Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 9:34 AM
Default Need Help With My Custom Shirt
Ok, so i followed the tutorial here: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...othing_Stencils

I am using paint.net and i copied the image i want over the shirt (on a new layer) and then i got it alligned and i saved as stated in the tutorial. It told me i had to flatten it to save so i did. I then made the package file and put it in my game. The shirt shows my pattern but the shirt is a light gray and it wont let me change the colour of it at all. Please help me

EDIT: I skipped over Part IV: Creating the Alpha Channel as the tutorial said it isnt needed.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 9:44 AM
Moving to Create, since your game isn't broken.

Which version of Paint.NET are you using? Can you show us the stencil texture as it is now?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 9:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Moving to Create, since your game isn't broken.

Which version of Paint.NET are you using? Can you show us the stencil texture as it is now?

its version 3.5.8

Here is what it looks like:

i converted it to a jpeg to upload it. all the white has the grey and black checkerboard design to show that its transparent
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 9:53 AM
I could also make a video recording of me making the shirt and then upload that to here. and then you could tell me what i am doing wrong if that would help
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 3:10 PM
you most likly lost the alpha layer.
I think you better create it as a stencil instead of replacing the whole shirt.

If you did make it as stencil then also check the alpha layer, you need to update it(your image white, rest black) and save it as DXT5interpolatedalpha
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 6:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
you most likly lost the alpha layer.
I think you better create it as a stencil instead of replacing the whole shirt.

If you did make it as stencil then also check the alpha layer, you need to update it(your image white, rest black) and save it as DXT5interpolatedalpha

how do i do that? the only image editing program i have is paint.net
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Mar 2011 at 7:10 PM
Here is a video showing exactly what i did inside paint.net

If i missed any thing please explain what i have to do or show me somewhere that will show me what to do. I dont really know about alpha layers and all that

http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/...ent=Example.mp4
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 11:06 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 29th Mar 2011 at 11:21 AM.
wat you did was making a new multiplier(base) texture with your image on it.
If you use this as stencil the shirt will be non recoulorble.(your texture will work as a complete overlay)

Wat you should do is position your image on the shirt, like you did on the video
Then make the area arround your image completly black
Add a alpha layer(alpha 1) and on that layer you make the area were your image is located white and the surrounding area(were the shirt was) black.
Save as dxt5withinterpolatedalpha
Then load it in the package as a stencil

You load(import) your stencil in the stencil pool tab as stencil 1
Enable it in the design tab under stencils

I am a bit confused about the tutorial as it doesn't mention deleting the original shirt, they only say to hide it.
But hiding it will not prevent you from saving it, does it?
You only need the shirt to position your stencil, you should not include it when saving the file.(same with the alpha layer that comes with it)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
wat you did was making a new multiplier(base) texture with your image on it.
If you use this as stencil the shirt will be non recoulorble.(your texture will work as a complete overlay)

Wat you should do is position your image on the shirt, like you did on the video
Then make the area arround your image completly black
Add a alpha layer(alpha 1) and on that layer you make the area were your image is located white and the surrounding area(were the shirt was) black.
Save as dxt5withinterpolatedalpha
Then load it in the package as a stencil

You load(import) your stencil in the stencil pool tab as stencil 1
Enable it in the design tab under stencils

I am a bit confused about the tutorial as it doesn't mention deleting the original shirt, they only say to hide it.
But hiding it will not prevent you from saving it, does it?
You only need the shirt to position your stencil, you should not include it when saving the file.(same with the alpha layer that comes with it)

How do i add the alpha layer? The tutorial says paint does it automatically. I havent been able to anything related to using the alpha layer.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 9:19 PM
I dont know much about paint but in PS you simply duplicate one of the other layers and rename it to alpha 1, then edit it.

A automaticly generated alpha layer is often completly white, you dont want that.
Reopen your saved DDS file and look if it now has a alpha layer, you can edit that one.
Scholar
#11 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 3:29 AM
Hi!
Try to see this video by Daluved: this is the step by step how to make a stencil. http://thesimsupply.com/showthread.php?tid=230
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 7:39 AM
I have it figured out. What i was doing wrong was i didnt delete the shirt picture when i saved the file. I found a tutorial here that explains everything you need to do. It is made just for paint.net