Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 12:27 AM
Default Need a name for my hotel
I don't normally have an issue naming my lots, but I built this for the recent Monopoly contest and can't think up anything decent. Still have to test it out but if I can't think up a better name, 'The Mediterranean" will be it. Suggestions?

Post 3, last lot on my score board '3 flamingos' http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=569352

Also I'm not sure about the fence at the front.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 12:45 AM
The whites and blues certainly give it a little bit something of a Mediterranean feel, particularly the eastern Mediterranean... if you're not happy with that as a name, why not look at Grecian inspiration? "The Athenian," "The Ægean," or "The Peloponnesian" all seem like hotel names you might find somewhere...

And to the fence, I personally don't like it- I'd opt for a half-wall with a blue top, painted the same white as the building, and using diagonals to soften its lines a little bit... but that's me.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 1:06 AM
A half wall! *slaps forehead* I don't know why I didn't think of that. I think I had had enough of building and wanted it finished for the contest but knew I wasn't happy with the fence. Thanks for the name suggestions as well. You always have great ideas Zar.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 10:49 AM
Blue and white always makes me think of Santorini:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...AUIBigB&dpr=0.9

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#5 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 9:54 PM
I have to agree with Maxon about the isle of Santorini, although another part of Greece that it reminds me of is Chora on the isle of Naxos. So I definitely think the name should be Greek themed with that wonderful exterior. Although having said that, the first place I thought of when I saw the front courtyard with the blue and white colour scheme was Gandhi Smriti (Birla House) in New Delhi, India:
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 2:26 AM
Thanks you both have some good ideas. My hotel is most definitely Mediterranean not Indian though.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#7 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 8:17 AM
I am thinking more French than Greek when I see the fasade, due to the windows. The colors are definitely Greek, but Santorini has more square like and less Victorian windows. I could see this (lovely hotel btw!) placed in Southern France or something. Maybe it can be called something with the hotels colors, like Bleu or Blanc.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 2:58 PM
Hotels are named after what attracts the tourists. I just came from the Gulf coast, where everything is called "Sea Breeze" and "Pelican Rest" and "Marlin Harbor" - because people are going to the coast to loll on the beach, birdwatch, sail, and/or go fishing.

So what do you envision the tourists who stay at this hotel will be doing with their days?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 8:09 AM
Did you check out the link to the contest? It's a hotel meant as a child free, adult getaway. Greek and surrounds was what I was going for but maxis content only allows so much. There is no cc and I won't be adding any. The hotel has a small gym, massage room, sauna, pool and spa. All the rooms are in very bright meditation colour paletts.

Anyway I have a lot of chairs to rearrange since most my testers could not use the majority of them. The place did not have to be functional for the contest and I placed most of them with the quarter tile cheat without being careful.

Anyone think any other maxis windows are more Greek?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 10:24 AM
Keep your name I think it works - and any player can change it in his/her game if they want to.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 11:47 PM
Here it is with a wall

I changed the shape since I didn't like how i had the fence line.

I didn't actually have a name that was the thing. That was just a description like 'starter lot' I am thinking of going with maxon's suggestion of Santorini. I did think of just calling it 'The Mediterranean' but there is actually a hotel chain with that name.

~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#12 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 10:57 AM
The half wall works really well, Jo.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Inventor
#13 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 1:10 PM
Yes, the half walls make it more Greek than French I think. Have you tried with just an archway instead of the entrance door? Might look nice and more Mediterranean
Mad Poster
#14 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 8:48 PM
Too bad it's not French or Corsican. Then you could call it Bonaparte's Retreat.

Greek, huh. Oedipus Rests. No, that's not going to draw customers. Odyssesus's Rest. Lotus Eater Resort.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 27th Apr 2016 at 11:47 PM
Why does that sound like a brothel to me.... I was thinking restful pampering weekend, now I am thinking dirty weekends, thanks Peni!

malfoya, an archway? Would that work with a hotel? I was thinking of putting an archway there in the gap of the wall.

Karen, I am much happier with the wall, don't know why i didn't think of it.

~Call me Jo~