Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#76 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 11:06 AM
Valshea: Thats wrong.

Resource.cfg is in the right place but you have your Mods\Packages folder one level too low.

Move the Mods folder *into* the Sims 3 folder and it'll work.

andrea, Doesn't matter where you put your Sims 3 game. The resource.cfg doesn't have absolute paths. All you have to do is to find the folder and put the resource.cfg and make it work.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 11:34 AM
Hum, hi everybody, I may look stupid, but I actually followed all of the tutorial (which is really good and easy to follow) but the skin textures stay the same in the game, nothing change. I did put the resource.cfg in the root as for the mod file and I did put the packages files in the packages file. But still nothing work.

I tried it on CAS and can't find it so seeing I did everything right maybe it's just that I can't find those textures? Where are they? Are they replacing the skin colors or can I find them somewhere else (I tried to look but couldn't find something about it in the thread)?

Since i'm european I thought it may come from the game not being in english, but the main files are english.

Thanks again for your work, you're the guys who make people buy the sims and sorry for my stupid question but I just can't find the answer!
Scholar
#78 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 11:59 AM
Here is my problem:

I've dl the resource.cfg, created the folders and put all in the right places (yes, I've triple-checked it with the wiki).

When I start the game, there is the intro, then the loading screen and that's all. The game doesn't load, in the meantime I can cook dinner and still no progress. The only way to stop that is via the task-manager.

I've tried the resource.cfg from MATY too and got the same result.

Is there a way to put cc in my game? What am I doing wrong?
Test Subject
#79 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 12:27 PM
Thanks for your answer.

I re-installed once more the hole game.
I installed it directly on c:/... not like before on d:/games/... and now it works!

Thanks a lot for your great work!
Test Subject
#80 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 1:46 PM
Yeah, that was more of an "it's late and I'm tired" error. It actually is in /EA/The Sims 3, but I mis-typed. It sounds like it may be another case of sloppy programming, and C: is where it needs to be.
Test Subject
#81 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 2:00 PM
It´s not working for me. I don´t know why.

Game is in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts

Resource.cfg is in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Die Sims 3

Also added C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Die Sims 3\Mods\Packages and put the packages in it.

I use the german version but I see no problem with that in the path in the Resource.cfg
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#82 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 3:22 PM
Valshea, I have my Sims 3 installed on my P drive and it works fine. I don't think that the installed drive really is an issue.

Top Secret Researcher
#83 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nyane24
Does anyone aswer yet? I could find the asw.
Is it possible or not?

Yes, it's possible. A few posts above yours, I mentioned that mibsywibsy had posted instructions for doing this on MATY; here's the link: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...37734#msg437734

I tried it, putting Hysterical Paroxysm's new skins in a folder labeled "Skin Tones," and it worked just fine. You have to replace what's currently in your Resource.cfg with the lines she listed in her post. (This is the Resource.cfg that's in the Sims 3 directory -- the one that all the modders are explaining how to use -- not in any of its subfolders.)

Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Valshea, I have my Sims 3 installed on my P drive and it works fine. I don't think that the installed drive really is an issue.

*blink* You have a P drive? A ***P*** drive? Is that just whimsy, or do you truly have drives C through O, as well?

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#84 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 6:27 PM
Corylea, I have a C, J, N, P, T, U and W drive as hard drives, and D, E, G, H, I and K as removable storage.

Also, yes, as you say, you can use subfolders quite easily if you just edit it.

Test Subject
#85 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ajoya
Greetings all of you Mod Gods & Goddesses out there. I come to you today with a nervous twitch. See, I like to refer to myself as a geek goddess also- but I do believe there is a glitch in the matrix. I've been trouble shooting since 11:00p.m. and I still can't seem to find out my error.

Like many others I have set all files in place correctly. As I'm sure you all are getting tired of those who haven't- But I'm aware that 'Reading is very fundamental'.

Anyhow,
1) I have no sub-folders.
2) My Resource.cfg, Mod folder & Package folder are all located at: Start\My Computer\C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. (as pictured below.)
3) I'm working on a XP Service Pack 2.

And yet, when I put all of the lovely creations HP recently made for the game, only the 'No Sleep Zzzz's' works.

I've tried trouble shooting and updating the compressorizer, I've even rechecked my FrameWork Files.

But for some reason, the freaking patterns and body defaults just won't work! Arrrrr! Please help before I go bald. Maybe your eye will see something that my four just won't.

EA's out to get me & they just don't want me to create anymore.

Thanks for your time & efforts,
AjÖya™

oh i did put it wrong ty for the screen shots but now how do i extract the files?
Test Subject
#86 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:56 PM
Is anyone having trouble getting CC to show up in Vista? I am positive I have followed the directions perfectly, but it just doesn't work. I saw on another thread some Vista users were unable to get their content to work despite arranging the resource file and subfolders correctly, as described in the tutorial. Are there different directions for Vista? Please help!! Thank you.
Instructor
#87 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aeden
Is anyone having trouble getting CC to show up in Vista? I am positive I have followed the directions perfectly, but it just doesn't work. I saw on another thread some Vista users were unable to get their content to work despite arranging the resource file and subfolders correctly, as described in the tutorial. Are there different directions for Vista? Please help!! Thank you.

I have Vista 64-bit and nothing I have tried works. Period. I tried extracting the files to my desktop and manually moving them to the ...Mod/Package folders I created in the Sims 3 directory on my C drive, I have extracted them from within the folder, I have extracted them into the Mods folder and not the Packages folder, and any other combination you can think of. I have downloaded all of the applicable skin default files, the no sparklies file and the recolored floor edging file. None of them work - still body-hairless males, still get sparklies when I build, etc.

It seems that Vista is hit or miss here - some havde reported no problems with CC, others (like you and me) can't get anything to work. I don't blame anyone for the predicament, but the final reason that made me decide to get the Sims 3 was the availability of new default skins. So now I have a game that I don't want because I can't use CC and all my Sims look fake and plastic. I'm sad...

goderguy
Test Subject
#88 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by goderguy
I have Vista 64-bit and nothing I have tried works. Period. I tried extracting the files to my desktop and manually moving them to the ...Mod/Package folders I created in the Sims 3 directory on my C drive, I have extracted them from within the folder, I have extracted them into the Mods folder and not the Packages folder, and any other combination you can think of.(

I also have Vista 64-bit and I have had exactly the same experience, trying and retrying combinations, triple checking filepaths, moving everything manually, extracting them directly, but nothing works.

Quote: Originally posted by goderguy
So now I have a game that I don't want because I can't use CC and all my Sims look fake and plastic. I'm sad...

I feel exactly the same way. I am hopeful the hardworking, genius modders will figure something out, as it is all still so new - I am waiting and hoping to hear that someone who knows what they are doing is working on this!!
Instructor
#89 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aeden
I feel exactly the same way. I am hopeful the hardworking, genius modders will figure something out, as it is all still so new - I am waiting and hoping to hear that someone who knows what they are doing is working on this!!

I should have went with my gut and waited until bugs were worked out and more CC was available. But I had to have the bright shiny new object! LOL I think I will stick with TS2 for a while longer - I have plenty of CC, and every SP and EP available... Hours of fun left still!

All the modders and CC creaters rock - for both TS2 and TS3! Thanks for all your hard work - you make the games fun and more realistic and all that other good touchy-feely stuff!!!

goderguy
Test Subject
#90 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 9:25 PM
Subfolders - can I have them?

I was thinking to do something like this in Resource.cfg:

Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Mods/Files/... autoupdate
Priority 500
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/Patterns/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/Clothes/*.package
[..]
Priority 499
PackedFile Mods/Test/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Mods/Probation/*.package
Giblets for hire
#91 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lminchillo
Subfolders - can I have them?

I was thinking to do something like this in Resource.cfg:

Priority 501
DirectoryFiles Mods/Files/... autoupdate
Priority 500
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/Patterns/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/Clothes/*.package
[..]
Priority 499
PackedFile Mods/Test/*.package
Priority -50
PackedFile Mods/Probation/*.package
Yes you can!
Test Subject
#92 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 10:21 PM
Default Custom content not working
Quote: Originally posted by crazyharry
It´s not working for me. I don´t know why.

Game is in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts

Resource.cfg is in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Die Sims 3

Also added C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Die Sims 3\Mods\Packages and put the packages in it.

I use the german version but I see no problem with that in the path in the Resource.cfg

=================================================
I have installed the Sims 3, put the Resource.cfg in the correct place
and the .package files but when the program comes up it does not see the custom file ... what is wrong?

WindowsXP sp3 on a macbook pro
Test Subject
#93 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 10:25 PM
About the default replacement skins: I threw them in a new subfolder and edited the resource.cfg file just as it was shown in the MATY thread linked above... booted the game, and the default replacements were already on my previously made sims without having to change appearance or plan outfits. Also tested it in CAS and had my female take a shower. No green skin or any other problems so far. Hope it helps.
Test Subject
#94 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 11:06 PM
I need some serious help.. lol, I have read and reread this thread over and over, and everyone is just so darn confuseing as they all are talking about differant stuff, I have read the wiki tut, I have read the download install instructions, but there is no tut detailed here to make sure I am doing this correctly, I am new to the game as well as to Windows Vista. I need to know exactly how to and where to place the resource.cfg at, when I went into The file in my OS/Programs Xwhatever it is and then elec arts then game and bin etc: there was already a resource.cfg there, I assume that is the one i am not supose to go near.... I placed the downloaded resource.cfg that I got here into the fold of where the first one is. The comp changes thefile name to resourceI(2).cfg on its own and I can't change it... as then whatever will happen. I am sure. I have tried to change to the exact same name but there is no way you can do this. as the comp won't let it. Then there is the root folder ... hello where is that lol as I have no clue... some say you have to have one resource.cfg in the root and one in the os/progs X whatever etc: folder ... where I found the first one to be already... is there any one out there that can tell me word for word detail to detail... step by step how to do this... and if there is folders such as root explain where I would find this.... thanks so much in advance.
Test Subject
#95 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by purpleto280
I need some serious help.. lol, I have read and reread this thread over and over, and everyone is just so darn confuseing as they all are talking about differant stuff, I have read the wiki tut, I have read the download install instructions, but there is no tut detailed here to make sure I am doing this correctly, I am new to the game as well as to Windows Vista. I need to know exactly how to and where to place the resource.cfg at, when I went into The file in my OS/Programs Xwhatever it is and then elec arts then game and bin etc: there was already a resource.cfg there, I assume that is the one i am not supose to go near.... I placed the downloaded resource.cfg that I got here into the fold of where the first one is. The comp changes thefile name to resourceI(2).cfg on its own and I can't change it... as then whatever will happen. I am sure. I have tried to change to the exact same name but there is no way you can do this. as the comp won't let it. Then there is the root folder ... hello where is that lol as I have no clue... some say you have to have one resource.cfg in the root and one in the os/progs X whatever etc: folder ... where I found the first one to be already... is there any one out there that can tell me word for word detail to detail... step by step how to do this... and if there is folders such as root explain where I would find this.... thanks so much in advance.

I feel you. I need this kind of step-by-step help too. I feel like all the tutorials have been written for xp and not Vista. I hope someone out there can help, please, oh please! I would pay someone via paypal to talk me through it on skype or something if only they could help me figure this out!!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#96 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 11:16 PM
I'm pretty certain there is no mention of "OS/Programs Xwhatever" or "fold of where the first one is" or "os/progs X whatever etc" folders in any of the how-tos. It would probably help if you'd try to concentrate long enough to actually READ what the instructions say, not just skim over them.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#97 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 12:24 AM
Oh, I just realized that since i'm french the file is in "les sims 3" and not in "the sims 3" I'm gonna look if changing the file name may make it work (or crash the game XD) and I'm gonna try the subsection stuff too
Test Subject
#98 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Samain
Oh, I just realized that since i'm french the file is in "les sims 3" and not in "the sims 3" I'm gonna look if changing the file name may make it work (or crash the game XD) and I'm gonna try the subsection stuff too

I did the same. Changed from "Die Sims 3" to "The Sims 3". The game didn´t crash.. but the mods are still not running. I WANT NIPPLES!
Test Subject
#99 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 12:58 AM Last edited by Razvan : 7th Jun 2009 at 4:32 AM. Reason: added a "s"
My best Explanation of how to use custome content.
I had a lot of trouble with this.
I finally got it to work for the No Intro package.

My best explanation of how to use the custom content:
STEPS
1- Go to: Program Files> Electronic Arts> The Sims 3
2- In "The Sims 3" folder create a new folder named "Mods"
3- Open the new "Mods" folder
4- In the "Mods" folder, create a new folder called "Packages"
5- When you down load files, find the files with "packages" at the end and place them in the "Packages" folder.
6- Download the "Resource.cfg" file available at: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=342820
7- Place the "Resource.cfg" file into Program Files> Electronic Arts> The Sim 3

Start the game and see if it works! If not, make sure you followed the steps.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#100 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 1:07 AM
Razvan you know thats exactly what we have in the wiki guide, right?

Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Ancient thread, from the dawn of time.
Page 4 of 11