Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 11:26 PM Last edited by ZeonZumDeikun : 28th Sep 2015 at 10:50 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default A Questiong Regarding Moving The Sims 2 to Another Hard Drive (Solved)
Hello. I have a question about moving The Sims 2 to another hard drive... Firstly, I have three hard drives installed on my computer listed as C, E and F. The C drive is my main drive with Windows 7 installed on it, E and F are storage drives with F being the largest. I currently have The Sims 2 installed on drive C, the main drive, but I'm out of disk space on it and would like to move The Sims 2 to drive F where I'll have plenty of space. I realize that, unfortunately, to do this I will have to uninstall TS2 from the C drive and reinstall everything on the F drive, as much of a pain as that is, but what I'm not sure of is the My Documents folder.

The My Documents folder is, of course, currently located on the C drive. The custom content in TS2 is what's taking up a lot of the space, and that's my primary reason for wanting to move the installation to a different drive. However, if I install TS2 on drive F, wont it still require the My Documents folder on the C drive for the custom content, saves, and other such things? Is there some way I can create a My Documents folder on the F drive and use that for custom content and what-not? Or is there some easier way to do this?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Sep 2015 at 11:46 PM
Mad Poster
#3 Old 24th Sep 2015 at 6:50 AM
Alternatively, it is possible to change the sizes of your C, E and F drive - you will need to download a partition program to do that, and there are some good free ones available.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Sep 2015 at 8:40 AM Last edited by ZeonZumDeikun : 24th Sep 2015 at 8:53 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Alternatively, it is possible to change the sizes of your C, E and F drive - you will need to download a partition program to do that, and there are some good free ones available.
I did try downloading EaseUS but I don't really understand it and I haven't found any good documentation on it. I've found how to change the size of the drive (which I can't do on the C drive, obviously, 'cause it's pretty much full) but I couldn't really find any information on how you would be able to split the data onto another drive, such as the F drive, and link it to the C drive so that the data still worked. Or whatever it's supposed to do. I don't really understand it... Though it certainly sounds handy.

Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
http://www.modthesims.info/article.php?t=53400

I also have a question about this guide. From the way it's written it sounds like if I move the My Documents folder to the F drive using the method mentioned in the guide, that The Sims 2 will still link to the newly-created My Documents folder on the F drive even if the install location of The Sims 2 remains on the C drive. So... I could leave The Sims 2 installation as it is and just move the My Documents folder without having to uninstall and re-install The Sims 2. Am I reading that right?

But then again, that guide is also saying that both of their C and D drives existed on the same hard drive, while mine are two separate hard drives. Would that still work?
Field Researcher
#5 Old 24th Sep 2015 at 9:27 AM
I can assure you that it works - I have the "My Documents"-folder on my separate D-drive and my programs om my separate G-drive and the "Windows"-folder on my (separate) C-drive. BTW i followed the short version in the guide.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Sep 2015 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZeonZumDeikun
I also have a question about this guide. From the way it's written it sounds like if I move the My Documents folder to the F drive using the method mentioned in the guide, that The Sims 2 will still link to the newly-created My Documents folder on the F drive even if the install location of The Sims 2 remains on the C drive. So... I could leave The Sims 2 installation as it is and just move the My Documents folder without having to uninstall and re-install The Sims 2. Am I reading that right?

Yes, My Documents doesn't have to be on the same drive as the game files. My installation is currently on the E drive with My Documents on the C drive.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Sep 2015 at 11:15 PM
Actually, I made enlarged my C-drive (the guy who did the setup made it too small). Used something called AOMEI partition, and it is still on my desktop in case I want to do it again.

However - I only did that to make it easier for myself, and agree that your game files and documents can be on different drives - I had mine that way before. I changed it because I want my work stuff on a drive that has nothing else on it.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 25th Sep 2015 at 12:28 AM
Yes, you can change the partitions round if you have a single drive though my e drive is a separate drive physically.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Space Pony
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Sep 2015 at 10:50 PM
It looks like changing the My Documents folder to another hard drive worked just fine. And it opened up over 20 gigs. Thanks for the help.