Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 11:41 PM
Default Another normals problem I think
I've got a table top and the edge of it has this line in it that I can't figure out how to make go away. I think it's a normals issue. I've tried the Demon tool on it and that messed up other parts of it. I cannot figure out how to fix this. Does anyone have any advice?

Any help is appreciated
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 11:53 PM
Did you happen to weld your vertices? I just had this issue with welded vertices that after going through obj tool they would look like that, it apparently doesn't like welded vertices. I unwelded them all and the mesh was fine.

Otherwise if you haven't recompiled this in obj tool, I got a bit of a tip from Raps in chat the other day. In order to align vertices on one face, it needs to be in it's own group. Otherwise the normals don't know which way is normal and get mixed up. I haven't had a chance to test this thoroughly yet. But basically I had a four sided column that the edges wouldn't have a sharp crease. Raps said I needed to split my column up and apply the align normals to just one group, then regroup. Well that is what I got out of the conversation. Like I said I haven't had a chance to test this out in depth.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 12:35 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 11th Mar 2010 at 1:14 PM.
Thank you for the reply HL. I tried to unweld and for some reason that put a different sort of mark on the same surface. It looks almost like a wrinkle if that makes sense.

I'll try the answer Raps gave you next. Off to pull the top apart.

After a brief power outtage over here I got a chance to try Raps method and it worked

Thanks again for help.
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 2:14 PM
You can solve this with Demon his tools, just select the faces next to the seam(or the whole side)
You need to use the buttons select/faces and tick '' select by vertice'' option
Then select the whole side of the table(if it is one) wich is a bit harder as you automaticly select the top and parts of the front and back side with it, those parts you unselect so the whole side is red.
Then alligne the normals with Demon's tool(make sure autosmooth is turned off)

Selecting is done with left mouse button
Selecting diffrent parts is done while holding the shift key
unselecting is done with right mouse button(while holding the shift key)
But this you prolly know.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 2:35 PM
That makes sense Base, thanks. I did a quick test and it does work more precisely. Although the edges that I want to have a hard crease still don't get as hard a one as what Wings will do for me.

Glad that worked for you OM.
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 4:05 PM
True, Demon's is a more universal tool for noobies like me :D
Alchemist
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 11:43 PM
Actually I didn't know that Base so thank you for telling me

Perhaps the problem I had in the first place was because I wasn't selecting correctly.

Luckily for me though pulling the tabletop apart and then using the Demon tool on just the face I wanted was a matter of minutes...but next time I'll try out the selecting as you've described it. It sounds even easier and quicker.