Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 7:00 AM
Default Sims 3 series and why most lack creativity
Recently I got interested in doing a sims 3 series for myself so i started watching these series others post online. What bothers me is that almost every series that i watched had the same "wake up and go to school" sort of thing. News flash, school isnt interesting . My only question is why is this the most popular story type? P.s sorry for affending anyone who does these series.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 9:33 AM
I think that it is actually the hardest thing to create a "start" for a story and if the story is focusing on young people then it is natural for them to be and meet new people at school. But I understand that it can be boring to see it all over again in each story...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 10:37 AM
I guess you'd better start your own series with a more interesting starting point.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 4:39 PM
I"ll post a link for a teaser trailer when im ready
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 3:12 AM
hmmm this is harder than i thought >.> give me another like month or something for the teaser XD
Scholar
#6 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 6:05 PM
Well, some people are funnier than others, but the core of the game will still be a simulation of everyday life. Short of playing without any kids and motherloding all the way through, stuff like going to work and kids going to school will still be involved. For me it's what happens the rest of the time that makes stuff fun to watch (or not).

I'd reccommend a few LP-ers I like, but they're all doing it in German, so probably it wouldn't help most people here.
Test Subject
#8 Old 8th Feb 2016 at 12:17 AM
I guess some people were trying to do the whole "ANON" series from Diamondxx off of youtube, but I believe she inspired other people to create their own sims 3 series like me.

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Check out my videos. Why Don't You? PM for Link :)
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 11th Feb 2016 at 9:17 PM
Yeah I definitely think Diamonddx set the bar for Sims 3 series. To be honest, they'rre a lot more easier to produce than sims 2 series, though I hate watching sims 3 series. Before Diamond, sims 3 series were few and far between.
Test Subject
#10 Old 30th Mar 2016 at 2:13 AM
Because most Sims 3 series are teen stories. Teen dramas, teen romances, supernatural teens. So of course they're gonna be going to high school. I think it's the easiest setup to let you know who the character is in a quick way. Oh, this is where I live and these are my parents, this is my school, these are my friends, this is the guy I have a crush on etc.

I find that a lot of them are the same story being recycled over and over again. I've never really watched any Sims 3 series but I remember that my favorite series from the Sims 2 was called Superstar or something like that.
Test Subject
#11 Old 13th Apr 2016 at 6:22 AM
Agreed, a few is fine but when every-other series out there share the same concept it gets annoying.
Test Subject
#12 Old 31st May 2016 at 2:33 AM
Yes, I don't get it. I spend hours on my series and then I go on youtube and check out other peoples' creations, and it's completely half-a$$ed. I don't mean to be negative but you can tell some of them don't put any work in their work whatsoever. Yet then they end up having so many views. It's always the hidden gems that stay undiscovered.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 31st May 2016 at 2:50 AM
There's a good reason most good stories and movies don't have characters doing mundane things unless they want to use the mention of the mundane things to underline a story plot.

I do agree that the whole high-school drama thing is getting a little out of hand. There's only so many times you can be bothered to hear the same story repeated over and over again. Of course, if adding an unexpected twist to the story is your goal, then sure. But if it's the same drame between cheerleader/jocks/nerds, or other much repeated stereotypes, doing stereothypical things, and getting into stereothypical problems with sterepothypical solutions we've seen endless versions of in TV-series and the like, then sure, it will get boring quickly. Add in vampires, and you've got yourself a Buffy wannabe, or even a worse-than-original Twiliight wannabe (if that's even possible).

It's fully possible to make good teen-centered stories. I've seen or read good ones I enjoyed. The most interesting stories are those that go in a direction you didn't see coming, and somehow manage to make a good story out of it all. Sometimes you just need a good enough plot twist that puts everything on its head.
Test Subject
#14 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 3:59 PM
Of course most people will do a school storyline, since most of the people creating these are in school or probably just like high school dramas :D
It's also kinda hard to make it "action-packed" or anything like that.. I mean unless you're doing something with Supernaturals (at least for me, maybe it's different for other people)..
I'm also working on a series myself right now (not in a school setting tho) and I hope it's not gonna be too boring to watch, but lots of scenes like school scenes are just there to build characters or introduce viewers into the story..

EDIT: sorry if this reply seems a little late, i only just noticed that a lot of threads here are very old :o