basically on pretty much everything.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 12:17 AM
I use lientebollemeis alongside Maxis jobs. I also use the careers mod to give my sims the ordinary jobs that NPC's do, like maid and gardener. Most of my sims get jobs from the computer or newspaper. So although they might want to be town mayor, they may have to settle with bus driver just to pay the bills. My sim Antonio dreamed of running a prison, but unfortunately ended up as head of a criminal gang because it was the highest paying job available,

A few sims I create for the job. They will be the banker or school teacher. Some sims are created to be stay at home or be unemployed, and they have special custom careers with no hours or pay. I use the Job Seeking Noticeboard and they pick up the job from the noticeboard. Most of the jobs eventually become playable OFB careers with the use of Simlogical's Institutional Sign. This stops the carpool from coming but doesn't penalise you. My banker works in the playable bank everyday, and the school teacher run's a playable school for the children sims in many of my families, and my author will say she's an author when talking to friends, she has the job title and description but makes her own days and hours.

i also use mods like Christianluv's one to hire other sims to come and clean and garden. These are lovely cash in hand jobs for those not fully working. i use lientebollemeis to start some sims on their career path early. They take up after school classes and teenage jobs that develop into adult careers, this is alternative to going to Uni. The more jobs i have, especially at lower pay grade, alongside mods from Maty/Cyjon makes finding a high paying career harder. Many will not get their ideal job, they will never achieve their LTW. I decide with Stoppinator (Cyjon) Who will raise 4 kids on the pay of pizza delivery person.
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
the jobs my sims get depend partly on their Aspirations; and partly on the careers of the other household members.
generally each sim would get careers that build their Aspiration's "preferred" skill/skills. and generally, each career would be had at most 1 time in each household.

Their aspirations? As in what they like about other sims or if they're a romance, knowledge, family sim.. or such? So how do you decide what job goes with what aspiration? What do you see as belongin to what?

Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Depends or their wants, ltw personality, interest, predestined hobby, turn ons/off... basically on pretty much everything.
Similar to what I do, but how do you break it down and decide? I try and look at the OTH, but sometimes it's a bit fuzzy imo on what they want. Maybe it's just me not gettin the connection between the various things.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 2:43 AM
I usually go first with what they want for jobs-then it'll be based on their LTW, if they have one for a career aspiration. If they're lazy or they don't like to talk about work, they usually end up on welfare until they get the ambition necessary to get a job.
You have to staff the town, anyway-with the doctors, nurses, and EMT's; with the Mayor and the other various assorted politicians, the scientists and military cadre. Once you have those filled up, then you can give the others jobs they want.
Usually no one gets a job based on their hobby unless they're very, very into it-it's a hobby, not a profession!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
#7 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 3:05 AM
I've only used EAxis careers so far. How I assign them depends on the neighbourhood.

In Sheffield, my largest hood, unemployment rates are high and Sims can only apply for jobs on Mondays. Sims who have degrees can apply via the computer and the newspaper; those who don't have a degree can only use the paper. A "job application" involves rolling percentile dice, and the Sim has to score high enough to get an "offer". The minimum score they need depends on their education level and on how much they want this particular job, rather than just any job. For example, a Sim who has a degree but didn't get honours would need to roll 88 or higher to get a job corresponding to their wants (Lifetime or panel), and at least 90 to get any other job. I always instruct them to "search for job" twice, so they can apply for everything and then, if they're lucky enough to get multiple offers, they can choose which one to accept. If they don't get a job on their LTW career track, they can look again the following week, and if the job shows up their chances of getting it are slightly increased according to how well they're doing in their current job. Also, all Sims have a chance of being laid off on a Sunday night, so some Sheffielders have had several short-term jobs. There are two exceptions to these rules: Sims who have a Criminal LTW can just take a job on that track as soon as they find one, any day of the week; and Emma Gothier and her heirs automatically get jobs in the Paranormal career because they own the graveyard.

In Carr's Crossing, my BaCC, the Founder works in Politics and her husband in Law Enforcement, while Samantha Ottomas is the schoolmistress. One other Sim is on the Business career track, technically as a Mailroom Technician, but the head canon is that he manages the government warehouse. All four of them have Job Stopinators and will only rise above the first level in their job when the population is big enough. All other adult and young teen Sims are employed in construction (the Architecture track). One Sim actually has a LTW for that career, and will be allowed to advance as far as she is able (head canon: she's studying architecture online); one has reached the level of Head of Construction Company and one is a Foreman, but the rest will be stuck as Cement Mixers or Bricklayers until there are enough of them to justify a second Foreman. Older teens do compulsory National Service, getting Military wages but working on the construction site; it's the government's way of making sure that Sims from poor families can afford an education or pay their first proper rent. David Ottomas has just finished his National Service and decided to move back to the City (downtown) to pursue a career in music...although I'm not quite sure why, because in the week he was living in the military hostel, he never once went into the music room. Then again, he rarely rises above Roadie anyway, and that job does seem to suit him.

In other hoods, Sims may use Monique's computer to get the job they want, if they can afford it, or they just choose from whatever is in the paper. This is one area where I don't go absolutely by wants, because career wants really should fit the personality, and very rarely do. I assign Aspiration based on personality, so it should follow that Sims would get a LTW suited to that personality, but it just doesn't seem to work that way.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 5:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
Their aspirations? As in what they like about other sims or if they're a romance, knowledge, family sim.. or such? So how do you decide what job goes with what aspiration? What do you see as belongin to what?

Similar to what I do, but how do you break it down and decide? I try and look at the OTH, but sometimes it's a bit fuzzy imo on what they want. Maybe it's just me not gettin the connection between the various things.

Well If a newly resident sim moves in and has a want to apply for a different job than the one their LTW desires, I apply them to temporarely work for that one, just to earn some aspiration points and keep the bills payed, before the ad to the final one pops up on newspaper/computer. I had though of also choosing the job for the sim based on their highest Interest subject/topic as plan B, in case their LTW isn't career related and the want for finding one wasn't popping soon. Basically, I had a list that corresponds each job to each of Interest, though I haven't yet had the opportunity to apply this type of tactic. If you need help deciding a job for one of your pixels, provide us their character details and a little backstory so I can give my suggestion what fits best for them
Scholar
#9 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 3:36 PM
they get the job required for their LTW

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 7:16 PM
As God, I give them whatever I want them to do. I do have some custom jobs for aliens. And I love giving the job of "stay home and take care of babies, house work, yard work" to Romance sims - they do so irritate me.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Field Researcher
#11 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 8:45 PM
I take a look at all the career and their levels (usually through SimsWikia) and then plan out how many open positions I want for each job (for example, there can only be 1 mayor but 5 city council members). Some positions can be expanded depending on the city budget (for example the amount of how many patrol officers the neighborhood will have).

I use some Custom Careers. I'll list them all under a spoiler tag, what I plan to do with them and also who made them.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 10:58 PM
I use the EA careers, the NPC careers, and one-three others, depending on how defined.

Paranormal, due to the top being Cult Leader, I use as my religious leaders' career. Adventurer is for diplomatic personnel. I have the extracted Game Developer and Entertainment Business careers--those are as titled, while Gamer is just game testing. I have Inge Jones' prison careers.

Different colleges specialize in different careers. Hmm, Notebook says: ALT trains the leaders of culture, politics, and religion. It isn't just what you know, it's who you know. To go into Art, Show Business, Entertainment Business, Music, Law, Politics, Dance, Paranormal, or Adventurer, a sim attends ALT. SSU is the soft sciences school: Athletic, Business, Education, Game Development, Intelligence, and Journalism. LGU is hard sciences: Medical, Natural Science, Oceanography, Science, Architecture. LFT is the tech school, specializing in Culinary and Law Enforcement programs. (Also for badge building--toys, stylist, etc.) No degree is required to enter into Art, Criminal, Culinary, Entertainment, Freelancer, Gamer, Paranormal, Military, Show Business, Music, Dance, Journalism, or Politics, but if you have the appropriate degree you can start much higher in the field--connections--or it may be necessary for promotions--for example, if you don't have a degree, you aren't going to be a General.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#13 Old 28th Nov 2017 at 11:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
told in past threads the careers I give to sims.
Family: careers that build Cooking and/or Cleaning
Fortune: careers that build Creativity
Popularity: careers that build Charisma
Romance: careers that build both Creativity and Charisma
Knowledge: any skill
gave those careers in past times playing; had just base game then.
have yet to give careers to Pleasure and Grill Cheese sims.
Pleasure: probably Creativity and/or Charisma
Grill Cheese: probably Cooking
Field Researcher
#14 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 12:07 AM
I download custom careers sparingly and really don't have my own additional rules. I figure that some sims would take 'any job they can find' but others would be a bit pickier. In the past I've downloaded the job board mod, but that just makes finding a job in any career almost a bit too easy.

Probably my favorite custom career is the remake of the Hacker career from Sims 1, yes partially because it's well-paying on top of a generous money system, also partially because it seems somewhat realistic that being a hacker isn't the top level of that career.
Scholar
#15 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 12:24 AM
What ones do you use in your game?

All the Maxis ones, plus a variety of custom careers.

If you do DL what ones do you have?

Quite a variety of them, and I don't remember all of them. However, they do include a cluster of NPC careers, two student "careers" (imagine getting paid lots of money to complete a degree, with absolutely no career commitment required at the end!), three benefits-based "careers", several careers which are copied over from The Sims, and a vampire career (not to be confused with the set of vampire-friendly versions of Maxis careers I also have)..

Do you spread the jobs out limiting the number of people who can have that career?

There are restrictions on what jobs a given person can work (for example, elves never take a job that could plausibly involve violence, and the current High Ruler never takes any job at all), as well as a rule that only one Sim per household can be in a given career at one time... ...except for owning businesses or those money-earners that can be done as side jobs (like painting or novelling).

Do you let the sim pick the job or do you put them in what you see them as?

Sims mostly pick their jobs. Occasionally I have to tell a Sim what job they are doing (for example, the Sims that work at the prison must work in whichever of Law Enforcement, Law or Prison Services appears first). Also, if a Sim encounters a benefit-based "career" before they find the career they want, they are obliged to accept the benefit-based "career" instead, with certain limitations (for example, the "Disability Benefit" career is always accompanied by a disability).

If after havin the job it doesn't seem to fit the sim, do you change it or make them suffer through it?

I allow Sims to change job if they roll a want for it... ...or if something else makes me think they would change jobs. However, it's not necessarily simple even then; I have "Jobs Sometimes", so some days there are no careers available, no Sim may work in the same career twice... ...and all jobs will soon require an interview to be passed. More on the latter below.

Do you base a sims getting a job on anything?

There are two main requirements: desire and the interview.

Desire can be a want to work (if a specific job, then they will wait for that job only, otherwise they will attempt to take the first job available and eligible). It can also be running low on money and seeming like a Sim more likely to work in a career to sustain themselves than to run their own business, subsist on side jobs or find some other way to survive..

The interview is the nearest thing to a control I have. It's based on interest points. Each career has three interests associated with it: Work, one of Money (for indoor-based work) or Environment (for outdoor-based work), and a third interest connected with that career (for example, Politics' would be... ...politics, Law Enforcement's is crime and Medicine's is health). The starting salary determines how many interest points a Sim must have in those three interests to pass the interview:

"Benefits-based" careers are open to everyone, even if they have no interest points in anything. These are forced on a Sim through bad luck, not really chosen.

If a Sim is employed by another Sim, the interest-based interview is bypassed; it's assumed other methods were used to ascertain the Sim's suitability for such work.

The least selective actual job is the set of NPC careers, which require 4 interest points between the 3 categories they use. Their starting salaries are only $50. There are a variety of these jobs, so I'd hope that most Sims could find some employed work eventually.

Something more average would be Business. Its $168 starting salary means it requires 12 interest points in Work, Money and Travel.

There is a cap of 20 interest points (out of the 30 interest points possible in 3 interests), which is used for any career with a starting salary of at least $300. The Vampire career ($750 starting salary) and Military career ($350 starting salary) are the only careers I can think of where this applies.

In all cases, only where the interview is passed do I allow Sims to have the career. Otherwise they must skip it (unless they end up reading about interests in magazines, in such a way as to become able to pass the interview).

Other than here at MTS, where else do you look for/ have found careers?

I only use MTS and Maxis careers.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 3:23 PM Last edited by LilSister : 29th Nov 2017 at 4:01 PM.
When I first began Redwood Cove Sims were living off the land, fishing, growing their own vegetables, Becks Mill (sells bags of flour/grain) and prospecting (digging). As the neighborhood entered the second generation businesses were created and townies were added to the neighborhood. I chose careers based on my Sims personalities and things they were interested in. At the time I was not interested in fulfilling their LTW. It was all about the story and the evolution of the neighborhood.

Many of Redwood Cove Sims are either self-employed, work in Sim owned businesses, custom careers or are unemployed. Currently in my game I only use three Maxi careers (Military, Paranormal, and Law). Some of the custom careers that Sims are employed in are Association Soccer, Hollywood Career, Show Business, Chi Kung Healer, Fashion Magazine, Florist, Fortune Teller, Historian, Jazz Career, Modeling, Nursing, Pastor, R&B, Professional Ballerina, Surfer, and Pastor Career. I've also used the Classical Music Career, Gospel Singer, Publishing Career, and Cosmetology Career. Most of these careers I've gotten from here at MTS. I downloaded a Professional Basket Ball Career from Insimenator and I had to fix it along with the Nursing Career because I couldn't use them both together.

I also made two careers for my game, Professional Race Car Driver Career and Small Town Police Officer Career. Vovilla created some awesome stock cars, and I wanted to have a logical reason for having them in my game. So the Professional Race Career Driver Career was born. I created the Small Town Police Officer Career because Redwood Cove is a small town and small town Law Enforcement Agencies operate differently from Law Enforcement in larger cities and I wanted that to be reflected in my game. I plan to eventually default my career in lieu of the games Law Enforcement Career Path. I will also modify careers to fit my game play; sometimes I rewrite chance cards to make more sense to me.

To date there are twenty-two Sim owned businesses in Redwood Cove (including sub-hood Sea Island Village).

1. Ajani Coffee House: Serves Espresso, Cake, Sandwiches, Omelets (Simwardrobe Buffet). Patrons are charged a cover and they can play chess and mahjong. Owner sometimes host open mic night and performs on guitar for tips.
2. Convenience Store/Gas Station: sells sandwiches, fresh fruit (apples & oranges) and sundry items.
3. Ajani Auto Shop: Renovated auto shop turned into a bar (owner never changed the name). Patrons play poker, darts, dancing, TV, and buffet.
4. Ajani Fresh Produce Market: fresh farm produce, chicken, fish, harvested honey (Gwenke/Untidy Fan Bee Hive) and homemade bread, soup and cakes.
5. Herbal Store: sells medicinal herbs and teas, candles (Becks candle maker), medicinal marijuana (crop harvested for profit), and other items.
6. Majid Books: Sim sells her novels (15 to date) novels written by other authors, along with magazines and books from the in-game bookshelf.
7. WLAT Radio Station: host the Friday Night Dance Party; sells espresso, Buffet and makes money from Sim Slice Modular Synth and Sim Slice Superstar Mic (both modified by me for my game).
8. Redwood Cove Chronicle:Coffee shop and Newspaper Office. Employs Sims using Monique's Computer OFB Write Article. Coffee and Sandwiches sold in coffee shop on the first floor.
9. Tranquility Touch Day Spa: Get massages, use hot tub, sauna and salon services.
10. Kabob & Curry: Indian Take-Out Indian food
11. Soccer Field: play soccer, serves espresso, hot-dogs, hamburgers (SW Buffet) and video games (SW mod charges $5 for each play)
12. Redwood Cove Cemetery: For Redwood Cove family members only. Sims pay burial fee to owner.
13. Tai Chi Studio: Sim pay fee to enter; learn tai chi, hot tub, green tea is served and there is a BBQ grill.
14. Things Remembered Florist: in addition to flowers, they sell homemade chocolates (candy maker), balloons, teddy bears, and other gift items.
15. Lyric Café Poetry Lounge: espresso and SW wardrobe buffet serving sandwiches. Sims are charged a cover.
16. T-Bones: is a bar for sports fans and adult gamers. Juke Box, Large Flat screen TV, pinball and arcade games; SW Buffet
17. Chicken Hut: sells food for take-out (Fried Chicken Bucket, Hoagies, Shrimp Platter and Double Cheddar Burgers) also have buffet chicken dinner (SW Buffet)
18. Laundromat: Sims charged Cover, chess game, TV, arcade game
19. Outdoor Flea Market: sells clothes, handbags, shoes, sneakers, jewelry and perfume
20. Redwood Cove Police Station
21. St. Catherine's Church
22. St. Catherine's Cemetery

Redwood Cove never had a formal government — I guess you can say they have a Family Government were the Elders set the rules, settled disputes and arranged marriages. Now in the fourth generation young Sims are showing an interest in government with LTW's for Mayor, and the Law Career. This makes sense as the neighborhood has grown and business have expanded outside of Redwood Cove. For obvious reason you can't have numerous Mayors, however I don't see a problem with having a Mayor for Redwood Cove and for each sub-hood. I currently only have one sub-hood (Sea Island Village), and have been considering adding another.

Employment in Redwood Cove is also determined by whether or not a Sim goes to College. Not all Sims go to college. Sims who have an interest in School 7 or more points are eligible for college. In my experience these Sims will roll wants to do the assignments, write term papers, go to class and do research. I use the no autonomous research and assignment. So Sims who roll wants to do these things I direct them to do so. Sim who don't suffer the consequences of low grades as grades are contingent upon going to classes, doing assignments, research and writing term papers. I added the mod no autonomous research and assignment because I didn't like how the game functioned.. Sims would do research and their assignments during parties; and they would often research until their bladders were full, they were starving and about to pass out. This behavior was annoying and didn't make sense. With the way I have things set up now my college Sims behave more sensibly and realistically. So Sims without college degrees will never be employed in Careers where a degree is necessary.

I have a Sims who make a good living writing restaurant guides (you can make almost $4000 per guide); free lance writers (using Monique's computer work at home option) and as artist using the easel.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 8:19 PM
It's really interesting to see how other players set up their 'hoods! Some of you seem to really go into the fine details and I really admire that--I don't have the energy to put so much into my 'hoods, haha. I wouldn't be able to stick to a lot of the rules.

I go by a variety of things. I first check the Sim's LTW and decide whether or not I think the career (if there's one listed) fits the Sim's personality, interests, and story. I look at their personality ticks next, and then their interests, and from there I sort of mix it all together and come up with several careers that might fit them. I take into consideration how far they would probably make it on the career ladder, because not all Sims are ambitious or even hardworking enough to make it past being a Resident, for example. I like to put together their in-game personality with the one that I've come up with as they've gone through their lives: a Sim might have a lot of Nice points, but maybe in my head they actually just excel at faking kindness.

I think I'm going to start taking their parents' jobs into consideration a bit: Perhaps a child would be less inclined to join the Criminal career if one of their parents was in it after seeing how brutal it is (on the flip side, maybe that child would glorify it because they're an adrenaline junkie).
Mad Poster
#18 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 10:52 PM
A few more minutes free today: since I use an Uberhood, which careers a sim can get and how are based on which neighborhood they live in as well as where they went to school.
So, for example, Veronaville is basically Hollywood in my game. If Tybalt Capp wants to go into Show Business, he can get the career by hack the first day of adulthood, because he attended ALT and lives in Veronaville. If Gunnar Roque wants a Show Business Career, he must find one in the Newspaper because he attended LFT--he gets no bonus in either level and must wait until it shows up by game mechanics. If Erin Beaker wants a Show Business Career, she must find it in the Newspaper and then move to Veronaville.

This sounds really complicated, but it isn't in play. I have a list of careers/colleges associated, and I put which school a sim went to in their in-game bio. I have a list of neighborhoods/careers associated, and most sims move from college to the town they want to get a job in, unless they have a really good reason not to--say, didn't qualify to go to the associated college, Mom and Dad will let them live at home for free. Conflicts arise when a couple have incompatible career wants--say he wants Military, which puts them in Strangetown or Desiderata, and she wants Show Business, which puts them in Veronaville.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh