Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 7:53 PM Last edited by Pirat3 : 16th Mar 2015 at 10:11 PM.
Default Where can I find tutorials for creating multi-story windows and doors/gates
What the title says. Surprisingly, I'm having a hard time to find a tutorial for this. Can anyone help me out?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 8:45 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Mar 2015 at 8:57 PM.
Multi-story windows are easy, if you use those that came with the EPs. Put up the windows before you make floors, and shape the floors around the windows.

As for multi-story doors or gates, I'm not sure what you mean, and I don't think I've seen it. Got an example picture from ingame? Might just be that people have downloaded higher gates or CC doors.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 10:56 PM
Or are you trying to make your own CC windows/doors?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 11:36 PM
Didn't even think of tutorials for creating...

Here's one for wallmasks (doors/windows)
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=153754

One for custom windows (not sure if there's any big difference for two-storey ones, but you'll have to clone a two-storey window)
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=98436

I don't know if there is one for doors, but could actually need one for myself. I can imagine that gates work like a mixture between doors and fences, minus the wallmask.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th Mar 2015 at 12:37 AM
There's no real difference except that you have more OBJDs and more wallmasks. That's assuming that there is already a window or door in teh game of the size you want - if you want to make a size which hasn't ever been done before, that'll require more experience.

Scholar
#6 Old 17th Mar 2015 at 12:38 AM
I'm not a creator, but couldn't you just clone one of the 2 story doors in the game the same way you would a 2 story window?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th Mar 2015 at 12:40 AM
Yep, indeed.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 6:11 PM
My last post was quite brief, so I'll elaborate on what I need done. I'd like to know how I set the "level height" of both gates and windows (if that's possible). Standard is 16 clicks per level.

Because I had to create a dummy level for my new mansion, multi-level objects have to be 4 clicks and 16 clicks high and not 16/16. See picture below to see how it looks now.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 6:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the floor height for two-stoerey doors and windows should be two full floors without any dummy levels between. Probably something to do with the wall cutouts. Doors and windows are generally very picky about where you can place them. While floors and walls can be tricked, doors and windows will just throw a faulty wall cutout at you if they're not happy about their placement, or if there's something else in the way. The easiest way to find out whether or not you can place them on a wall is to do it cheat-free. If you can't place them in a certain spot, they will most likely create troubles if you place them there with Moveobjects.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 7:25 PM
I just placed a two-story door on two full floors (16/16), then changed the height of the lower level to 4 clicks with Gridadjuster. Afterward the door still functioned as before. So I guess all I need to do is to convert the doors and windows that I've used to standard two-levels objects.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#11 Old 19th Mar 2015 at 10:48 PM
Huh, did the cutaway work or did you still have the graphical glitch in your pic?