Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2015 at 7:11 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default All of a sudden crashes all of the time
I have been playing the sims 3 for quite some time now. I have been doing the same game for a long time with no problems. Here recently in the last couple of days the game has been crashing a lot saying sims 3 has stopped working. I have no idea what is wrong. Sometimes it will go 10-15min sometimes longer. Today I went in and it crashed with in 5 min or less of game play. It mostly crashes when I go to map view but sometimes when I am just in live view. If you want to know about the specs of the computer trust me it is more than big enough and fast enough for this game. I've had the game for quite some time and have all of the expansion packs and had absolutely no problems. Just here in the last couple of days it started doing this. Thank you in advance for any suggestions
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Jan 2015 at 8:55 PM Last edited by Annything : 27th Jan 2015 at 9:07 PM.
What Windows do you have? If Windows 8 (ESPECIALLY WINDOWS 8.1) you should go to the desktop icon, right click it, go to properties, go to the "Compatibility" tab, check the box "Run this program as administrator," and then change it so that The Sims 3 is compatible with Windows 7. It should look like this: http://puu.sh/f71xH/099c4ca661.png

Repeat for all of the expansion packs. c: (ESPECIALLY the early ones. World Adventures through University Life).
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 3:07 AM
Seeing you have been playing the game for quite some time on the same computer ( I am assuming on Windows?) and are confident your system specs more than meet requirements there are a few things you can try first hand to try to pinpoint your problem. You haven't mentioned what you've already tried to resolve the problem so will just suggest a few things to start with.

Have you tried playing in other worlds to see if the same thing happens? If you've been playing the same world for a long time there could be some corruption or file bloat in the world itself.
You haven't mentioned what mods you are using. Do you have NRaas Error Trap and/or Overwatch installed. If yes, check for script errors and if you have them the folks over at NRaas can read them for you.

Try a clean folder game. Move your The Sims 3 folder to desktop or someplace safe, start a game (the game will regenerate a new The Sims 3 folder) and see if you can play. If you can play without problems chances are you've got an outdated mod, mod conflict, bad CC, or your game file has become corrupt.

Here are some Tips For Better Game Performance . Perhaps something in there will pop out at you and help.
There are also some steps you might want to try here on Crinricts Help Blog
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
Seeing you have been playing the game for quite some time on the same computer ( I am assuming on Windows?) and are confident your system specs more than meet requirements there are a few things you can try first hand to try to pinpoint your problem. You haven't mentioned what you've already tried to resolve the problem so will just suggest a few things to start with.

Have you tried playing in other worlds to see if the same thing happens? If you've been playing the same world for a long time there could be some corruption or file bloat in the world itself.
You haven't mentioned what mods you are using. Do you have NRaas Error Trap and/or Overwatch installed. If yes, check for script errors and if you have them the folks over at NRaas can read them for you.

Try a clean folder game. Move your The Sims 3 folder to desktop or someplace safe, start a game (the game will regenerate a new The Sims 3 folder) and see if you can play. If you can play without problems chances are you've got an outdated mod, mod conflict, bad CC, or your game file has become corrupt.

Here are some Tips For Better Game Performance . Perhaps something in there will pop out at you and help.
There are also some steps you might want to try here on Crinricts Help Blog

Yes I have mods. Have NRaas error trap and overwatch. I haven't added anything new in the way of mods or CC in several months. I think I have it pin pointed down to approx. when it happens. When ever I go into map view with out pausing the game. So say I leave it on play and zoom out to map view. Usually with in a few seconds after doing so, that's when it crashes. I have played it for a bit this evening just to see what it would do if I paused the game before each map view. I did that and it never crashed. Yes I have been playing in the same world for a while. I have checked the world cache file frequently and no file with .bad has shown up. I don't always get a script error from Nraas either. Just occasionally. The last couple of times I didn't get an error file. No I haven't tried other worlds to see if it happens. I guess I just figure what ever it is, is because my town has about 200 sims in it. Seems like that's when a lot of lagging begins which is why I have the life span on my townies short to help keep it from getting too populated too quickly. Seems to help on the lagging and pausing issue. I will try to play again tomorrow just to see again if it is only happening if I have the game on play.
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by no.1froggie
Yes I have mods. Have NRaas error trap and overwatch. I haven't added anything new in the way of mods or CC in several months. I think I have it pin pointed down to approx. when it happens. When ever I go into map view with out pausing the game. So say I leave it on play and zoom out to map view. Usually with in a few seconds after doing so, that's when it crashes. I have played it for a bit this evening just to see what it would do if I paused the game before each map view. I did that and it never crashed. Yes I have been playing in the same world for a while. I have checked the world cache file frequently and no file with .bad has shown up. I don't always get a script error from Nraas either. Just occasionally. The last couple of times I didn't get an error file. No I haven't tried other worlds to see if it happens. I guess I just figure what ever it is, is because my town has about 200 sims in it. Seems like that's when a lot of lagging begins which is why I have the life span on my townies short to help keep it from getting too populated too quickly. Seems to help on the lagging and pausing issue. I will try to play again tomorrow just to see again if it is only happening if I have the game on play.

Oh and yes, this is on Windows. Windows 7 to be exact
Field Researcher
#6 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by no.1froggie

Can you list the non-object mods you're using, in addition to NRaas ErrorTrap and Overwatch?

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 6:23 AM
You mentioned that you have gotten some script error files, yes? You should report them to NRaas: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/How+To+Upload

I actually just used that a few hours ago and you have to make an account first and then request to be a member of the wiki. Have you tried opening up your .xml error files?
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pepoluan
Can you list the non-object mods you're using, in addition to NRaas ErrorTrap and Overwatch?

I have quite a few mods. Would be a really long list to list them all. I use most of NRaas mods but several from the mod the sims website along with others from other sites. I do not use awesomemod. I had to about 2 months ago take off NRaas mastercontroller integration mod because it wouldn't let the game load. Even if I tried a bran new world. If I took that off it would work but if I put it back on it would crash at the world loading. That has been the only thing that I changed and that was almost 2 months ago. I played last night for about an hour while waiting for my husband to come home and had no problems as long as I paused before going to map view. If that's all I have to do then I can work with that. Although it does kinda bug me not knowing what is wrong lol
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Your description is way too vague and there are just too many assumptions being made.

1) give us your deviceconfig. posted it here with the spoiler tag. it is a file in your TS3 user folder (usually documents\Electronic Arts\Sims 3\...)

2) People always say "I didn't change anything," but majority of the time something was changed they've only forgotten. OR! Your savegame is corrupted. So...

2a) Delete your cache files, just in case one or more is corrupted. Then run the game.

2b) if 2a didn't fix it. Delete your cache, create a NEW game, preferably an EA world. Do not import any of your families etc.. Just play around and see if it crashes. This will resolve if your savegame is the problem.

2c) If 2b didn't fix it. Remove CC/mods, delete cache, then create a NEW game. This will resolve if you actually DID put in some new CC/mod

This will narrow it down.

3) You may not have changed anything in TS3, but did you change anything in your system lately? New hardware, new software? Do you have a malwarez scanner?

I honestly don't know what a spoiler tag is. I have seen them listed on some downloads but never really know what they were or what they did. If my savegame was bad wouldn't it have .bad behind the file? I already delete my cache files but not always. I wasn't really paying attention yesterday when it did it several times in a row on whether or not it was when I deleted the cache or not. Since I don't know what a spoiler tag is here is what I know about my device: Windows 7 Professional, AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor 2.80GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit Operating System, 500GB hard drive space, upgraded the power box about 6months ago and added extra fans-fully aware that AMD overheats easily and will not be my next choice when I upgrade my computer the next time. I do have virus and malware protection on the computer. I know I haven't added any new CC or mods in over 2 months because I know I haven't added anything since I had problems with one of NRaas mods crashing.
Theorist
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 3:24 AM
Ok, I have played it again for a bit this afternoon and for a while this evening. This time I did not clear out my cache. Nothing happened. I left it on play when I went to map view, I went into edit town several times and also scanned the town while I was in close up with the family. So I guess that's a good thing that nothing happened but doesn't really help figure out what it was if anything at all when it doesn't do anything. Thank you all again for your suggestions.
Theorist
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 11:30 PM
When you replied my previous post, it should show you the spoiler tag (it is just using the word spoiler and /spoiler in [])

Oh no! Not at all! .bad file just means that it cannot save, usually due to memory leak. You can have situations where you perfectly saved a game, but it is corrupted. Sometimes these are repairable, other times they're permanent and hopefully you have a backup.

The thing is, your cache could be damaged and thus deleting it will solve the problem. However, if you have a mod or your savegame is corrupted, then it can mess up your cache each time you load. Hence why I repeated it in every step I posted above.

Sorry, but this doesn't help. This only tells us what you have. Deviceconfig tells us exactly what TS3 is running.

When I click on your spoiler tag it only says this: herro! Sorry I have no idea what that means.
Theorist
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 11:33 PM
Your description is way too vague and there are just too many assumptions being made.

1) give us your deviceconfig. posted it here with the spoiler tag. it is a file in your TS3 user folder (usually documents\Electronic Arts\Sims 3\...)

2) People always say "I didn't change anything," but majority of the time something was changed they've only forgotten. OR! Your savegame is corrupted. So...

2a) Delete your cache files, just in case one or more is corrupted. Then run the game.

2b) if 2a didn't fix it. Delete your cache, create a NEW game, preferably an EA world. Do not import any of your families etc.. Just play around and see if it crashes. This will resolve if your savegame is the problem.

2c) If 2b didn't fix it. Remove CC/mods, delete cache, then create a NEW game. This will resolve if you actually DID put in some new CC/mod

This will narrow it down.

3) You may not have changed anything in TS3, but did you change anything in your system lately? New hardware, new software? Do you have a malwarez scanner?

ok, I found where the deviceconfig is at, how do you do a spoiler?
Test Subject
#16 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 1:47 AM
Download The Crash Log Analyzer. The game creates a notepad file every time it crashes. Open TCLA and drag and drop the notepad doc into the program, it will tell you the cause of the crash.

Once you know the cause, you can find out how to solve it.
Theorist
Original Poster
#17 Old 3rd Feb 2015 at 12:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by living-dead-girl
Download The Crash Log Analyzer. The game creates a notepad file every time it crashes. Open TCLA and drag and drop the notepad doc into the program, it will tell you the cause of the crash.

Once you know the cause, you can find out how to solve it.

ok, going to download it. It went 3 days with out crashing at all and 2day so far it did it twice. Going to get that analyzer and see if we can figure out what is going on. Where do I find the Notepad file?
Forum Resident
#18 Old 4th Feb 2015 at 8:11 AM
CrashLogAnalyzer will find it by it self, unless you have changed the location for The Sims 3 folder in (My) Documents (which by the way is where that/thoose files are).
Though be aware that it's not perfect, and it'll only show general suggestions/solutions, but sometimes that can give one a hint howto look further into a issue.

I want my Space Pony title back.. why was it there such a short time..
Theorist
Original Poster
#19 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 5:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Belzader
CrashLogAnalyzer will find it by it self, unless you have changed the location for The Sims 3 folder in (My) Documents (which by the way is where that/thoose files are).
Though be aware that it's not perfect, and it'll only show general suggestions/solutions, but sometimes that can give one a hint howto look further into a issue.

Doesn't show the crashes It was doing. Only showed issues from several months ago.
Theorist
Original Poster
#21 Old 11th Apr 2015 at 7:22 PM Last edited by no.1froggie : 12th Apr 2015 at 3:07 AM.
don't understand how just typing spoiler is going to do anything so I just posted all of the deviceconfig instead. hope this helps
Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 3 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2800 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 3334 RAM: 8191 Adjusted RAM: 7679 Cores: 3
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 7 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 1
OS SP major ver: 1
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: AuthenticAMD
Brand: AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor
Family: 15
Model: 4
Cores: 3
HT: 0
x64: 0
Memory: 8191MB
Free memory: 5444MB
User: Froggie
Computer: FROGGIE-PC
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Name (database): GeForce 8300 GS [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 06e4, Board: 82661043, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: atklumdisp.dll, Version: 7.14.10.304, GUID: D7B71E3E-45A4-11CF-C372-6CA200C2CA35
Driver version: 304
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 2280MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
=== Options ===
AnimationSmoothing 1
LightingQuality 2
GeneralReflections 1
TextureQuality 2
VisualEffects 2
TerrainQuality 1
EdgeSmoothing 0
ObjectHiding 1
AspectRatio 0
ForceSquarePixels 1
SimQuality 2
TreeQuality 2
DrawDistance 2
MaxActiveLots 2
NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6
AdvancedRendering 1
AudioQuality 3
AudioOutputMode 1
VoiceLevel 255
SoundFXLevel 71
MusicLevel 255
AmbientLevel 255
FocusMute 1
VoiceMute 1
SoundFXMute 0
MusicMute 1
AmbientMute 1
EdgeScrolling 1
EdgeScrollingWarning 0
SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 1494959
SimWhileMinimized 0
TwelveHourClock 1
ShowPlacementGrid 0
AutonomyLevel 2
DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 0
PetAutonomyLevel 2
AgingInterval 3
EnableAging 1
EnableTutorial 0
EnableIntroTutorial 0
EnableTombResets 1
EnableInGameStore 1
EnableTelemetry 0
EnableMemories 1
AgingStageLengthBaby 10
AgingStageLengthToddler 10
AgingStageLengthChild 10
AgingStageLengthTeen 10
AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 30
AgingStageLengthAdult 10
AgingStageLengthElder 2
EnableInteractiveLoading 1
AgingStageLengthPuppy 2
AgingStageLengthDogAdult 2
AgingStageLengthDogElder 2
AgingStageLengthKitten 2
AgingStageLengthCatAdult 2
AgingStageLengthCatElder 2
AgingStageLengthFoal 2
AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 2
AgingStageLengthHorseElder 2
LunarCycleLength 3
LunarPhaseLength 0
EnableLunarCycle 1
EnableLunarPhase 0
EnableStoryProgression 1
EnableVampires 1
EnableWerewolves 1
EnablePets 0
EnableCelebrities 1
EnableFairies 1
EnableWitches 1
EnableHorses 1
EnableOptOutCeleb 1
ReceiveConnectTNS 1
ReceivedDevGift 0
PostFilterFlags 0
RequireLoginBeforeLoad 1
SummerLength 7
FallLength 7
WinterLength 7
SpringLength 7
SummerEnabled 1
FallEnabled 1
WinterEnabled 1
SpringEnabled 1
IsCelcius 0
FogEnabled 1
RainEnabled 1
SnowEnabled 1
HailEnabled 1
InvertHorizontalRotation 0
InvertVerticalRotation 0
VideoCaptureSize 1
VideoCaptureQuality 2
VideoCaptureSound 0
VideoCaptureTime 60
VideoCaptureHideUI 1
=== Default Options ===
AnimationSmoothing 1
LightingQuality 2
GeneralReflections 1
TextureQuality 2
VisualEffects 2
TerrainQuality 1
EdgeSmoothing 0
ObjectHiding 1
AspectRatio 0
ForceSquarePixels 1
SimQuality 2
TreeQuality 2
DrawDistance 2
MaxActiveLots 2
NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6
AdvancedRendering 1
AudioQuality 3
AudioOutputMode 1
VoiceLevel 255
SoundFXLevel 255
MusicLevel 255
AmbientLevel 255
FocusMute 1
VoiceMute 0
SoundFXMute 0
MusicMute 0
AmbientMute 0
EdgeScrolling 0
EdgeScrollingWarning 1
SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 0
SimWhileMinimized 0
TwelveHourClock 1
ShowPlacementGrid 0
AutonomyLevel 2
DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 0
PetAutonomyLevel 2
AgingInterval 2
EnableAging 1
EnableTutorial 1
EnableIntroTutorial 1
EnableTombResets 1
EnableInGameStore 1
EnableTelemetry 1
EnableMemories 1
AgingStageLengthBaby 3
AgingStageLengthToddler 7
AgingStageLengthChild 7
AgingStageLengthTeen 14
AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 21
AgingStageLengthAdult 21
AgingStageLengthElder 17
EnableInteractiveLoading 1
AgingStageLengthPuppy 0
AgingStageLengthDogAdult 0
AgingStageLengthDogElder 0
AgingStageLengthKitten 0
AgingStageLengthCatAdult 0
AgingStageLengthCatElder 0
AgingStageLengthFoal 0
AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 0
AgingStageLengthHorseElder 0
LunarCycleLength 3
LunarPhaseLength 0
EnableLunarCycle 1
EnableLunarPhase 0
EnableStoryProgression 1
EnableVampires 1
EnableWerewolves 1
EnablePets 1
EnableCelebrities 1
EnableFairies 1
EnableWitches 1
EnableHorses 1
EnableOptOutCeleb 0
ReceiveConnectTNS 1
ReceivedDevGift 0
PostFilterFlags 0
RequireLoginBeforeLoad 0
SummerLength 7
FallLength 7
WinterLength 7
SpringLength 7
SummerEnabled 1
FallEnabled 1
WinterEnabled 1
SpringEnabled 1
IsCelcius 0
FogEnabled 1
RainEnabled 1
SnowEnabled 1
HailEnabled 1
InvertHorizontalRotation 0
InvertVerticalRotation 0
VideoCaptureSize 1
VideoCaptureQuality 2
VideoCaptureSound 0
VideoCaptureTime 60
VideoCaptureHideUI 1

Also It hasn't crashed in a month so I have no idea or any new things to add to this post