Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#76 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 10:49 AM
It's here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg493889
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read Pescado's comment.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#77 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 11:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Julieryc
withrwithoutyu, how do you go about changing last name in SimPE? I've never just changed the last name in the place where it's obvious to make the modification, because I recall hearing it was bad and that additional changes had to be made in SimPE if you were to do it that way. (I don't remember where/when I heard it, so if anyone can chime in, please go ahead.

It's not bad per se (first or last names), changing in SimPE just doesn't change all the instances of the name. I use the bat box when I want a permanent change for a playable but I clone over my NPC sims all the time and only change those names in SimPE. As I recall it, Pescado didn't say it was dangerous just not particularly helpful, especially with sim files that are being overwritten constantly (i.e. the playables).
Field Researcher
#78 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 7:57 PM
I am assuming by sexist you mean traditional roles (e.g women as housewife, man being the breadwinner) but what do you refer as the non-traditional roles (e.g woman being the breadwinner, man being a stay at home dad).

I am not trying to make any of my sims traditional or non-traditional I often just go with how the game is going. I do have CAS households that are not traditional same-sex couples, 3 generation household, divorced, and single parents. Plus I do have some CAS nuclear famlies as well.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people!
Mad Poster
#79 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 8:42 PM
I think by sexist she basically means privileging one sex over the other or playing to stereotypes. These stereotypes may or may not be the traditional ones of the culture you come from. Merely reversing roles would still be sexist.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#80 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 8:59 AM Last edited by Rectos Dominos : 10th Jun 2011 at 7:06 PM.
I come from Canada, not exactly the epitome of tradition. Most families I know have both parents/partners work, or don't believe women should be barefoot and pregnant and I live in a rural area.

I am definitely not sexist in my game. Most households in my game have both parents work except for one but that was because of glitch and as soon as I send her to work it would automatically cancel so I just had her be a trophy wife since she looked the part. I like to have a variety of households.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people!
Theorist
#81 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 7:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nalia
It's here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg493889
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read Pescado's comment.

It's the third day that this link doesn't work for me, so I decided to ask: is MATY really down? It's a shame, I was looking forward to an explanation
Field Researcher
#82 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 9:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
It's the third day that this link doesn't work for me, so I decided to ask: is MATY really down? It's a shame, I was looking forward to an explanation

Works fine for me?
Theorist
#83 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 10:26 AM
It finally works for me, too.

That said, how do you change the first name with the batbox, as he suggests? I don't see such an option on it.
Field Researcher
#84 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 2:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
It finally works for me, too.

That said, how do you change the first name with the batbox, as he suggests? I don't see such an option on it.

Shift-click on the batbox with testing cheats on.
Test Subject
#85 Old 24th Jun 2011 at 6:21 AM Last edited by H.R.HMabs : 24th Jun 2011 at 6:23 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
I certainly have no gender bias in real life and that fairly well translates to my Sims. (Was raised very unconventionally, so I never really bought into gender-specific roles.)

It's not gender that determines who wears the pants of my Sim families - it's simply personality. For me, dominant personality rules the house - whether it's female or male. I don't really tend to make things biased for the majority. Some families I'll have a working wife and a stay at home husband, for others I'll have the opposite, and for the rest they usually have both parents working or both stay at home. (Often the driving factor for sending one or the other to work is to get them out of the way while I build up the rest of the family. Too many to manage at once drives me up the wall!) I love having plenty of gay and lesbian couples and I tend to make all my Sims stray into the realms of bisexuality. (In fact, I don't think straight-only exists in my neighbourhoods!)

Who leaps into whose arms for a hug is - once again - dominant personality vs submissive for me. Definitely not gender.

For practical reasons I bump up all their mechanical skills without being gender specific because I don't like idiotic Sims getting into trouble with appliances, etc. I find that I'll create a character with a very specific personality in mind, so if I've just put together a sweet but tizzy male or female, then they will invariably be the submissive of the household. Personality is always the driving factor for me in regards to submissive/dominant roles and masculine/feminine traits.

I enjoy masculine traits in my female Sims and feminine ones in my males and vice versa, so I tend to have a pretty broad mix in my neighbourhood. As for make-up, I often don't bother with it much unless I want either an ultra glamorous or ultra gothic character - male or female.

If I have any leaning at all, it's probably somewhat towards the female being dominant and the male being submissive for my general 'filler' families. For the families I really love and use often, it's probably most common for things to be equal.

My biggest bias is actually arts vs business. I'm extremely keen on the former, so - male or female - I almost always lean them towards leisurely or artistic interests.

Very interesting topic you have here. I think the beauty of the Sims is that we have such a marvellous amount of freedom in creating diverse - or not so diverse - neighbourhoods for ourselves. And I love getting a peek at how other people like to play
Field Researcher
#86 Old 24th Jun 2011 at 8:14 AM Last edited by tiffyandthewall : 24th Jun 2011 at 8:28 AM.
I don't have any pattern at all when it comes to the gender roles my sims fill. I always end up having a couple, but sometimes they're male and female, sometimes they're two women, and sometimes they're two men. Sometimes my female sims end up being excessively traditionally feminine (lace, pink, makeup, and nurturing personalities, etc) and sometimes they're not. Sometimes I have a male sim who spends most of his time raising the kids while his wife is out climbing the political ladder at work. I go with whatever strikes me. I also have mods that allow for same-sex couple pregnancy.
As far as last names, I pick whichever I like more, or whichever is the legacy name if I'm playing a legacy family (or with sims 3, whoever has the least amount of people of the same last name running about town).
I generally start off playing a female sim, which is probably because I'm a girl, but the way they act and dress and who they date is pretty random.
I don't usually limit my sims by stereotypes either - my sim's low cut top doesn't mean she's got ten 'woohoo partners', and if she does have ten woohoo partners, it doesn't mean she isn't also brilliant at her career, and a good parent if she has a kid.
As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with 'traditional' couples, or 'traditional' stereotypes, just as there's nothing wrong with going a different route.
Test Subject
#87 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 11:13 AM
Wow, I was never going to use this forum but I found this thread so interesting I had to comment!

Quote: Originally posted by tiffyandthewall
I don't have any pattern at all when it comes to the gender roles my sims fill. I always end up having a couple, but sometimes they're male and female, sometimes they're two women, and sometimes they're two men. Sometimes my female sims end up being excessively traditionally feminine (lace, pink, makeup, and nurturing personalities, etc) and sometimes they're not. Sometimes I have a male sim who spends most of his time raising the kids while his wife is out climbing the political ladder at work. I go with whatever strikes me. I also have mods that allow for same-sex couple pregnancy.
As far as last names, I pick whichever I like more, or whichever is the legacy name if I'm playing a legacy family (or with sims 3, whoever has the least amount of people of the same last name running about town).
I generally start off playing a female sim, which is probably because I'm a girl, but the way they act and dress and who they date is pretty random.
I don't usually limit my sims by stereotypes either - my sim's low cut top doesn't mean she's got ten 'woohoo partners', and if she does have ten woohoo partners, it doesn't mean she isn't also brilliant at her career, and a good parent if she has a kid.
As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with 'traditional' couples, or 'traditional' stereotypes, just as there's nothing wrong with going a different route.

I tend to game like that as well. That is, whatever strikes me as interesting I'll do e.g. two males, two females (less so) and heterosexual couples.

Although perhaps because it is because of my own upbringing that, in a sense, I tend to be a bit sexist towards male sims. Generally, it's the female I usually play with e.g. work towards her promotion, make her explore sims town, go accross worlds. Maybe cos I was brought up with a bias towards gender stereotypes, so, for example, I go the opposite of what is considered traditional, and make the female propose to the male, (although that is not to say I don't do the opposite ). Little things like that, but difinately something which is telling in my own gameplay.
meh, it's what I love about the sims. You can pretty much direct what you wan't to happen. which is the whole point.
Instructor
#88 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 11:46 AM
I mostly tend to gravitate toward their personality rather than gender. I do admit I tend to have 70% playables as males.... and the females usually come from the male families. But, I think that's just my way of playing.
Mad Poster
#89 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 3:06 PM
I just realized this morning that my only unfaithful spouses - insofar as it is within my power to control, given that accepting a flirt is recalled as "having an affair" - are men. The Romance and Pleasure aspirationed women either don't believe in marriage at all or avoid both marriage and married men on the grounds that marriage is sacred and they aren't suited to it. This almost certainly is down to my perception of reality and is a bit ugly of me, especially considering that two of the men who carry on affairs have Romance only as a secondary.

On the other hand, the only cheater in the "bored housewife" role is a man, so that's something.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 3:47 PM
Women are things. And my gaming reflects that.

Nah, just kidding. I keep my simming pretty traditional. Y'know when not playing them in a Zombie Apocalypse. The man and woman both carry on jobs unless they're rich, which case they trade off dealing with the day to day stuff as it comes up. I don't like high-heels on any of my Sim women as I hate high heels on real women. My woman sims rarely wear skirts or dresses unless in a formal setting. The woman always takes the man's last name because I personally don't find anything wrong with that. Otherwise, they pretty much split everything 50/50 and each build up skills in everything equally. Usually when I create a sim family, it's in college, and all male. Then eventually create women around them to meet and develop them, because the default women are usually pretty fug.
Test Subject
#91 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 3:58 PM
i usually start as a girl, probubly cuz i am one, maybe because i find it easyier to find good custom clothes for women. i just perfer to play women, if i need them to get married i wiil just make a nice male to date them. i dont use maxis defult sims because of the fuglyness of them

.(\__/) You wanna Know were to get free mirror floor tiles?
.(='.'=)
.(")_(")

here u go!
Mad Poster
#92 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dustingdustin
Women are things. And my gaming reflects that.

Feeling the need to flirt with danger today, are we?

I don't think I have sexist tendencies in my game. Not any major ones, at least. I have no gender preferences for who inherits the family homestead, who takes whose name in marriage, who stays home with the kids, what sorts of careers they go into, or hobbies they take up.

About the only thing I can think of that would be sexist is a small bias about proposing engagement, preferring male sims to do this, where possible.
Mad Poster
#93 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 11:03 PM
I personally don't even define by gender, orientation, or anything. All sims (and people) should have equal rights, so I just go by what they want to do with their lives, and what their personality on free will mode tells me about them. I have more than a few trans sims in my game so this rule comes into play a lot.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 20th Nov 2011 at 11:42 PM
I would say that I'm pretty free thinking in my own Sims playing. I will just as easily have traditional Sim families, as I will have gay , lesbian, or interracial couples. In my games I play each Sim in a family each trying their best to fulfill their lifetime desires, and often it's whoever is closest or caused the problem when it comes to cooking, home repair, or taking care of the children.

The who proposes to whom generally doesn't matter but I like to keep the lots named after the family so if the lot was named after a female Sim (ie. the Caliente household) then either Dina or Nina would propose and the lucky or unlucky guy (because of the girl's personalities and story function) would take on the Caliente last name.

As for preferences, I like to see whom my Sim heart farts over to determine whether they will be heterosexual, bisexual, or homosexual, and indeed it is often interesting to see some happily married men or women in my game who secretly have fallen in love with their same sex best friends and depending on their personalities I either let them go for it, or don't, because for me the Sims is all about the drama that unfolds in their Simulated world.
Banned
#95 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 12:26 AM
Oh I'm a very sexist Simmer.

Guys MUST initiate romantic interactions/Woohoo/cuddling. MUST.

Girls MUST initiate leap into arms.

Girls are not allowed to kiss guy's hands in my game. It's too weird.

I'm sorry but since when do girls pick up guys and whatnot?
Instructor
#96 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 1:04 AM
All male sims (except for the NPCs or the ugly ones) have to walk around shirtless, but the female sims can't.

Male sims must propose to the female sim unless the "relationship roles" are reversed (etc. guy sim is sensitive and a tad effeminate; girl sim is tough and tom-boyish).

Male sims can get portraits painted of them, but not females (unless I like the sim a lot; in a male CAS-created sim's case, always)

Female sims can goose guys, other male sims can goose guys...but females are rarely goosed.

Male sims all have their privacy invaded when they're taking a shower...but females get no camera time at all (or screen time for that matter).

My male Sims are...Simulicious!
Mad Poster
#97 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 1:05 AM
Um...by at least 1979, sweetie. That's the year I graduated high school, and I did not become Queen of the Geeks by waiting for guys to initiate anything.

Lab Assistant
#98 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 1:29 AM
Yeaaah....the guys go WAY too effeminate when getting the arm kisses. It definitely ruins a masculine character when he goes all gooey eyed from arm kisses.

I think there's a bit of unintended racism in how I play. I've never made a black character. I have no idea why, I mean, I HAVE black sims dl'd, too. I also never have gay or lesbian sims. No real reason on that one either.
Mad Poster
#99 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 1:34 AM
I don't think I am.

"Heir" (The one that moves back in with the parents) is the one with the best relationship with the parents regardless of gender. Other siblings move into their own house and eventually have their own spouse.

Who proposes marriage and who's last name gets changed is based on who I'm controlling at the time, sometimes the woman's last name gets changed and sometimes its the man's.

Who initiates flirts/kisses/woohoo is based on wants in the Sim's panel. It isn't one over the other.

Males and Females both have jobs it they want them, and both get promoted. (The female's may be delayed by maternity leave while pregnant, but she does get promoted eventually. She doesn't get left at home because she's female.)

I try to get the parents to interact with the kids equally, but it doesn't always work out.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#100 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 2:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Deryn
As for preferences, I like to see whom my Sim heart farts over to determine whether they will be heterosexual, bisexual, or homosexual, and indeed it is often interesting to see some happily married men or women in my game who secretly have fallen in love with their same sex best friends and depending on their personalities I either let them go for it, or don't, because for me the Sims is all about the drama that unfolds in their Simulated world.

Um .... I've said it on here before and so I'll say it again but I think you won't like it. <deep breath> The heart-farting is not expressing a preference. It's a (hidden) memory - it might well be your sim's best friend's husband's memory where he's told your sim that he thinks his wife is hot. You'll see children heart-farting often about a parent - it's usually where one parent has gossiped at the dinner table about how s/he likes his spouse. Sorry.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Page 4 of 5