Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jan 2008 at 9:26 PM Last edited by Delphy : 10th Jan 2008 at 6:30 PM.
Default Ads, MTS2 Stats, 2008, Servers, Donation Drive and featuring a hippo in a bukkit!
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted up any tech news here on the site, although that's not to say that I am not keeping an eye on the servers and site in general. In fact, I still haven't finished off some large projects that hopefully people will like, and I'm also tweaking and optimising behind the schemes. Hopefully some of these optimisations will come online in the next week or so, and (should) improve the speed of the www servers.

So, onto the first order of business:

Ads:

You may have noticed a new "Ad Section" on the download browsing interface, as well as the download pages themselves, as well as a takeover ad. We've been running these almost a week now, and seem to have the kinks ironed out.

They hopefully aren't too intrusive, and though I know some of you won't like them, we haven't actually run ads on the site for quite some time, and have been essentially surviving on donations and leftovers from previous months, so the ads are, essentially, a long term solution for the problem of diminishing donation revenue, while still keeping the site working at it's current speed (or better).

This brings me onto the next thing to talk about:

Future status of this site:

As I mentioned in the Retirement thread, I'm stepping back from actively running MTS2, and the two other admins will be doing more of the day to day duties. MTS2 as a site won't die until it is no longer feasible to sustain the server costs for a game that really only has a couple years left in it.

Essentially what will happen is this: As the bandwidth drops off becuase less people visit, I will slowly take servers offline as needed, and gradually reduce the number down to an absolute minimum. MTS2 grew generally gracefully with a few teething issues, and so it can hopefully shrink with as little issues as possible. Rest assured that downloads and threads and everything will still continue to work for as long as possible.

Don't panic! We're not disappearing, just anticipating our response to changing needs.

Donation drive:

With regards to servers, you may recall that last year I bought new servers for the site, primarily to fix the download issues then. (How time flies...) The original thread is here http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=241617.

If you read the other thread, I stated that we wanted to do a drive for the year for one server, however, we actually got two new servers, instead of one, hence the need for semi-annual instead of annual.

To that end, we are doing the semi-annual MTS2 donation drive. The target this time is $3,887. This covers both of the 2 servers I got last time for another 6 months, and is slightly lower than the last drive becuase I got a slight discount when ordering 2 at the same time.

This may seem like a high figure, but when you consider that, on average, MTS2 servers shift a little over 21TB of data a month, and have 2000-3000 people on them at a time and approximately 30,000 average user visits a day... I think most who use the site would agree that it's worth it to keep things running.

Everybody who donates to the donation drive will get a little icon next to thier name (the little heart) and monthly donators get the faster server, the icon and the ability to turn the ads off if they want.

Site Statistics:

Just to give you all an idea of some statistics, since it's interesting to see how big the site is:

Threads: 95,348
Active Members: 673,840 (This is defined as members who have more than 0 posts and active in the last 6 months)
Members total ever: 1,646,045

Current number of download threads: 56,055
Actual number of attachments: 358,469
Size of attachments on disk: 111,940.09 MB
Total downloads: 251,079,167 (This does not include thumbnail or image views, only file downloads)
Database size: 8.3 GB

Uploads in the queue since 21st Oct 2007: 5,511
Avg Uploads per day in the moderation queue: 70.6

Total creators: 7,638 (Defined as members having 1 or more upload)
Featured creators: 286
Percentage of Featured to Normal creators: 3.7%

Total thanks, all time: 6,194,270
Thread with most thanks: Downloading for Fracking Idiots, by HystericalParoxysm
Download with most thanks: The CEP project, by Numenor

Final Thoughts:

2007 saw a fair amount of activity in the Sims community - new sites got started, others died. We had the Great Paysite Debates, and MTS2 itself underwent a number of changes: New servers, extra bukkit.. I mean bandwidth capacity, new improvements to the member profiles and download pages, as well as tools released here like wes' animation tools and the DDO. We've seen the help pages move to the Wiki as well as the tutorials section.

In 2008 we will see the last of the Sims 2 EPs: Free Time, where your hippo-looking Sims can do stuff in thier free time like go bowling or eat chocolate bears or wear gogglez zat do nothink. I know a lot of you are looking forward to another year in the community, and I also know that, for some of you, interest has waned. There are no longer any major challenges left - what comes now is more tweaking and refining and generally improving things, and we'll see this happening here on MTS2. I have only one major code project to release, and from then on you'll see small improvements, tweaks, fixes and just generally keeping your experience here as smooth as possible.

I'd like to thank everybody for participating in the site - not just those who leave comments, but those who only come here to download, but tell thier friends, and by word of mouth, quality downloads and a professional atmosphere, MTS2 has grown and hopefully will continue to do so well past the time the final EP is released.

2007 was the Year of the Creator, and 2008 is yet to be named. Our Mission Statement still stands, and we'll continue to strive to be one of the best sites in the community. So, here's to all of you - the staff, the creators, the featured artists, the downloaders, the thankers, the tireless help given in the various create and help sections, and to those who have left the community for one reason or another - I wish you all well, and hope you have a great 2008!

Edit: People who donated in the last drive wont see the banner, nor will MTS2 subscribers. If you still wish to donate you must use the donate page.

Edit: Look! Pretty graph:

Kind Regards,
Delphy

PS: This is for RGiles.

Thanks to PETCHY14 for the picture.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
58 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 8th Jan 2008 at 10:08 PM
well said my friend, well said. xD

May good fortune rule over you,
peace lie in your heart,
and the stars watch over you
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 8th Jan 2008 at 10:11 PM
I so wish I could help with this, but for me, I am in thousands of debt, if I thought I could do it, I would, this place has been the place, that keeps me playing my game, without it and you and the wonderful creators, I wouldnt want to play the game.

Its true, Sims 2, has become quite boring, I know whats going to happen, each time, but with this place and lovely creations, it brightens up the game.

Only recently did I get back into my game, and thats because of MTS2. For this I want to thank you. It had been a while and I always wanted to create something, but never got around to doing that.

I will see what I can do, perhaps, put a reminder on other sites, to help MTS2.

And with the last ever released Expansion Pack out in a matter of weeks, the last in the series of Sim Stories also weeks away and the immiment release of Sims 2 successor Sims 3, the game is certainly winding down. Its almost like the creators just dont know what to create anymore. They done it all. We finally had our weather, our vacations, walking between lots. 1 thing is missing - Apartments!

Anyway, sorry about my ramblings, its made me really sad your comments and your retirement. Once again, thank you Delphy.

Please donate if you can?
Instructor
#4 Old 8th Jan 2008 at 11:27 PM
All of this seems so sad! I remember thinking when I first got the game how there were essentially unlimited ways for creators to change and better the game. While there are still a couple things (like missaaliyah said, apartments) missing, creators have pretty much done everything there ever was to change!

I really wish I could donate, but I'm a minor and can't get a credit card, and my parents don't like the idea of Paypal. Just out of curiosity, do monthly donators that keep the ads going on their accounts generate more revenue than if they don't? I'm sure this has been asked before, but if it has, I've missed it.

Thanks for everything that you've done for this community! It's become my favorite website, and has made my game interesting for a number of years.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 12:22 AM Last edited by Pandora3co : 9th Jan 2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: had a dumb moment
Hey! Money's a bit tight after the holidays, but I'd like to pitch in a few bucks.
This site has improved the quality and enjoyment of my game so much and finally got me to download SimPE (just a few days ago) and start "messing" with it.

So... um where do I go to donate? I seem to remember a big shiny button or something you clicked on to donate during the last donation drive. Which, unless I'm having a dumb moment.. I can't seem to find.

So can someone direct me to a tutorial or something on how to donate? :D

Edit - Nevermind- found the donation page.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 12:26 AM Last edited by Corylea : 9th Jan 2008 at 12:41 AM.
I've been a monthly donator for a year and a half now*, and I must say that it's absolutely worth it! Thank you so much for all that you've done for us.

Not only does MTS2 make the game better, but it helps to restore my faith in humanity when bad news in the real world shakes it. The enormous amount of creativity on this site, the enormous amount of generosity that all of our creators show in keeping their creations free and publicly available, the huge number of people who've learned to make and do things that they never thought they could make or do, the gratitude and enthusiasm of our commenters -- all of that helps me to remember the good that humans are capable of. Yes, it's only a game. But the creativity is real, the generosity is real, the learning is real, and the enthusiasm is real, and that makes all the difference.

Thanks to everyone who's made this possible.

*My subscription page says that I stopped subscribing in 2006, but I got Paypal receipts for a donation every month in 2007. Er, you ARE getting these, aren't you?

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 12:51 AM
Before I found MTS2, I was just a weekend player. I used to build like crazy and grew tired of it. I do not remember how I found the site in November 2006, probably from the EA site, but anyway. Once I became a member and could upload houses that other players could use, and the thousands of downloads to enhance my game, I could not stop playing.

It is sad to see such a great site slowly going by the wayside. I feel that no matter how many Sims are released, MTS2 will be the best modding site there is.

The Sims 3 looks interesting and hopefully those that have created the slew of programs that make modifications of the Sims 2 accessible will continue to work towards newer ones for whatever EA throws our way.

There are more and more people coming along that are just getting into the Sims 2, not to mention all those "techies", for lack of a better word at the moment (appologies to anyone), that are beginning to create other programs.

As long as there are fans in the world of the Sims 2, fansites such MTS2 will never die. They may shrink and there might be less activity daily on them, but they will still be around.

Sometimes I wish I was good enough at modding and coding and not a full-time, in debt college student to help out more. I shall see what I can do to help out. Donation is past due from me and I know it.

Thanks to Delphy and all the other staff members that have made this site possible. I know I am not alone in saying that if MTS2 suffers, we all suffer in one way or another.

Keep Simming, no matter what
Brady

Follow the creation of new worlds, lots and objects at my new blog, UrbanSims!
~Brady
Test Subject
#8 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 1:26 AM
MTS2... I hope that 2008 is a fun filled year. It's only because of the site and the sims here that I continue playing TS2. Even though I have to keep an old PC to play, so I won't play as much, I'll still come and lurk around here... kupo!
Test Subject
#9 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 1:32 AM
where's the hippo in a "bukkit"?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 2:02 AM
so here it comes. 2nd law of thermo dynamics plays even online. the escape is becoming thing to escape. safty is betraying itself. the synonyms are becoming antonyms! i'm having way to much fun with this.

anyways, too bad. but all is within the will of God. so best wishes for the future! your all in my prayers

my personal life can be supported by veiwing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n2z-Q6x6eU and others on my youtube page. I believe there's a few building tutorials there aswell. I create rather sporadically, so excuse me if I'm gone from this website for months or years at a time.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cheapie
where's the hippo in a "bukkit"?

Yeah, we want hippos and bukkits!
Forum Resident
#12 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 2:50 AM
How sad. Just when I'm really getting the hang of creating custom content, MTS2 begins its swan song. Maxis has had a good run with Sims 2, do they really have to phase it out?

I'm no longer active here. My latest creations can be found here:

https://blueheavensims.wordpress.com
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#13 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 3:03 AM
I had money AND a paypal account this time! This site is definitely worth donating to, so enjoy my Christmas money. Keeping this site alive and running is a far better present for me. Live out your days in glory, MTS2!
Forum Resident
#14 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 3:07 AM
Delphy, you are really bad at retiring. I think you've actually been posting more since 'O8 started.
Theorist
#15 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 3:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jasonduskey
How sad. Just when I'm really getting the hang of creating custom content, MTS2 begins its swan song. Maxis has had a good run with Sims 2, do they really have to phase it out?
Well even Sims 1 has not really been phased out. The game and expansions are still readily for sale, and there are quite a few sites still supporting it with content. If you look at it that way, Sims 2 will be around for quite a few years yet.

I do not at all agree with the notion that everything has been done as far as creation goes. It is only just in the last few months that original animations have become more readily feasible, and for example only just in the last month that Sims are finally able to ride horses. From my perspective as a creator, I can see many basic and obvious things that need improvement, and whole areas of possibility that have been barely touched. But as it is for most folks, there's only so much time available to put into it.

I suspect that many creators will stop creating for the Sims 2 because the challenges and shortcoming inherent in the Sims 3 will be more interesting, and also, because the audience and the excitement will have moved on. I can see moving on for those reasons, but not because there is nothing left to do in the Sims 2 world. I also suspect that it will likely be quite some time before the new Sims 3 tools are available, so that it becomes practical for a large scale creative effort to occur.
Test Subject
#16 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 3:40 AM
Yeah come on guys! Donate! Even broke old me has thrown in 5 bucks despite my bills (lawyers are evil overcharging thugs - bitter custody battle)

We have all been saving amazing amounts of money through MTS2. Imagine how broke we would all be if our hugely oversized download folders had all been filled from paysites!

I think even the brokest of us with a credit card can let go of a few dollars to keep the site we love afloat till its time to move on.

Damn Sims 3...Im addicted all over again!
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 6:08 AM
Default Sob...sob...sob...
Thanks for everything Delphy! I did notice the ads but thought it was kind of funny!! They're OK if they'll keep things running!

Wow! I'm a slow starter. I collected all the Sims 1 eps and stuff packs but didn't play 'til Makin' Magic came out. Then I collected all the EPs and stuff packs for Sims 2 but continued playing Sims 1 'til Pets for Sims 2 came out. So I've only been playing Sims 2 for the last year and a half or so. I feel like I'm just getting the hang of it and everyone is hanging it up!!! Sniff...well, I've finally became a member a few months ago but I'm sad that things seem to be winding down! I hope it doesn't happen too quickly. I know I'll buy Sims 3 but not play it for years! I even gave my new computer to my hubby because it wouldn't play the sims and kept his old one. I know I'll hang on here as long as possible!! The creators on this site are the best and the variety is astounding!!
Test Subject
#18 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 6:10 AM
I'm so glad that this site has been around and all the people that have created the wonderful content that I have used and abused over the last few years! Ya'll are the best. I donated my $5 simoleans, plus purchased a couple of things from the MTS2 store, it's not much as I will be losing my job next month. I sure wish I could afford to be a monthly subscriber instead of just a downloader!

Anywho, thanks to all again!
Alchemist
#19 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 6:53 AM
Thanks for keeping an eye around and I want to wish you a great 2008 also!
MtS2 still has a loooong way to go! You don´t really think that TS3 will be out on time, do you? Thanks to the creativity of our friends here this game is getting better and better! And thanks also to all donators making this engine run, a good year to you!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#20 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 8:01 AM
corylea: Yup, we should still get them.

pandora: I deliberately set it so that people who donated in the last drive do not see the message this time. As you noticed though you can donate using the normal donation page.

khaki: Hey, it's my retirement, I'm allowed to post more

All: I'll try and keep MTS2 going as long as possible. The site is not dying and, as Sophie-David says, there is still a lot to do - especially in the realms of animations. I daresay we'll see things slow down somewhat, but that will make the really extraordinary breakthroughs that much more special.

Thanks to all who have donated so far! 15% overnight is very good going!

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 9:03 AM
All good things must come to an end eventually.
I finally made a donation which should have a quite a while ago. *looks down and shakes head*

Anyway people, whats to be sad about, you know there's going to be a Sims3.
EA can't just let that cash cow go by.
Lets just hope it's coded way way better and alot easier to customise right from the start, instead of having the community make modding tools for it.

I just have this horrible feeling EA is going to lie about system specs again on the box and there's going to be a flood of poeple asking why it doesn't work on thier PC?

But miracles do happen no?

You expect people to pay for those hairs?!
Field Researcher
#22 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 9:37 AM
Well, I just sent a payment, but I forgot to add my screen name for this site -- so I guess it's just an anonymous donation. :-)
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 10:14 AM
Man listen to all the doom and gloom.
The stoneage didn’t end because there were no more stones but we found something better.
We had and still have Sims 1
We have Sims 2 and MTS2
Tomorrow I believe in fall as US calls it, is Sims 3 release and I hope to see MTS3 there and that is up to us.
It’s called progress
Test Subject
#24 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 11:23 AM
Hi!
I have a paypal account an i would like to donate some money, but i don't know how to do it? Can anyone describe for me the steps, please??
Test Subject
#25 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 11:35 AM
Ok, no problem! The first time i search the link 'Make a donation', it takes me to Paypal home page and i didn´t notice anything about your site. So, i´ve tried again and i was able to make my donation.
And people, please... make your own donation. It´s a little money to us and it´s worth it. My game is full of mts2 creations.
Thanks for the site!!!
Page 1 of 6