Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th May 2009 at 2:01 PM
Empty packages:What is the most efficeint way to weed out unwanted symbols and unwanted characters from downloads folders?
Is it necessary to also edit the descriptions of downloads for unwanted characters to prevent the empty packages from showing up? What is the best way to edit downloads exactly? Can I edit descriptions using S2PCI somehow? I have made 3 run throughs of downloads and still get empty packages. I have renamed my file and followed all information I have found on the forum except I have not edited descriptions.
Do quotation marks need to be deleted? How about brackets and slashmarks or asterisks? Your help will be very much appreciated. Thank yous.
Advertisement
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#2 Old 9th May 2009 at 2:29 PM
The easiest way to avoid unwanted packages is simply to delete any package with a name that consists of a long string of meaningless characters with no intelligible info. It's realy that simple. It's an add-on download. If you don't know why you added it there, it doesn't belong there.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th May 2009 at 5:02 PM
Thank you for your reply but it doesn't really answer my questions.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 13th May 2009 at 9:10 PM
Island Girl, any special characters (?'^*§° etc) can give problems - delete them from the package name
you'd better use only - and _ in addition to alphanumerical characters

I create for my amusement. I share for -I hope!- yours :)
Enjoy and ... Happy simming!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th May 2009 at 1:41 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. I have gone into my downloads folder and renamed every one that had those characters but they still show up in clean installer. I can't figure out how to edit the descriptions of the individual files. I read that those special characters in the descriptions can cause problems also. I have over 7,000 files and have gone through 4 times now. Thanks again for your help. All suggestions are much appreciated.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 15th May 2009 at 9:21 PM
Descriptions and titles are not the problem. Problem is only with the name of the file.
Rename only the files .package, all that have unwanted symbols and characters in your download folder/s.
Then, enter the game and export again your lot.
Now your lot would be ok.

Renaming package file is a big work: use the Search tool, and search &, ?,^,§,°, (it's impossible to search ' and *..do it manually)
search all german-polish-spanish characters, like č,ë,ö,õ,ü : it's important.
For example taroo (tarox4sims2) has many and many files named with ö and ü character
Also Alex Stanton names his objects (beautiful objects!!) with strange charachters. These are the two creators I remember
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th May 2009 at 11:10 AM
Black Orchid, Thanks very,very much for you reply. I have gone through all my files and fixed any names but the lot still shows the evil empty packages and error messages with clean installer. The lot just doesn't work without the custom content so I think I am trapped in limbo trying to fix it. Your suggestions are so appreciated. Thanks!
Test Subject
#8 Old 8th Jul 2009 at 12:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
The easiest way to avoid unwanted packages is simply to delete any package with a name that consists of a long string of meaningless characters with no intelligible info. It's realy that simple. It's an add-on download. If you don't know why you added it there, it doesn't belong there.

I thought the intelligible names came from using sims2pack files. I often get those and because I cannot obtain a copy of Clean Installer anymore, have been manually choosing to install sims2packs with Qxpress. After extracting the packs with the sim's 2 program version, it also always leaves a few unreadable lettered packages from the pack I unpacked [whether i use q express or sims2 to unpack the s2pack]. I assume this means that those are important files from the sim for example, that I just extracted from the pack. Is this the case?

Note, I verified this because I would let it extract to my sims downloads folder but made sure that all other files were closed in folders so that I would not confuse the new unpacked files. In my downloads folder was the stack of jumbled letters like this:

5cc4fb413d472f5661db05c626bb01a8.package
9cda0484322bb8d0e754e083affd5db6.package

Thank you for any info .