Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 10:08 PM
L-Shaped Staircases
Prism Art Studio is the brand new venue (I think it is introduced today) that has "L-Shaped Staircases", I mean the true L-Shaped staircases, not the one made from CFE.

http://store.thesims3.com/setsProdu...:71911&section=

For 1700 simpoints (sale price, original 1900), are we to blow $17 for the stair only? Granted it gives you a new lot, glassblowing/jewelry making station, jewelry hanger, perfumes, etc... But all I really have attention on is that L-shaped staircase. Imagine the possibility! I presume it will work like spiral staircase (or ladder) that is a single object and not as flexible as normal staircase working with variable height.

But $17 ...

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 10:12 PM
L- shaped staircases should have been added when Sims 3 first came out.

You only live once make the most of it..:)
Scholar
#3 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 10:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eman72
L- shaped staircases should have been added when Sims 3 first came out.

If any of them has an ethical bone in his/her body, L-shaped stairs will be added to the next last update.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Feb 2014 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gaudet
If any of them has an ethical bone in his/her body, L-shaped stairs will be added to the next last update.

Quite a big IF.

Scholar
#5 Old 7th Feb 2014 at 1:56 AM
Oh gosh that makes me so angry. I was gonna get the set from MATY anyways but now if I want to use it in a lot it'll be a pain and all that. Guess I could share on Tumblr instead of here though but still.
/sighs heavily
Maybe some resourceful modder will manage to use the animations for a split level. I already use those scripted half-landing stairs all the time.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Scholar
#6 Old 7th Feb 2014 at 9:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by efolger997
Oh gosh that makes me so angry. I was gonna get the set from MATY anyways but now if I want to use it in a lot it'll be a pain and all that. Guess I could share on Tumblr instead of here though but still.
/sighs heavily
Maybe some resourceful modder will manage to use the animations for a split level. I already use those scripted half-landing stairs all the time.

Finally someone who's not afraid to say the truth. When it comes to EA, I think the no piracy rule don't apply. The fucking karma policy applies.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 12:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by juansfalcin
Finally someone who's not afraid to say the truth. When it comes to EA, I think the no piracy rule don't apply. The fucking karma policy applies.

While I may agree with you, but by speaking for pro-piracy, you will either get in trouble with the forum's policies, or get this forum in trouble with EA. Piracy is a sensitive subject, like stealing, robbing, but at a virtual level (so easily done and so hard to get caught).

This brings back to the story of Capitalism: all about market and profit and see the population is their reaping ground. So naturally, without regard of ethic (ethic play is a public relation term, to make EA looks good), what is "working, and not working" is very objectionable and irrelevant. To EA, what works right now is they are reaping a lot of $$$ from Sims franchise. Every other game they put so much into to be able to sell the base game with about 3 expansions (not even that), but Sims? 10 Ep, 10 stuff packs, and an entire sims store. And who are you to tell EA how to run their cash cows?

So in this "free market", EA has the products, you can choose to buy or not to buy. That is your "freedom" and "rights". Ethic has very little to do with it, sadly. But the only way to put EA to their place is having another game developers (or 2, or 3) develop something similar to Sims: a life simulation game. THEN EA will freak out and start to bring "ethic", "customer service", "customer care", "customer feedback" back onto their tables. In "free market", competition is the only thing that really regulate price and content. I know, there is no such thing as completely free market, but ... you know what I mean.

A little history lesson: The first popular MMORPG is Ultima Online, a 3rd persion top view (fake 3D) online game. Low and behold, it was developed by Origins, and later Origins was purchased by EA. I knew some developers from the original team. They made great games like Wing Commander and Privateers. But since nobody really had an MMORPG, they made it like a single player game. Thus update and patching became a bitch because everything was "baked in", not as modular as games these days (think of all the .package is hard coded into the game client). And their producers (especially when after EA took over) acted like "you either like our games or you don't play MMORPG". They really treated their customers like cattle. Until Everquest came out, until FFXI, and many more came out .... then Ultima Online went from "the king of MMORPG" to "the most pathetic pushover MMORPG". So pathetic that ... they had NO budget to advertise for their latest EP that they had to ... use their own handheld camcorders and their own office staff for TV/web commercials (Youtube was not relevant back then, Google was still a baby). Just imagine your favorite movies are shot on handheld iphone with all the Director's buddies as actors (instead of real movie stars).

#8 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 12:41 AM
Whilst I agree that L shaped stairs should have been in game from the beginning, I have no intention of buying them. CFE L and U shaped stairs are very easy to make.
just a girl
#9 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 12:51 AM
Since this is a topic about the stairs ... has anyone already played? Can we adjust the height / number of steps to "platform", or it is always in the middle?
Scholar
#10 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
While I may agree with you, but by speaking for pro-piracy, you will either get in trouble with the forum's policies, or get this forum in trouble with EA. Piracy is a sensitive subject, like stealing, robbing, but at a virtual level (so easily done and so hard to get caught).

What I really meant was that EA deserves people being assholes to them. I don't practice piracy and absolutely don't want people to practice it - I want people with forks and torches at EA HQ's.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lamare
Since this is a topic about the stairs ... has anyone already played? Can we adjust the height / number of steps to "platform", or it is always in the middle?

From what I gathered through review videos, they do act like spiral stairs which mean you place as an object and cannot adjust height at all.

Quote: Originally posted by fairycake89
Whilst I agree that L shaped stairs should have been in game from the beginning, I have no intention of buying them. CFE L and U shaped stairs are very easy to make.

My problem with it is such CFE stairs can't be made inside high rise shells, and not as straight forward to make, and you can't attach the "mid level" against wall. I really hope we can get it without forking out $17/$19.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 1:36 AM
I hope they put out more of these staircase. Do they know how annoying it is having one design of an object that requires many, for design purposes? It's not premium content, so I can totally see them making more. Just like we have 1 elevator, 1 L-shaped stair case wont cut it.

I think it's a base game object compatible object , too.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Alchemist
#13 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 4:03 AM
Can Sims stop walking in the middle platform or they'll just continue going up/downstairs?

Just call me Nikel
Mad Poster
#14 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 4:18 AM
The continuously walk up or down.

Site Helper
#15 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 10:03 PM
SO the biggest thing that makes these different from what the modding community has already created is that they come from EA and you have to pay for them?

No thank you. I've got my free CC Half-landing stairs.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#16 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 10:28 PM
Actually, the biggest difference is animation vs. teleportation.

Site Helper
#17 Old 9th Feb 2014 at 10:37 PM
Not if they are using Inge's script

Gosik and Inge made a set of right and left half-landing stairs that are fully animated.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Scholar
#18 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Not if they are using Inge's script

Gosik and Inge made a set of right and left half-landing stairs that are fully animated.

From Simlogical : "These stairs here are the scripted version of the stairs Gosik and I made from the Generations EP spiral stairs. Gosik made the mesh and textures, while I made the script and edited the routing slots and rig. We both edited the footprints and nearly had a fight over what should be allowed to intersect, but managed to compromise in the end lol! The scripted version stops the sim animating, which looked silly as he was going round in a spiral (he now just snaps from the bottom to the top instead of walking up) and also disables the sliding down rail interaction."

Unless they have a different version I don't know about?

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
dodgy builder
#19 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 10:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by efolger997
From Simlogical : "These stairs here are the scripted version of the stairs Gosik and I made from the Generations EP spiral stairs. Gosik made the mesh and textures, while I made the script and edited the routing slots and rig. We both edited the footprints and nearly had a fight over what should be allowed to intersect, but managed to compromise in the end lol! The scripted version stops the sim animating, which looked silly as he was going round in a spiral (he now just snaps from the bottom to the top instead of walking up) and also disables the sliding down rail interaction."

Unless they have a different version I don't know about?

That's true, and now they have the animation as well. They just need to turn the staircase in a different way
Instructor
#20 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 5:33 PM
No company, no matter how shoddy their product or how poor their customer services, "deserves" to be pirated. Reviled, boycotted, sued in court, sure, but not stolen from.
I completely agree with tomomi1922 that EA needs competition. I can't understand why rival game companies aren't looking at EA's sales and saying, Holy Simoley, let's get in on that. And if they came up with a better product (and isn't that what competition is supposed to be about?) I would drop EA so fast...
Anyway, back on topic - will these staircase be buyable as an individual item through the ingame store, do you think?
just a girl
#21 Old 10th Feb 2014 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fxchrfxchr
Anyway, back on topic - will these staircase be buyable as an individual item through the ingame store, do you think?

Many store items begin to be sold separately sooner or later. But as for the venues, it only applies to premium content. As far as I know, furniture and construction objects are usually inseparable from the venues with which they are sold. Although we can't know for sure.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 6:34 AM
No company, no matter how shoddy their product or how poor their customer services, "deserves" to be pirated. Reviled, boycotted, sued in court, sure, but not stolen from.
I completely agree with tomomi1922 that EA needs competition. I can't understand why rival game companies aren't looking at EA's sales and saying, Holy Simoley, let's get in on that. And if they came up with a better product (and isn't that what competition is supposed to be about?) I would drop EA so fast...

There was a game called "Single, double trouble 2" that has some similarity with TS3. The game is a glorified dating game (like those web games) where you play a guy, go to work, rest, try to date/get some women to come over his house and sleep with him. The similarity is players get to edit house/apartment like TS3 Buy/Build mode. Can buy furniture, create walls, and even upgrade/move to better apartment. It's actually closer to Sims Freeplay as we can only play 1 character (I think only male, so this has very little appeal to female players). But because of that Build/Buy mode, it comes quite similar to TS3.

I really hope for competition because EA has to work harder and we consumers would have a choice. The whole wide world has ONE sim franchise.

Oh, I really want to bring up something. I just got a "WARNING" from MTS admin because I was "testing" forum policy for using the word "torrent" even my content in the post trying to tell people NOT to talk about "torrent" or mention any information related to "torrent" TS3 content. But apparently this is a banable offense or something. My warning reads "You have asked for help with stealing intellectual property..." It's like Martin Luther King Jr is guilty of racism because he was fighting AGAINST racism. So you guys have been warned, don't even mention any piracy keyword related or you will get banned from MTS.

One Minute Ninja'd
#23 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 11:07 AM
So, if we even discuss Torrent Falls in Kentucky, or the actress Ana Torrent, or even the movie with Greta Garbo, Torrent, we get a warning letter? Cool.
Inventor
#24 Old 11th Feb 2014 at 12:28 PM

I agree with your first point, except when we're talking about EA, they really do deserve every bit oh hatred aimed at them. Remember the whole SimCity fiasco? Have you seen what they did with Dungeon Keeper?

As for other companies trying to compete with EA? They'd need to be already established and well of producers to even pull that of. Maybe someone like Activision/Blizzard could do that, but they're focused on their own successful IPs.
Any lesser company trying it and coming even close to being good at it would simply be bought out by EA.
EA didn't get their reputation for being evil money grabbers from nothing.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 12th Feb 2014 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
I agree with your first point, except when we're talking about EA, they really do deserve every bit oh hatred aimed at them. Remember the whole SimCity fiasco? Have you seen what they did with Dungeon Keeper?

As for other companies trying to compete with EA? They'd need to be already established and well of producers to even pull that of. Maybe someone like Activision/Blizzard could do that, but they're focused on their own successful IPs.
Any lesser company trying it and coming even close to being good at it would simply be bought out by EA.
EA didn't get their reputation for being evil money grabbers from nothing.

I wouldn't want to agree with you on smaller developers not being able to tackle TS3 type of product. TS3 is NOT that grandeur as we may expect (CC creators may want to disagree). It's just a base engine/framework made to accommodate content, lots of content. Think of it as Lego, toy designers made Lego: various sized/colored plastic bricks with a unique way to connect them. Then they throw to their creators and say: Go to town, have fun, design whatever you want. And what we got as a huge franchise of Lego toy with oh so many themes (dragons, ninja, city, Star wars, etc... ) all built on top of the very simple design brought forth by original Lego designer. Yes they did introduce a few items (dragon wings, slanted surface pieces, etc...) to accommodate something they absolutely cannot build with traditional pieces. But they did not have to go back and change the original design (and muck up the entire Lego eco system). That is what I call a strong design.

But then, I really have to agree that EA, being a game publisher, flashes their cash and influence around, their "evil money grabbers" reputation. Although I must say Activation and Blizzard also started out from very small size as well and they remain small. Origins was a company like this, and it was bought over by EA. But Chris Roberts, one of the founder of Wing Commander franchise, rebooted his idea and now developing his own Privateer's world of MMORPG through Kickstarter, look at robertsspaceindustries.com/ . They raised 38 millions USD mostly from selling virtual spaceships with real $$$ in world not yet online. This is a rare example of people with virtually no money to make great games. I do hope small studios will consider making Sims' type of product, away from the claw of EA.

Page 1 of 2