Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: How much do you spend on clothes?
Not that much
25 60.98%
Moderate amount
10 24.39%
A lot, or more than I should
6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 8:38 PM
Default How much money do you spend on clothes?
Title is self explanatory.

As for myself, I try to spend as little as possible. My family is pretty spend happy when it comes to clothes, but I still like to buy as cheap as I can. I don't care much for brand names, and try to limit myself to $50-100 every time I go clothes shopping excluding shoes and coats/jackets (they need to last long, so quality is essential for me). When I'm in a store I usually head straight for the clearance section lol. You can still look good/have some style and be cheap! ;D

What about you? How much do you spend on clothes? Do you buy expensive brands etc?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 9:12 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Dec 2014 at 9:28 PM.
Very little. Probably even less than I 'should'. I've always hated shopping for clothes, and only buy new stuff when I really need it.

I don't care for brands - except for shoes. They need to be good and long-lasting, so that's probably the most expesive I have, since I've learned to take care of my feet. If the shoes aren't comfy, I won't willingly wear them (at least not for long).

I still wear clothes that I know I bought in 2007 and perhaps even earlier, I've inherited socks from my brother all through childhood (still have some of them, and a few are the best I've got), and most of my clohes last until it's worn thin, quite literally. I just don't see the point of having a whole bunch of clothes that you're hardly going to wear anyway. And when the clothes are too worn to be used in public, I use them at home, until they're beyond repairing (I used to patch them up so they would last longer, but nowadays I just shove them into a corner of my closet when they reach that stage of badly needing repair, until I've gathered enough courage to bin them).

I could probably afford buying clothes more often, but most of the time when I actually am looking for something new I hate the choice of that season's clothes. If I'm lucky I end up finding perhaps 2-4 pieces of clothing, and don't buy anything more in several months. Like I said, I hate shopping for clothes.

Back when I was younger, I was a complete nightmare every time I had to get something new. I'm a little more patient nowadays, and can go willingly into the shops as long as the shopping round is kept somewhat short, but like I said above, it's not my favorite thing. I don't think I buy clothes more than a few times a year, and I don't spend a lot on it. I don't care for brands, as long as it's okay quality and can withstand some hundred rounds in a washing machine. The shops you're most likely to find me in don't usually have much in the selection of clothes, accessories, makeup or perfume.

If there's one place I do spend my money, it's on books. Wouldn't be surprised if I've got more books than individual pieces of clothing, perhaps even if you count socks as two pieces...
Scholar
#3 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 9:59 PM
I buy most of my clothes (with the exception of underwear and socks, obviously) at thrift stores. I'll buy something new on occasion but it's almost always on clearance. I just bought three super cute dresses from Kohl's. The cheapest was $14 and it was about $80 originally and the most expensive was $35 and was $180 originally. I refuse to pay retail on most things.

The same goes for shoes. I'm not above second hand shoes. Just disinfect those mofos and you got some pumped up kicks. :3

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Instructor
#4 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 10:42 PM
I'm one of those people who will go out and blow off a bunch of money on clothes to cheer themselves up. Or maybe that's just me?
I love shopping. I think my problem stems from when I had a bad case of penis envy when I hit 11 or 12. While all my friends were shopping and beginning to find their young & womanly selves, I was a little...er, behind. I don't know what happened, but going into 8th grade I grew into the girl I am now. I. Love. Clothes. I think the most I spend money on is with shoes. I have 30+ pairs of shoes, (I've had maybe 15 of them since 7th grade though; my feet have stayed the same size for 6 years now.)

The only time I'll shop full-price however is when I have a gift card. Otherwise, expect me to head straight to the clearance racks when I step in anywhere. I won't even take a glance at the full priced things, unless my mom is buying me something I need such as a fancy dress for an event or new jeans.

If I like what I see, it becomes mine. :lovestruc
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 11:00 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 17th Dec 2014 at 12:26 AM.
I never understood the shoe thing. I've got about 4 pairs I use 95% of the time I wear shoes, split between seasons (sneakers in summer, rain boots if it's too wet, and two for winter, one of which I just got since my old ones are probably 6 or so years old and the ), and a few for various things, like indoor shoes for work/school, and perhaps 2 pairs of nicer shoes for any occasions where sneakers or winter shoes aren't appropriate foot wear. I wouldn't even know what to do with the rest of the shoes... It's the same with outdoor jackets. I've got 5 that I use, and that's it (rain, winter, a nice coat for formal non-rainy occasions, and two for summer/spring/autumn - one of them belonged to mom. Most of them are at least 3-6 years old).

For everyday wear I've got several zip jackets with hoodies, jeans in a few different colors, tees in a few different colors, and a few random items of clothing that are not much in use, in addition to a few party outfits. I don't mind wearing the same dress over and over again for parties, and last year I found one I really like that works for most somewhat formal occasions. They're all collected over the years, so it's not like my wardrobe changes much. I know I should grow out of the zip jackets soon, since I'm closing in on 30, but I find it a bit difficult. They're so comfy! For home wear I have various tees, mostly free ones that I've collected over the years (the kind you get at stands and such), and a few jogging pants. I like to keep things simple.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 11:10 PM
Not that much overall, but per item, quite a bit. I find it a pretty solid philosophy that "looking GOOD every day is more important than looking DIFFERENT every day," so I spend good money on quality items that will last a while and that I can get lots of different uses out of- and that even includes things like suits- you'd be surprised how much variety there is to be had out of a single three-piece suit! Thus, I have a pretty small wardrobe, but what clothes I have do look good!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 16th Dec 2014 at 11:22 PM Last edited by Bigsimsfan12 : 16th Dec 2014 at 11:37 PM.
I rarely buy clothes. I already own too many. I haven't grown since I was about 12, so all my teenage clothes still fit me and I still own the ones that aren't too 'emoy' (I had an emo phase when I was 12-14 years old) but a lot of them got sent to the charity shop or given to my older sister when I moved to University. I don't really buy any clothes (other than underwear and socks) brand new anymore, unless I get something from Comic-con or a Gig to remember the event, and every month Lootcrate sends me a tshirt - but I usually wear them once and then my boyfriend steals them because technically we share them and they're usually kinda tight around my chest. I get a lot of stuff from charity shops now I live in a small town, because there's just so many charity shops... they're everywhere. Even then, I've only bought 1 tshirt, 2 jumpers and a dress from charity shops. My friend recently gave me some clothes she had grown out of because I realized I need some more mature-looking clothes (I own a lot of band t-shirts, comic-book t-shirts and such) so I now have a large collection of blouses, pencil skirts and one really nice dress that I'm considering wearing at Christmas instead of the red one I bought at the charity shop.

From what I know, everyones buying me clothes for Christmas this year... no idea why. The Breaking Bad t-shirt I'm wearing right now was an early Christmas present from my friend.

Edit: In regards to shoes, I only find Converse comfortable. So I have a pair of red low-tops and those are the only shoes I wear at the moment (I also own 2 pairs of shoes for cosplaying, and 1 pair of dress shoes for job interviews). I know I have more somewhere... I remember bringing low-top denim ones, as well as mint-coloured ones to Wales with me but for the life of me I have no idea what I've done with them. Also I have a pair of black high-tops that were bought for me last Christmas, but they're size 8 so they're waaaay too big. I bought myself a pair of Oxfords for Christmas, but they haven't come in the post yet.

For coats/jackets: I own 1 grey zip-up hoodie I wear most of the time, which is slowly being replaced by My AU (my uni) baseball jacket but it doesn't have a hood (I live in Wales so hoods are important) and I own a burgundy coat I got for my 18th birthday. I also own a short-sleeve powder-blue zip-up hoodie for the summer - but it rained all last summer so I haven't worn it in a while. My friend gave me one of her coats because she no longer fits it, but I can't remember where I put it.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Inventor
#8 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
I rarely buy clothes ...
In regards to shoes, I only find Converse comfortable ...
I own 1 grey zip-up hoodie I wear most of the time.

Seriously, are you sure we're not just like, the same person and we just have extreme split-personality disorder
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperSimoholic
Seriously, are you sure we're not just like, the same person and we just have extreme split-personality disorder

We could be It's rare to meet people who actually think converse are comfy. I always get "are your feet not hurting in those?"

Scholar
#10 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 2:02 AM
I kind of hate buying clothes, I'd much rather spend money on books, like simmer 22.

This past summer I did cave and spent a lot of money (for me, anyway) on pants because I'd had the same ones for four years and they hadn't fit for most of that. But other than that I get just about everything at the thrift shop or sometimes Walmart.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
#11 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 6:02 AM
I have animosity towards the situation as I am currently at 255 lbs., which is what is on my ID when it was issued 3 years ago.
I'm not crazy fat, but I am dense in build so I'm still in that situation of "I am fat". So, it is a matter of working with the many curves.
I'm a XXL and I enjoy when I do find clothes in my size. However, the occurrences of that happening are far and few in between.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#12 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 6:32 AM
Don't like to shop; HATE those mirrors (OMG is THAT my butt?!). Now that I'm not working, I usually buy just what's comfortable. Especially now that winter is here, I'm happy in heavy sweats. About once a year I buy basically everything because everything is looking worn/trashy. So I buy lots of interchangeable stuff. So now I have greens/browns/yellow and getting sick of looking like a tree. Guess if I shopped a bit all year I wouldn't have to buy everything at once. All my underwear is..unmentionable. I've managed to wear slippers and "good shoes" in the mud so my 4 pair of shoes all look like crap and my feet hurt. Buying bigger sizes...sob.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Instructor
#13 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 7:46 AM
I don't like to shop with people, I hate to be dragged into stores when I don't want to or stay too much somewhere because someone has to try something on.
Clothing shopping is a solitary and quick task for me. Usually I already know what I am going to buy before I enter a shop, I'm not much of a browser.
I have dropped big money on designer items in the past, and I still like to sometimes. I would rather save up for some nice, classic, designer item than buying huge amounts of horrible quality H&M clothes. The composition tag inside the garment is extremely important to me too, I only buy stuff that is at least 95% natural fabrics.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 8:24 AM
If I had my way, I'd have a wardrobe made up mainly of dark gloomy colors. Since I don't have my way there, and I still fit into most of my preppy high school clothes, I don't really spend that much. Why waste perfectly good clothes even if they don't fit my sense of style?

Avatar model: Shi Gaik Lan / Atroxia "Jade Orchid" Lion (Source: Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires).
The Four Stars (Table of Content)
Mekageddon, the Interactive Story. (Remake Discussion) (Dev Tumblr)
Alchemist
#15 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 8:29 AM
If I didn't hate shopping so much, I probably would spend more on clothes. Also if I had more to spend on clothes.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Alchemist
#16 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 8:42 AM
I have probably ten articles of clothing. Half of those are plain gray t-shirts. Three pairs of shoes: two pairs of nice boots for when I leave the house, one pair of flip-flops that must be at least five years old by now, for going in the garage and backyard. The only thing I have a lot of? Socks. I think I have... 13 pairs? I don't even know why.

So my answer is: not that much. Because I hardly spend anything at all. T-shirts and jeans, all year round, thanks. I don't even own a jacket.

Did I mention I've been wearing this same kind of wardrobe since I was 11? 'Cause... you know, I have.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 5:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gabrymato
I don't like to shop with people, I hate to be dragged into stores when I don't want to or stay too much somewhere because someone has to try something on.

My friend is the worst person to shop with. She goes into shops like 'New Look' where people seem to look down their spray-tan and foundation covered noses at me, and as if that's not bad enough, she spends at least an hour looking at stuff and picking stuff out, and then she buys it, only to return it again the next week and bring me with her again. She only brings me because I'm so painfully blunt and will tell her if she looks stupid. Maybe I should be less blunt. I hate that shop so much though, everything is beige and all the girls in it have these big black chunky eyebrows and orange faces.

Theorist
#18 Old 17th Dec 2014 at 5:31 PM
It really depends on the day. I can go a couple of months without buying any clothing, but when I feel the need to add a few things to my wardrobe...I do so. Usually, spending a few hundred dollars at a time. Though, typically I spend more money on my shoes (heels and fashion boots) than the clothing itself. Like most people, I enjoy a good sale, but that's not a deal breaker for me. If I want a particular item, I'm willing to pay the full price.

My style of dress is dressy-casual...so I buy a lot of dresses, skirts, cardigans/sweaters, dress tops and such. I loathe pants (with the exception of workout wear), and only own two pairs of jeans...for those moments when it's necessary to be really casual.

Athletic/workout wear is also something I don't mind spending more money on (both pairs of my running shoes were more than $150 each), if the quality is nice.

Overall, I'm fortunate enough to not have any set rules (when or how much I can spend) for shopping, but I'm not an impulsive shopper either.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Test Subject
#19 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 12:12 AM
Not much.
I mostly buy second hand clothes, partly due to wanting to spend money on more fun things like GAMES, partly because it seems more ethical, but mostly because the material has been worn in and washed enough to it's soft and the tags aren't so scratchy..
Scholar
#20 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 2:19 AM
I don't always buy stuff, but when I do its because I need it (and want it). I spend most on shoes and jeans, but its for their quality and fit. Again, this is if I actually buy anything. Most of my clothes have been brought over the years, so I guess its gradual spending. Hmm last year I had to buy a bunch of clothes because 6th form just had to be non uniform!
Theorist
#21 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 2:35 AM
I mostly just wear the skins of bankers I've killed and eaten, power ties wrapped around my forehead like badass Rambo shit.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 2:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Very little. Probably even less than I 'should'. I've always hated shopping for clothes, and only buy new stuff when I really need it.

Same here. It's rare for me to go shopping, period, even for groceries, as my mom does the grocery shopping in our household.

For clothes, it's normally zero a month. I usually only buy clothes once or twice a year, and only what I need. I go to this secondhand place that's really cool. I'm always bound to get something there - I usually spend anywhere from $4.00 - $20.00 depending on what I get and how much I buy.

Once a year I go shopping with a friend, and sometimes I usually end up buying something (new) for two reasons - it's nice and I want it and she thinks I look good in it, and also she doesn't like to buy stuff alone (be the only one spending money). This is always one item and is usually $20 - $30. And it's usually a dress.
#23 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 3:37 PM
I don't go shopping much, but when I do, I only get what I know I really need. Saves a lot of money.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Beautiful Dinosaur
#24 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 6:50 PM
The only things I will buy new are underwear and (sometimes) shoes. My winter coat is 20 years old and still going! There are 7 charity/secondhand/vintage shops within twenty minutes walk of my flat and pretty much everything I need comes from them. The last item I bought new (not including my wedding dress in August) was, err, I actually cannot remember! Oh, maybe a pair of jeans from eBay that were £18.99 instead of the £50odd that they would have been in the high street store that they were branded (I actually ordered a second pair once the first had arrived because they fit so perfectly and jeans are a nightmare for me!).

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Instructor
#25 Old 22nd Dec 2014 at 12:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
My friend is the worst person to shop with. She goes into shops like 'New Look' where people seem to look down their spray-tan and foundation covered noses at me, and as if that's not bad enough, she spends at least an hour looking at stuff and picking stuff out, and then she buys it, only to return it again the next week and bring me with her again. She only brings me because I'm so painfully blunt and will tell her if she looks stupid. Maybe I should be less blunt. I hate that shop so much though, everything is beige and all the girls in it have these big black chunky eyebrows and orange faces.

Right? I don't understand people that buy things like that, just for the purpose of buying. You either need it / want it or you don't. What's the point of going into a store without any clue of what you might be looking for, trying/buying a thing out of boredom and then never wear it or return it? It's just plain consumerism at its best.
I think everyone is entitled to spend their own money whichever way they want to, but Jesus Christ, at least buy something you actually like, not something to aimlessly fill up your closet!

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Page 1 of 2