Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd May 2011 at 11:27 AM
Default I have heard rumors about creating custom quests...
I have heard a few small rumors that it may be possible to create custom quests for the sims medieval. Is this true? How do I do it? What tools do I need? Is there a good guide on how to do it anywhere? Would be awesome.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 23rd May 2011 at 11:59 AM
I believe that it is possible, but no one has done it yet.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd May 2011 at 12:43 PM
Now that you mention it, is there a way to make custom ambitions in the sims 3? Not the appropriate place I know but related to topic.
Instructor
#4 Old 23rd May 2011 at 3:52 PM
It's definately possible to edit quests.

Quests are contained in XML files that can be edited. Other things like text strings, interactions and stuff are contained in other files, but they are also either XML or STBL(string table, can be edited with s3pe). So technically all you need to makes custom quests would be S3PE and a DTTB wrapper for the binary XML. I've made some test quests this way.

Unfortunately, the quest XML's are huge. To really do anything major will take some kind of editor. I'm working on one right now (I'm sure others are as well), but it won't be ready for awhile. Right now it's mainly just a browser, but it can edit a few things.

Hopefully that kind of answers your questions.

Also I've learned alot about the quest XML so if you have questions about what different elements do you can ask me.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th May 2011 at 6:13 AM
Thanks grim, seems a bit difficult to do until someone writes a tutorial. If you could write one that would be really helpful, I have tonnes of ideas.
Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 11:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grimreefer24601
Quests are contained in XML files that can be edited. Other things like text strings, interactions and stuff are contained in other files, but they are also either XML or STBL(string table, can be edited with s3pe). So technically all you need to makes custom quests would be S3PE and a DTTB wrapper for the binary XML. I've made some test quests this way.

Unfortunately, the quest XML's are huge. To really do anything major will take some kind of editor. I'm working on one right now (I'm sure others are as well), but it won't be ready for awhile. Right now it's mainly just a browser, but it can edit a few things.

I think quests are the lifeblood of any rpg, and this one really needs a lot more. I like the ones we got, and they keep me coming back to the game; unfortunately, I couldn't agree with you more: I had a look through a few of the xml files, and they are just gargantuan

Any progress on that editor, grim? I generally find that xml is fairly straightforward to generate but an absolute nightmare to work with once you have it, and unfortunately I don't know enough, say, js to whip up an editor in a reasonable time frame.
Instructor
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2011 at 4:01 PM
I keep picking away at my quest editor, but it will probably still be awhile longer before I even put out a beta test version. There's a lot of different "Quest Nodes" as they call them, and I need to figure out what all of them do, and what values can be placed in them. I can now make a complete quest with my maker, and load it into Medieval, but there aren't many different options currently.

I'll keep working on it until I finish it, or someone else beats me to it, but I can't even make a guess as to when that will be.