Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th May 2015 at 8:36 AM Last edited by simsfreq : 27th May 2015 at 10:20 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default (Solved) AnyGameStarter has changed my documents path due to error - how to restore?
I tried to launch my Anygame the other day without realising that my DVD drive had come loose from the connection. I usually play AL using a securom-avoiding method, (I do own the disc! I can show you a picture if you like ) but I play Nightlife with AGS using a disc.

At some point, I'll open it up and reconnect it, because this has happened before, but for now it's irritating me that when AGS stalled in the middle of loading, it left the documents path pointing a different way. I can no longer go through Libraries > Documents, because that only shows me two EA Games folders. I have to go through C > Users > (me) > My Documents instead, which is okay but a bit annoying.

Is there a way to fix this a different way? I looked on the AGS page for FAQs and it said if this happens to launch the AGS installer, which will show a message saying that AGS has tried to fix my documents path. Then it said to restart, which I have done, but still nothing.

Any clues? I am not really confident to poke around in the registry without extremely detailed instructions.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th May 2015 at 8:58 AM
I don't have AGS installed any more, but in the files in Documents there's a file called something like RestoreDocuments.bat - run that as admin and it should fix up your library.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th May 2015 at 1:36 PM Last edited by simsfreq : 11th May 2015 at 1:48 PM.
Hmm. OK I found that, ran it, restarted, no change.

Halp? :S

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th May 2015 at 4:18 PM
Okay, in that case, let's take the nuclear option.

Open up your real Documents folder and cut and paste everything to a safe place, 'cause there's a chance that Windows will delete everything in Documents using this method. If you cut and paste the files to somewhere on the same hard disk, it'll be very quick - you can put them on a USB stick or something if you prefer, but it'll take longer. Afterwards, your Documents folder should still exist and be in the same place etc., but it should be empty. Bear in mind that this process will probably delete your AnyGame too.

Go to the Documents folder that AGS has made - as far as I recall the location is something like C:/Users/YourName/Documents/AGS/AnyGame1/Documents. If you can't find it, go to Libraries -> Documents and right click the EA Games folder in there, hit Properties and you should see the full path.

The Documents folder AGS made should have the little My Documents icon on it. Right-click it, hit Properties and go into the Location tab (if there isn't a location tab, you're looking at the wrong folder). Since your Documents are in C:/Users/YourName, you can use the Restore Default button or you can hit Move and find the folder yourself. Hit Apply.

Cut and paste all your stuff back into your Documents folder.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th May 2015 at 10:28 PM
Well, that's terrifying! Haha. OK, I'll give it a try. With everything backed up, in triplicate. <nervous>

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th May 2015 at 10:20 AM
Thought I would update - inexplicably, moving the My Documents folder to my desktop magically fixed my Libraries. Yay! So I didn't have to do any deleting. I moved it back, and it works fine. Thanks!

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th May 2015 at 1:21 PM
I'm glad you got it sorted out, even if I have no idea how that fixed it. :D