Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th May 2015 at 12:11 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How to completely go back to default sims 2?
The title is confusing but I don't know how to put it into words...I want to revert to the sims 2 (the version I had when I first installed, before I even played). I want to go back to the version without all the mods I added in and also without the templates I placed in. I uninstalled my game hoping it'd give me a fresh new start when I reinstalled just to find out that all it did was take me back to the custom neighborhood I had before. I don't have any of the Maxis neighborhood templates from the game because I replaced them with Tarlia's templates (For her fixed neighborhoods.) But I just want to go back to sims without custom content now and I can't because the Maxis neighborhoods are missing from the menu. Please help me. Help is very appreciated.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th May 2015 at 12:58 AM
Unless you changed game files (on the C Drive or wherever you have the game installed), all you need to do is delete the Sims folder in My Documents. The game will, obligingly, just make you a new one, copied fresh from the game folders.

The templates you installed (in the actual game files, yes?) should have been deleted when you uninstalled. Otherwise, you have to uninstall them manually. In fact, reinstalling should have replaced the folders in My Documents too - are you certain you uninstalled the game or was it something else you did?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th May 2015 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Unless you changed game files (on the C Drive or wherever you have the game installed), all you need to do is delete the Sims folder in My Documents. The game will, obligingly, just make you a new one, copied fresh from the game folders.

The templates you installed (in the actual game files, yes?) should have been deleted when you uninstalled. Otherwise, you have to uninstall them manually. In fact, reinstalling should have replaced the folders in My Documents too - are you certain you uninstalled the game or was it something else you did?

I had uninstalled through a program called revo uninstaller, which allows me to completely uninstall the game and also rid of the leftover files in the registry. Nothing was left, and when I reinstalled the game, it led me back to my old custom content built town. Its as nothing really made a difference...I even still have all my old downloads which I was trying to get rid of as well.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th May 2015 at 2:08 AM
Never heard of that program. but it doesn't seem to have worked the way it said it would. Simply going to uninstalling programs would be better. Uninstalling should have wiped your custom hood away.

However as maxon said, you don't have to uninstall and reinstall to go back to fresh unplayed vanilla. You can delete the Sims 2 folder or you can rename it, just in case you want your old game back for some reason. The sims 2 folder you don't want the game to read you can call "Sims 2 old" then the game will make you a fresh one. I have 3 separate Sims 2 folders for different game styles. The game can only read the folder called "The Sims 2" it ignores the others.

Only ever uninstall if you are moving to a new computer or your installation files are corrupted. There is a way to do everything without all that unnecessary work.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th May 2015 at 2:11 AM
Oh! I tried deleting the sims folder in my documents just like you said and it worked. Now what I'm hoping for is that I'm using maxis original templates for the town and not tarlias. Hers didn't work Out so well for me :/ thanks so much @maxon !
Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th May 2015 at 11:31 AM
Sims doesn't delete save files when it uninstalls, IIRC. But you can definitely delete them manually.

What problems did you have with tarlia's templates?

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th May 2015 at 1:20 PM
TS2 sometimes does and sometimes doesn't delete user files, which is why you should back up if you don't want to lose them - luckily, deleting them yourself is magnificently easy.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 27th May 2015 at 8:39 PM
jvms - just to be clear. When you install TS2 and it's EPs, you get two sets of files.

You get the game files which usually reside on the C drive just like any other programme. Those, generally, you don't mess with unless you know what you are doing or have good instructions which you are able to follow competently.

Then you also get a set of files in My Documents. You can delete anything in there at will without harming the game (there are some exceptions for certain types of CC but you'd know about that I think if you had downloaded said CC). Deleting the whole lot, as you have found, resets everything to factory-fresh. Hooray! You can also reset the neighbourhoods but keep your CC by deleting the Neighbourhoods folder only instead of the whole lot. It's all good. There are also some files and folders in there that you might want to delete semi-regularly for good house-keeping purposes (especially the cache files).

I'm not sure about Tarlia's templates because I don't use them but if they're the same as other templates, it means altering the first set of files (you should always back up the files and folders you alter when you do this). If you did install files into your game folders, to reverse the situation, you have to revert all those files manually. PITA, I know, but if you did successfully install Tarlia's neighbourhoods and didn't uninstall fully, you might find they're still in effect. Except, hopefully, your uninstaller programme did, in fact, uninstall the game but left your My Documents files alone. Sounds likely to me anyway so fingers crossed. You can think of the My Documents files, BTW, as a sort of set of save game files.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th May 2015 at 2:40 AM
What I had installed from Tarlia's templates was an uberhood template. Im running the game right now and it seems I'm playing on regular maxis templates. So I properly uninstalled them then oh and @simsfreq the problems I had with her templates were that it was sort of buggy. I know that the maxis ones are buggy too, but so many errors kept on happening, and there were also relationship flags that weren't properly set, (at least in my game anyway). And every time I'd enter a lot, it would always give me a message saying that "someone has died on another lot" or something like that. I just didn't think it was worth it to run them.