Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 7:35 AM Last edited by justJones : 9th Feb 2014 at 3:24 PM.
Default The Colony, Sims Style! (A New Challenge!)
It has been only been about a week since a virus has wiped out most of the sim population, only a few have survived, most were taken by the goverment to quarantine camps, others escaped being captured, only to survive by themselves. Those who were brought in by the goverment are quarantined for forty-eight hours before being taken to their new colony, a place they aren't told the location of beforehand, they're instructed that they just have to survive until the government comes back for them.
This is where the story starts, six sims are dropped off at their new home with just the bare essentials, how will they survive?

The main base of this challenge is to have your sims last for twenty sim weeks, with atleast one sim surviving at the end of those twenty weeks, this is when the government will come into 'rescue' the remaining colonists. The sims must survive on whatever they can scrounge up, fish for, plant, etc.

Rules

1). No cheats. The only cheat acceptable for this challenge is the freerealestate cheat, which may only be used for the initial move into the colonist's home. Once the colonists are move into their home, you must also reduce the family funds to zero simoleons by any means, either using the familyfunds cheat, or by buying items. However, if you buy items they must be placed in the family inventory, not ever being used.

2). The challenge starts with six sims, varying ages(young adult through elder, no younger then young adult) and genders preferred, you may make them look however you like.

3). The main household has to stay in the starting house for the whole challenge, and no sims are permitted to move out, or move anyone in.

4). There are only a few trait restrictions for this challenge, only one sim per household may have the green thumb trait, angler trait, handy trait, savvy sculptor trait, artistic trait, and the eccentric trait. Though, three sims in the household must have the kleptomaniac trait.

5). No sim may head out into the city alone, three or more must head out together, and be together at all times.

6). Sims are not allowed to travel, they may never leave their home for extended periods of times, other then going out to forage for supplies.

7). Sims are only allowed some of the basic items, since the apocalypse the world hasn't had any electricity, water or other main essentials. This means no items that require electricity or water, until the sims figure out how to substitute these items. Though, since sims need atleast a toilet, you're allowed to have one toilet in the household. (See unlocking to figure out to accquire some of these items)

8). Sims may not have any vehicles until said items are unlocked, they must travel everywhere by foot.

9). Due to the world ending, sims may not have jobs, they must rely on their skills to get them simoleons. Also, all community lots must be set to not allow any visitors, so no going to the store to shop, or to the spa, etc. The consignment shop will be open, however, this must be unlocked(See unlocking to figure out to accquire some of these items). However, sims may head to other sims camps and loot there, but they must not come into physical contact with the sims living in the house.

10). The lifespan may be set to long, or epic, try normal for a greater challenge, as this means that elder sims may pass away.

11). You may not use any motive changing lifetime rewards.

12). Any sims that die during the challenge, their ghosts must be kept on the lot.

13). There are specific lots that must be used in each town for this challenge.
Riverview: All the Rave Warehouse - 47 Industrial Drive
Sunset Valley: Crystal Springs - Redwood Cove
Twinbrook: River Junction Beach Park - 1267 Lakefront Drive
Bridgeport: Waylon's Haunt - 30 Packard Lane

14). When you move the colonists into their lot, you must sell all the objects on this lot, except for a toilet, and a bookcase. With this money, you must buy enough cheap beds for each of the colonists, have a single chair for each colonist, and a table. Make sure to reduce the family funds to zero after this.

15). In the neighborhood, all households except for three must be deleted, the houses may be left behind.

Note: Opportunities will not be able to be done in this challenge, so just cancel any you get out.

Surviving
The main essentials of surviving are shelter, security, food, electricity, and water. Sims have shelter for the time being, but they must scavenge for food, by either planting or fishing. The sims also must find a way to get water and electricity, this will be an ongoing project throughout the challenge.

Quarantine
No one is sure what started the virus, or how it is spread, but those who aren't infected are cautioned to not make any physical contact with those who they aren't sure are infected or not. Those who come into contact with outsiders must be in quarantine for twelve hours, as well as those who throw up, for any reasons.

Building
Security is a must, mainly to keep outsiders out, and those inside the colony safe. Also, sims may want to build other things as well, such as smaller buildings on the lot, and other things. In order to build things, the colonists must collect scrap from the junkyard, and also must have enough simoleons on had to complete the buildings.

Consignment Shop
The consignment shop will be unlocked in week three of the challenge, sims will then be able to sell some of their items, and pick up other items at the shop that may be useful to them. This is where the colonists will be able to buy items that are hard to find in the new world, so be concious on what you pick, simoleons are hard to come by.

Other Colonists
On week three, two more colonists will be introduced to the main house. Their traits must stay within the trait limits listed above, but you may have one of these sims have the klepto trait, even if there are already three sims in the first household with said trait.

Junkyard
Sims must collect a certain number of scraps in order to build things, the number of scraps varies from project to project. Also, sims may collect junk objects here, take them home, and 'fix' them to use em, or sell them. In order to be able to fix objects up, a sim in the house must be a level five in handiness skill.
-Fence: In order to make sure the property is safe, a fence must be built around the house. It costs two pieces of scrap per piece of fence, the 'used' pieces of scrap must be deleted after use.
-Building: In order to add a room onto the property, or another small building, it'll cost ten pieces of scrap per wall, the 'used' pieces of scrap must be deleted after use.

Skill Objects
One type of every skill object may be bought for the house when the colonists get the simoleon, there is no restriction on this.

Unlocking
Certain things will be unlocked as the colonists complete certain goals, such as certain objects that use water, electricity, and other objects.

Water - This includes showers, sinks, and sprinklers. The colonists will have a short supply of water, so they're only allowed one shower, two sinks, and four sprinklers. Water is unlocked when all sims in the house get to level five in a skill, but the objects using water are unlocked seperately. This is an essential, so try to get this as quickly as possible. Also, only the cheapest items may be bought.
-Sink: When a sim gets to level one of the handiness skill.
-Shower: When a sim in the household becomes best friends with three sims, and a sim reaches level eight in handiness skill.
-Sprinklers: When a sim reaches level five in the gardening skill, and one sim reaches level two in handiness skill.

Electricity - This includes televisions, radios, etc. Due to having limited power resources, the colonists may only have one television, one radio, two small appliances, and a light for each room, these also must be the cheapest items. Electricity is unlocked when each sim in the household maxes a skill, but the objects using electricity are unlocked seperately.
-Fridge: When a sim in the household gets to level five of the cooking skill.
-Stove: When a sim in the household maxes the cooking skill.
-Television: When a sim in the household gets to level four of the inventor skill, and one sim gets to level three of the handiness skill.
-Radio: When a sim in the household gets to level three of the inventor skill, and one sim gets to level two of the handiness skill.

Note: Sims in the household are only able to max the cooking skill by watching television, or purchasing the books at the consignment shop.

Luxury Objects - This includes couches, double beds, entertainment devices, and counters.
-Microwave: When a sim reaches level two in the cooking skill.
-Coffee Machine: When a sim in the household befriends all sims.
-Fire pit: When a sim gets to level five in the fishing skill.
-Grill: When two sims in the house max the cooking skill, and one sim gets to level five in the fishing skill.
-Double bed: When two or more sims in the house fall in love.
-Couch: When a sim in the household becomes friends with another sim.
-Computer: Four sims in the household must max handiness skill, and the inventing skill.
-Burglar Alarm: Have a burglar in the home.
-Fire Alarm: Have a fire in the home.
Entertainment objects: Any entertainment objects must either be found in the junkyard, or consignment shop. Also, a sim must be maxed in inventing and handiness for these to be able to be bought.

Note: You must unlock electricity and water in order to unlock any luxury objects that use such resources.

Transportation - This includes bicycles, motorcycles, and vehicles. You may have one bicycle per sim, but due to lack of gas, you may only have one motorcycle in the household, and/or one car.
-Bicycle/motortcycle: When a sim in the household gets to level five in the inventing skill, and another sim gets to level five in the handiness skill.
-Car: When two sims in the house max the inventing skill, and two sims in the house max the handiness skill.

2 point for every object unlocked.
5 points for every sim alive when the challenge ends.
Total possible points = 94

Questions? Concerns? Comments? Post them here!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 12:08 AM
You put a lot of thought into this and I love the Apocalypse type of thing. It has been done in varying forms. But I say NO tv at least until third generation adults. Who is gonna be on TV in the beginning? but I like to play it out as in rebuilding the whole sim world. Certain professions and objects don't open up until the world is built up a bit through the generations. I like to just give them a radio, radio signals will always be available and there may be other survivors. and no car. They can salvage a bike from somewhere. Also, I never give them a stove. They use that upgraded fire pit, which you can cook fish on. You can make it harder where the fish are radioactive so no fishing same with gardening until such and such time, I've done that and it's killer! I like to make it as "scavenging" as possible. I like the idea of wiping out all the other sims in town. The houses stay to be broken into and scavenged. Not sure how that would work, haven't tried it. How about digging through the garbage cans also? I love your ideas about the scrap yard. Excellent. and the ideas about water. All in all a good challenge!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 10:07 PM
How exactly does the junkyard work???

Zebra Maxidress in 5 Colors

I made a tutorial! Check it out here.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 11:02 PM
Cool idea. And I can finally use AwesomeMod's destroyAllHumans cheat. Poison their asses with poisonous gasses! >:3

The future is bulletproof,
The aftermath is secondary,
It's time to do it now and do it loud,
Killjoys, make some noise!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 7:06 AM
Sorry for the long wait, been busy!

@jerin8: Thank you! You have a lot of great ideas to consider, I may have to make some improvements to the challenge.

@lipglosschaos: You can dig through the junk piles for scrap, you need scrap to 'build' things.

@Six_by_Nine: XD

Thanks. I hope you have fun destroying all sims!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 24th Nov 2010 at 6:42 PM
But what junk piles!?!? And what scrap?

Is this a mod or is it already in the warehouse?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Nov 2010 at 3:18 PM
Junk piles come with ambitions, so does the junkyard.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 27th Nov 2010 at 2:02 AM
Ahh, I see. Allright then.

Field Researcher
#9 Old 2nd Dec 2010 at 5:17 PM
This reminds me of I Am Legend or The Passage but sims style!! It's great!

But I don't really understand the unlocking things part... Say for example the sink. Do the sims firstly have to each have 5 skill points in a skill... Then someone as to get a skill point in handiness? Oh, I don't know - it's confusing me a bit "/
Test Subject
#10 Old 4th Mar 2011 at 11:16 PM
this sounds sooo cool.i made an apocolypse challenge to.im gonna make a special quarintene room,with a bed a chair and a fridge,and a locked door.it should have a fridge cos else they will starve to death.

sims are be teh awsome way of life[I][B]
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 5:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nettybee
13). There are specific lots that must be used in each town for this challenge.
Riverview: All the Rave Warehouse - 47 Industrial Drive
Sunset Valley: Crystal Springs - Redwood Cove
Twinbrook: River Junction Beach Park - 1267 Lakefront Drive
Bridgeport: Waylon's Haunt - 30 Packard Lane

Please clarify for me...does this mean these are the lots our sims must live on or that they have to visit them alot?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 3:42 PM
Sorry about the delay in answering some of these posts!

@Lily__XD: I'm glad you like it!

As for what you're confused about. Lets use the sprinklers as an example. One sim has to get to atleast level 5 in gardening to be able to use them, that same sim, or a different one, has to get at least a level two in handiness as well.

@ladygaga2sims: I'm glad you like it! =D

@corihummel77: They must live on those lots, because those are the only ones that are guaranteed to be safe by the government.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 4:00 PM
Thank you
Field Researcher
#14 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 4:04 PM
Aaaah thanks - I actually gave up playing this a while back but I had great fun doing it anywho! :D

Google has the answers. Not me.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 14th Dec 2013 at 12:59 AM
I really liked this challenge when I played it. I've been looking for the rules again for a while. Thought I would give it a bump and see if anyone comes back and gives it a shot again.