Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 7:32 PM
Default Question about CASP reference in Sim File
Hey Guys,

I have a question and hopefully someone can help me out.

A long time ago I found that certain package files attach to Sims directly. At first it was just non-default skins but then it started happening with makeup, accessories, hair, shoes and more: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/0...s-directly.html

Never found out a way to get rid of it until recently some of us over at the official forum discovered a new issue (well, it's old as well) where a folder icon would suddenly appear on the non-beard option for men. Digging further we found that this also only happens if you have a certain Sim in your game and looking at that with S3PE showed a UNKN resource of type DBPF with 0x00000000 as type. Exporting that and looking at it again in S3PE shows that it's a multi-piercing (there's also a creeping ivy that does it).

It's very easy to get rid of by simply deleting the resource with s3Pe.

Knowing this, I went back to the issue I had seen originally and found that those Sims that give you cc with package folders in your game all have a CASP reference in s3Pe. This only happens if you export them through the game and make a sims3pack out of it, not if you share them as .sim files (unless you export and then share the .sim file after installing it back into your game) and I now wonder if one could just remove the CASP reference like you can do with the UNKN one or if that will have bad consequences. Will any info be lost ? Is there a legit reason for a Sim to have a CASP reference ?

I also found them on households and lots (that were shared with Sims) but those never show ingame. Some lots also come with OBJ references but those never show eiter and I just don't know if they are SUPPOSED to be there or if this can lead to problems.

If anyone is interested I can link the thread at the official forum but there's a bit theorizing going on in which I simply can't believe from what I know so it's hard to know what's just fiction or what is a true issue.

Really would love to hear your opinions on this.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 1:38 AM
Well, since sims with no CC, or references to unincluded CC, don't have CASP resources in their .sim file, I wouldn't expect too much to go wrong if you got rid of it. Maybe lose the outfits that had CC in them and the face snapping back within normal parameters if it was changed with sliders?

What kind of stuff is in the CASP resource on these CC sims?

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 8:18 AM
It's mostly makeup and accessory but I've also seen shoes and hair quite a lot and the occasional clothing.
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 8:50 AM
Downloading one of these sim files to look at might help, is there one around that I don't have to log into the Exchange to get? :P

Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Apr 2014 at 1:07 PM
I can upload one and PM you the link if that would work for you or send you one via email if you're willing to PM me your email address.
Scholar
#6 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 4:59 AM
Okay, so I looked at these CC sims and their CASPs look to be just for the data for their CC items. I'd say they were copied over just the same as all the other CC resources included - BONEs, GEOMs, _IMGs and the like. Exporting a 'plain' sim only adds the TXTC resources, an XML of info about the sim (traits, favourites, skin tone, weight etc) and reconfigures the SNAP pictures in different sizes, probably for viewing on the Exchange.

As a test, I stripped off all the resources from these CC sims bar the SIME, SIMO and SNAP resources and although they had varying changes made to them when selected in CAS, they all loaded in fine and could be altered. Julie Cherry, Tabea Mockridge and Betty P reverted to a gray skintone and lost their outfit, though Betty P seemed to keep most of hers. Reggie Writin was barely affected, but then she was the only one who didn't have loads of CC resources stuck in her file, just the UNKN one.

So, I believe the only important resources are the SIME (seems to contain their name and bio, not sure what else), and SIMO (data on outfits) ones. SNAPs can probably be deleted or left alone, I expect the game will generate new ones if you try to load a .sim file with no SNAP resources.

Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 9:08 AM Last edited by crinrict : 20th Apr 2014 at 9:27 AM.
Thanks for checking

Really curious why certain cc stuff does it and why if exported as a household it does have the same CASP references but those don't show in CAS and of course if those lead to any kind of issues.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 1:10 PM Last edited by babele44 : 2nd Jun 2014 at 2:15 PM.
Ok, so resurrecting this with my recent tests in response to this thread
I downloaded 5 clothing items from the Store as individual pieces from the following sets:

Everyday - Hot Summer Days (1 female outfit, 2 male tops, Screenshot1)
Luxury Resort Attire (1 male top, Screenshot2)
Everyday Casual Chic (1 male top, Screenshot3)

1. I converted these into package files with s3rc and Sims3Pack Multi Installer and placed the resulting packages into Mods/Packages
2. I created 5 Sims that each wear one of those items and saved them into SavedSims as well as exported them individually into sims3packs, made a household for Library and exported that household as sims3pack, too
3. As expected none of the sims3packs installed through the Launcher but ended up as DCBackup files
4. To get them into your game you will either have to rename the DCBackup packages into .sim (and place the, unrenamed, household file into Library) or use MultiInstaller to extract them from the sims3pack
5. Both the DCBackup files and the MultiInstaller converted sims3packs showed the Store items embedded in S3PE I guess this was the first step to show that Store files converted into packages and placed into the Mods folder can stick to Sims if they were exported as sims3packs first. The Sims from the SavedSims bin were clean, however.

Can you reproduce this?
Screenshots