Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2012 at 10:46 PM
Default Questions Concerning the DCBackup Folder
Ive been using S3PE to create combined .package files in an attempt to improve the load times and overall performance of my game (which has been a success so far!). My question concerns the DC backup Folder which apparently contains the .package files from the .Sim3packs I've installed. Do these .package files affect the game at all or are the truly just backups? Should I combine them or just leave them as is? Can they be removed (I would save them to my external drive)?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 17th May 2012 at 2:58 AM
DC back up folders contents can be deleted, unless you want to convert them to package files. I delete the contents from there everytime I download sims3packs.
Scholar
#3 Old 17th May 2012 at 3:35 AM
if you have premium content from the store....there is a file in there called ccmerged...that file must be kept for those items to work properly
Forum Resident
#4 Old 17th May 2012 at 7:23 AM
DCBackup's main purpose is:
If you make a sim/house and use installed cc (this incluse store items) and then export as sims3pack it will use this folder to attach the item.
So if you never plan on share/upload any stuff you made, all files except like jenieusa said the ccmerged can be safely deleted, you will not have any problem with using your exported sims3packs as long item/s is still installed in game.
Also i don't think they affect game in anyway, i just delete them because of the space on my HDD..

And Simsdestroyer:
They are .package files so no need to convert them, they can be placed in mods folder as they are, just that there names is just number so idea what to know what is what, without taking a peek at them with any program that can open package files.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th May 2012 at 10:59 PM
Thank you all for the information. It's pretty much what I suspected.

@Belzader: It took me awhile before I caught on to the fact that the DCBackup Folder contained the .package files for the Sim3packs. Once I did, I began to label them with the Sim3pack file name. I'll still have to open each .package file to determine exactly what's in them if I ever want to use them in place of the Sim3packs, but at least I'll know what Sim3pack they came with.

It's good to know that I can remove them from my hard drive without affecting my game! Thanks again to all for the information!!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 10th Nov 2014 at 6:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jenieusa
if you have premium content from the store....there is a file in there called ccmerged...that file must be kept for those items to work properly

I see all over the internet that people recommend deleting everything in DCbackup but only some people clarify that with "accept the ccmerged file. I'm afraid to try either thing since no one gives the same information!
Scholar
#7 Old 10th Nov 2014 at 6:43 PM
I don't advise you deleting this folder, as it may contain information about store worlds (as I've been told) and it might make them corrupt.
Theorist
#8 Old 10th Nov 2014 at 6:54 PM
I always empty out my DCBackup folder specially after installing S3P's. I didn't know about the ccmerged file. Thanks! I will forever keep that in there.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#9 Old 10th Nov 2014 at 8:44 PM Last edited by GreenCats : 10th Nov 2014 at 8:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Thnkr0917
I see all over the internet that people recommend deleting everything in DCbackup but only some people clarify that with "accept the ccmerged file. I'm afraid to try either thing since no one gives the same information!

Perhaps the posts saying to delete everything are outdated. The ccmerged file was only introduced when the store started pushing out premium content, which was a while after the game launched.

Do not delete your ccmerged file. In fact I would recommend keeping a backup of it, as it sometimes get corrupted, which (without a recent backup) would mean you'd have to re-install all your premium content.

Everything else in the DCbackup folder can be deleted without causing problems with gameplay. However, if you have CAP patterns or CC installed as a simspack that you would like to transfer with sims or builds you are exporting, deleting the files in the DCbackup will prevent them from attaching, so you may wish to keep them. (This does not affect store content, as that can't get attached to uploads anyway - just CAP and 3rd party CC installed as a simspack.)
Still, you may prefer just to go ahead and delete, and then to include information with your sim or build about where people can acquire the CAP/CC you have used. That way you are respecting creators' TOS, as some people don't like having their work distributed outside of their site by it getting attached to exported sims and builds. (Disclaimer: always be sure to scan your exports with Custard for sneaky CC, even if you only have simspack stuff and have cleared out your DCbackup.)

I have 5GB of store content and I don't like the idea of an unnecessarily duplicated version of all that sitting about in my game files taking up space, so I always clear mine out, except for the ccmerged file obviously.