Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 5:14 AM
Default I hate Legacy challenges! What am I doing wrong?
Okay, so I decided a legacy challenge would be fun.... but I'm only into the 3rd generation (including CAS founder) - and I'm so sick of raising babies!!!! It's almost as bad as real life! Why do people like legacies so much? Are they masochists? Or am I doing something wrong? Can somebody give me some tips on how to make a legacy challenge more fun and less drudgery?
Advertisement
#2 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 5:15 AM
I've never done one but is adoption allowed and can you adopt older kids?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 10:30 AM
I dunno if you can adopt older kids or not. But I'm working on a supernatural legacy, so I'd need to be able to adopt a vampire or ghost or plantsim. (I've already done witch, werewolf, and fairy, and I don't have Showtime or Island Paradise.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 10:53 AM
You're probably doing nothing wrong. Children are awful little shits.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Alchemist
#5 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 2:01 PM
Extend the life of other age groups until you get bored of those. In fact, I'd suggest not introducing the babies if you don't feel up to playing them; you can make up various reasons for postponing them: set yourself a financial threshold (not having kids before household has $100,000 in cash), have the sims focus on their careers, have them travel the world, have them try for baby only in specific circumstances etc. Hell, in my current game I've decided that witch sims can't try for baby unless it's the full moon, and if they don't get pregnant - tough luck, try again in six days!

A lot of my sims used to have kids as young adults, now some of them only have kids once they hit adulthood. So you can try mixing things up a bit to escape the monotony.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Site Helper
#6 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 2:23 PM
Some people love that kind of playstyle. Others, like me, should never try a legacy. (let my sim DIE!? No way!!! If I want a playable ghost, I'll marry someone from the cemetery or have a female ghost hunter try for baby with the ghost she is supposed to be exorcising. Obviously, this makes it impossible to get beyond 3 generations before the house is too full to add another baby. 2 is more often my limit. )

As far as I'm concerned, the #1 rule in any challenge is to have fun. If you don't find it fun, rewrite the rules for yourself.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#7 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 3:35 PM
I am playing a legacy, but I still don't understand the obssession with babies. The megapopular 100 babies challenge is beyond my understanding. To each their own though.
As for legacies, it is not too hard or boring to raise 2-3 sim kids per generation though. You need an heir, but you don't really need a whole bunch of spares running around.
Some say you need to have many kids per generation because there is high chance some of them will be taken by social workers and, thus, many kids per generation preven the legacy from becoming extinct. However, it is easier to focus of the kids' needs (as well as skills) if you have just a few of them, and, thus, keep the social workers away from your legacy household.
Theorist
#8 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 4:53 PM
I don't even know what a legacy is. I think it involves ageing sims, in which case count me firmly out.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 4:54 PM
Personally doing it even though I hate the baby and toddler stages. Those are the only two stages I just cannot stand, no matter how cute the two toddlers I have in my game right now are (they have 3 older brothers). So I mostly ignore them and let them do their own thing until they're completely trained up and ready to age up. Admittedly you're not supposed to do that in the challenge but I really, really hate those two stages. But I love seeing the genetics get passed down, so that's why I play them. But I'm a slow player and almost regretting making the big challenge of this legacy being immortal founders...who like to go at it unless I'm directing them to do something.

All and all, do whatever challenge you yourself like lol. I'd suggest maybe one or two children a generation if you want to try the legacy again.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 4:59 PM Last edited by SusannaG : 1st Dec 2017 at 7:51 PM.
If I'm finding the rules to any challenge a chore, rather than fun - I ignore or tweak them so that I *am* having fun. (While still trying to stay with the spirit of the thing.)
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 5:18 PM
Babies.... playwith, snuggle, feed, change diaper. Repeat.

toddlers... throw in air, feed on floor, snuggle, change outfit, change diaper, potty train. Repeat
(and kill that Imaginary Friend - you can cure vampires, but not imaginary friends. They're relentless, and you can't make them witches for fairies)

Child.... Send off to boarding school

I want a hot key that cues the routine.

Think I'll play a legacy today.
Alchemist
#12 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
(and kill that Imaginary Friend - you can cure vampires, but not imaginary friends. They're relentless, and you can't make them witches for fairies)

I don't kill them. I just make the kids give them as gifts to other children around the town.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 7:50 PM
I can them with Retuner before they're ever distributed; I loathe them. (I think the only thing from Generations that I don't like.)
Scholar
#14 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 11:21 PM
Em I the only one who likes and never bothered by imaginary friends. You can make them human which brings some pretty Unique genetics and heck they keep kids from pestering the parents all the time... Though I can't do a Legacy challenge for to long I tried. I love my cheats to much and I cannot STAND the baby stage. I age my babies up to kids asap, (toddlers are great but to needy).

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 11:39 PM
So...what are these imaginary friends? Are they like my totally real, Canadian girlfriend?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#16 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 12:49 AM
I'm playing a legacy challenge in Deery Meadows and just got another new arrival in town in today's session because their latest fall supply shipment arrived and she was on the ship sailing over in the fall of 1623.I won't allow most of the residents to start having babies until they're adults unless they had a birth control mishap and it failed to stop the pregnancy.I can get children taken away by the social workers though mine would just end up in the social workers household and eventually in another family or the playable orphanage.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
You're probably doing nothing wrong. Children are awful little shits.

In my experience, this observation is not limited to any specific age groups.

Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
toddlers... throw in air (...)

You do know that you're supposed to catch them and not just walk away, right?

I've never had any interest in playing a formal challenge. Although I do play legacy style and love the (very slowly) passing of generations, I make up my own "rules" as I go along. But I do have to say that forcing oneself to concentrate on portions of the game that aren't being found enjoyable (raising kids) does seem like it would make the game much less fun. If I hated dogs, which I certainly do not, I wouldn't have any interest in forcing myself to run a puppy breeding and dog training business either...just some random thoughts in passing. There is far too much that is entertaining to do in this game than to spend time on the aspects we don't like very much.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 8:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrowningFishy
Em I the only one who likes and never bothered by imaginary friends. You can make them human which brings some pretty Unique genetics and heck they keep kids from pestering the parents all the time... Though I can't do a Legacy challenge for to long I tried. I love my cheats to much and I cannot STAND the baby stage. I age my babies up to kids asap, (toddlers are great but to needy).

Gotta agree with you! I finally managed to turn one real after, erm, "finding" a rainbow stone. Then I aged her and the kid up into teens so she got a quick makeover lol. She has some hair that reminds me of my first family when playing the sims 3 back when all I had was base game and late night. She turned out to be a little rebel though, hence the outfit. I also found her the best sim to use for some of the weirder makeup I have.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 8:59 PM
I have a mod that let's me sell them, so when they don't fit with the child, I get rid of them. Some children seem to need/want one though. I had an alien child that I imagined being bullied for being alien, so I thought she would have this friend. She turned out to be a lesbian, fell in love with it/her, then went to university, met the love of her life, came back and the imaginary friend was devastated and moved out the next day. She went to marry some idiot who kept cheating on her but she had a few beautiful blue-haired children that I use in some of my other worlds.
I once had twins who didn't like each other, so I had one of them keep the doll and then the friend. One of the twins grew up a loner, the other has friends and is rather outgoing. Guess which one is the loner?
So, I think they provide interesting story possibilities.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 12:29 AM
I love to play legacy style and did a sims 3 family for 34 generations. I ran 2 parallel lines and almost always each had just one child. Only a few times a couple had 2. I set goals for each generation. I did extensive excel tracking to check that I played all traits, careers, explored all tombs, collected everything, etc, etc, etc. I loved watching the genetics. The main thing is do it as you want to do it. It is your game and make it so that it is fun for you to play. My legacy was more generational and accomplishment oriented and only some rules were used. If it is not something you like, you will not stick with it. I did this and built hundreds of lots and made worlds. So if playing just the family and not doing all the other things probably would have done many more generations.

When I play sims I always play one family at a time. I never have played a rotational game. I stick with the one household generally. Even though I have switched to playing several households in 4 and stopped that legacy at generation 6, I still play only play one at a time.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 4:54 PM
Mods and custom content for the win

In particular with the baby stage, get some of the baby furniture that helps keep their motives up better. I recommend Around the Sims - the whole site has a better sense of style than the store items and will link to the proper files when needed. Definitely get a changing table- you can change diapers at it and get the baby's/toddler's bladder bar back up when you want instead of having to wait for them to go in their diapers.

My other tip for babies and toddlers is to keep your families small so all of the generations can live in the same house. Elders teach toddlers their walking/talking/potty training skills noticeably faster and I think they read the toddler books faster as well. That will get the toddlers to the point where they can play on their own for the majority of the day faster.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 3:55 AM
I always kept my generations in the same house also. I was usually at an 8 sims household. An elder had to pass away before the youngest could find a spouse and then when the next elder passed the first child was born.