Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 7:21 PM
Question about meshing project
I'm attempting to make a misc decorative item for the kitchen that i wanted to clone from a dishwasher as i wanted it to be able to use in a counter, but is there a way of doing this without keeping the dishwasher animations? Basically make it snap into a counter but have no use?

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 7:46 PM
It may be possible to change the scriptclass (in the OBJK) to be the same as a decorative object, and with any luck the OBJD flags will still let it snap under a counter.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 11:13 PM Last edited by j3nni : 12th Sep 2009 at 11:27 PM.
Hmm interesting, with what would i view the objk file with?

EDIT: ah found out from another thread how to use the grid. Changed the scriptclass to a decorative flower vase.. have yet to finish the package and test in game though, getting on with that right now.

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
#4 Old 12th Sep 2009 at 11:17 PM
The latest S3PE includes a (reasonably) friendly editor for it. Highlight the OBJK resource and then the Edit button should come on.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 12:37 PM
Thanks for that updated it and thats easy to find and change. What about joints in the mesh? Obviously the dishwasher has numerous as its a working object but i'm making a non-functional.. how would i assign the joints to it?

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
#6 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 12:42 PM
I'm not sure it's all that important to do so. Usually I don't bother.

If you really need to, with the mesh in Milkshape, open the Joints tab. Select the relevant joint. If you've got more than one joint and different vertices are meant to be connected to different joints, hide the mesh groups containing those. Then in the joints tab, click "selunassigned", check it looks like you expected, then click "Assign"

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 3:58 PM
Well i made the package, but for the second time it's invisible in game. The image shows up in the catalog and its snapping under the counters but it is also placeable to normal ground, dont know why. Placing it in either place doesn't make it visible however. I left the OBJK file as it was to see if it came out normally, so that wasn't tampered with. When i exported the meshes from milkshape, it had 4 joints to it, as the dishwasher had 4 joints to it, but the object i made was assigned to only one of them (the main one), the other 3 joints had no vertices attached to them, would this cause a problem?

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
#8 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 4:05 PM
I am not really a joints expert. All I can say is that it's not caused a problem in objects I have made. It may improve when you change the OBJK, and also the various flags in the OBJD. Maybe the script for placing an appliance expects rules of the mesh that don't apply in a decorative object.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 4:09 PM
That would make sense, but i dont want ot get my hopes up! Am i right in thinking that i've read somewhere that you can't reedit a package you've already fixed? Would i have to do the whole thing again

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
#10 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 4:16 PM
It's ok to edit the contents of individual resources, but you shouldn't delete or add any resources after doing the renumbering. Renumbering again won't help either, if you do. Anyone thinking they will want to add or delete resources should use the cloner in two passes - one to clone without renumbering, and one to renumber without cloning, with the resource deletion in between the passes.

So your OBJK edit will be ok.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 4:34 PM
Well i'm stumped now, i had a look through the OBJK and OBJD, only changed a couple of things which i was pretty sure about what they did, object was still invisible but it did lose its counter snapability, i'm assuming it was in the option for 'counter appliance'. So i put that back to the way it was, but nothing is twigging on me as to why its always invisible

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
#12 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 5:12 PM
Have you tried exporting your meshes again from the object as you have tested it and see if they do in fact contain models? Just in case the import went wrong

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 5:46 PM
Just did that, exported them from the finished package, decompiled them, imported them into milkshape and they are there as they should be. I would have already just made an entirely new package from scratch but this invisibility thing has happened to me twice now with this and i cant understand why so it's making me think that the same thing would only happen again

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
#14 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 5:57 PM
I know someone else who makes invisible stuff too. I'll have to think about it a while - and of course if anyone else has any ideas in the meantime please butt in :D

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 6:26 PM
Is it possible to have you or someone else look at my package? Just so one of you more adept meshers can just check if i've done something obvious to other eyes?

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
#16 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 6:31 PM
Upload it and we can look.

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#17 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by j3nni
Is it possible to have you or someone else look at my package?

I'm so mature.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 6:38 PM
Yknow i went to say if you pardon the expression then decided to be mature about it, you've let me down now haha. Will edit this when i've uploaded shortly.

Here's my package http://www.mediafire.com/?nd3qnooizyv you children

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
#19 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 7:26 PM
Ok, is it meant to be jet black? If not, you have something wrong with your textures. Maybe the machine has an invisible skin.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 7:36 PM
No its not supposed to be jet black, i've not had it show up like that at all. Was that what it looked like in your game? How would my textures have become invisible?

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
#21 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 7:41 PM
Not in my game, I looked at it in TSR Workshop cos that lays out the textures as they are linked. And previews the object. The textures were mainly black and so was the object in the preview. I think some of your alphas may be transparent?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 7:45 PM
Oh well if thats the case that should be easily fixed.. i'm not entirely sure which texture dds was which so i just copy and pasted on the equivelant of my own texture on the same style that each texture was for the original object. How would i know which texture file would be the one making it transparent? Could you maybe have a look through the dds's from s3pe?

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
#23 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 8:46 PM
Yes that's possible, but yuo have to export them, we don't offer a preview. Or I think Echo's Postal offers preview for the object as a whole. There is no point me looking, I am a struggling noob when it comes to DDS images.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 9:22 PM
Weeell, i looked at my dds images from Postal.. in each image the red, green and blue channels show my image, but the alpha channel is showing white in all of them. Is this why my object isnt showing up? I dont know how dds's work so am i best to go to a different forum and post about this
But then again i'm still not sure if i have done something else aswell. Seems that maybe the textures route may be the one to look at though

<'',><
Just keep swimming..
#25 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 9:33 PM
I thought white alpha meant solid and black is transparent? Sorry I am out of my depth now, SOMEONE ELSE HELP PLEASE lol :D

Page 1 of 2